Author Topic: Nintendo going mobile!  (Read 8824 times)

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Nintendo going mobile!
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2015, 10:42:46 pm »
Funny that Nintendo is being praised on the move and SEGA was criticized for it a couple of months ago and had a bunch of clickbait articles.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2015, 07:50:30 am »
Funny that Nintendo is being praised on the move and SEGA was criticized for it a couple of months ago and had a bunch of clickbait articles.
I really hope Nintendo doesn't follow SEGA's model of farming out their franchises to Western developers to make low budget "free" titles that nickle and dime you every few minutes.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2015, 08:45:22 am »
Ive been taking big distance from companies who "sell their soul"(so to speak).

Nintendo will lose me if it ends being that way.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2015, 08:54:46 am »
I really hope Nintendo doesn't follow SEGA's model of farming out their franchises to Western developers to make low budget "free" titles that nickle and dime you every few minutes.

Most of SEGA Networks F2P titles have been surprisingly decent. Far superior to Hardlight's offerings, at least that's what I feel.

Ive been taking big distance from companies who "sell their soul"(so to speak).

Nintendo will lose me if it ends being that way.

These are companies, they have no souls haha. Come on, it's if they deliver a good product without screwing you over, that's all that matters.

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2015, 10:22:05 am »
This is fascinating news. To be honest, the mobile thing is less interesting to me then the other tidbit they threw out.

There's a bunch of articles online now from "journalists" talking up which games will be going to mobile now. Nintendo is not that stupid. Here's how I see it play out. DeNa will develop brand new titles using Nintendo IP which will be fun and short and push people towards "if you like this, you need to get the full titles on our console and handheld". This is a side thing to make a quick buck and advertise their main projects, their hardware. This is not to say they can't be fun but that is all I see them being.

The new hardware, currently called the NX (which is a far better name already than the Wii U) is interesting in it's timing. They teased a reveal of the tech next year, which would suggest E3 reveal leading to Christmas 2016 launch. This would give the Wii U a 4 year life span, short enough that they can get back into the game quickly while not being too short to hurt them in the eyes of the public or retailers ( or 3rd party publishers if they existed on the format), a mistake Sega made a number of times. I think the Wii U will end up being looked at in a similar vein to the Dreamcast (though less so) in that it will be a machine with a great library which no one bought at the time.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2015, 12:10:59 pm »
People over-reacted to Sega doing this because they haven't been doing much in the home sector that was good/not licensed.

Nintendo still has a really strong line up for their console market.

I can see why people flipped their shit for Sega but just kind of took it in stride for Nintendo.

Either way, mobile phone games huh? Little to no interest as usual. Maybe they can make a Mario infinite runner.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2015, 01:02:23 pm »
With Sega it wasn't anything new anyways. For some reason the journalists don't bother to read annual reports...

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2015, 02:28:22 pm »
Most of SEGA Networks F2P titles have been surprisingly decent. Far superior to Hardlight's offerings, at least that's what I feel.

It's not so much the quality of the games that bugs me, it's the whole F2P model. Same issue with Plants vs. Zombies 2. There's a good game in there, but I'd rather be able to buy it outright, and not have to pay here and there to get past artificial roadblocks.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2015, 02:32:06 pm »
It's not so much the quality of the games that bugs me, it's the whole F2P model. Same issue with Plants vs. Zombies 2. There's a good game in there, but I'd rather be able to buy it outright, and not have to pay here and there to get past artificial roadblocks.

I've yet to spend any sort of cash in either Sonic Runners and Chain Chronicle and I don't feel either get too difficult personally. Only bad thing is the AP regeneration but neither has bugged me yet in either game.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2015, 02:41:43 pm »
My issue is that most mobile games don't feel like games so much as timewasters. Unless they are emulated/ports, in which case most of the time the controls are horrid because touch screen.

A few exceptions I can think of:
Knights of the Old Republic
... actually that's probably it.

Hitman Go is the only other real mobile game I have, and I'm glad I didn't pay more than a dollar for it. It's kind of a fun puzzler game, but I find myself wanting to read a book or listen to music when I'm on the train instead of playing it.

I should look into a decent strategy title, that's something I could see working on touch screens well. Turn based or city building fare.