Author Topic: Always bet on Duke! Duke Nukem Forever lives?  (Read 14988 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Always bet on Duke! Duke Nukem Forever lives?
« Reply #30 on: September 06, 2010, 12:32:46 pm »
It's an old-school no-bullshit shooter.
As long as character and gun models look nice, explosions are big, and the areas interesting, the graphics will be fine. Minimum graphical level expected would be something in the lines of Prey.

But, in contradiction with fluffy, this is meant to be an excellent game (that's the whole excuse for being in development for 14 years). And as such, it is a possible contender to GOTY.

It's like a cheesy 90's movie. If released today with all the best actors of back then it would stand out and possibly be more entertaining than any other 2010 film.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #31 on: September 06, 2010, 12:39:37 pm »
Quote from: "George"
Hopefully Gearbox isn't doing too many games at once. They called Borderlands a franchise, obviously they are working on a new one for that, then there is a new Brothers in Arms games, a unannounced Pitchfork game, they confirmed Aliens: Colonial Marines is still in the works, and lastly this game.

A bit much, no?

The team working on a game changes size depending on the stage of the project. Some of those titles you mentioned may still be in pre-production. While a small number of elements work on design concepts and such, the majority are building the actual game. Apart from that, we don't know if they outsource some of the work as well.

There was a time Sonic Team had a number of games in production (Samba, PSO, Adventure 2, Chu Chu...?) and they all ended up being pretty good. It's a matter of allotting your resources.

Gearbox is a reliable developer.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #32 on: September 06, 2010, 08:14:32 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
No they aren't. The "biggest" Duke fans will be happy just to even be able to play the damn game. For the longest time, it appeared that it would be lost to them forever.

I feel like ripping your head off and shitting down your neck!

First of all I fall in the category of biggest Duke Fans.

I have finished Total Meltdown, Time To Kill, Land of the Babes and Manhattan Project. Had I owned an N64 I would've even finished Zero Hour.

Am I happy to see the game is coming out, you bet your fluffyness I am!
Do I think the graphics are a concern, you bet your fluffyness I am!
Is it going to let that stop me from buying the game, not really.

If you're bothered by outdated graphics and gameplay, then this just isn't the game for you.

First of all nobody is worried about the games gameplay, we all know it is going to be awesome in every way. Several die hard fans interviewed at Pax expressed concerns about the graphics, it is offensive when you say the game isn't for me.

The people who want to try it are interested for other reasons. Some people will play it for nostalgia's sake. Some people will want to see what all the fuss was about. Some people will even play this game for the same reason they watch awful, cheesy movies: it's low-brow trash entertainment.

So the developers spent 13 years developing a game and the graphics weren't a primary concern, if that was the case they would've released it 10 years ago. They wouldn't have bothered with the engine change cause Duke gameplay alone would've made the game a legend.

But nobody should be walking into it thinking it's a Half-Life killer with graphics that put Rage to shame or whatever. All anyone should expect is a mindless shooter game with an immature, misogynistic 12 year old mentality; one where guns and explosives solve all of the world's problems and where women are objects that are only good for fucking and for making dinner.

If someone is looking for an excellent game or a GOTY contender, chances are this isn't going to be it.

George Broussard wanted the game to be Half-Life Killer, he did not want it to be GOTY, he wanted it be GOT - DECADE! that is why it took 13 years!!!! That is why the game started from scratch 4 times!

Look every one is going to buy this game, if they released the UNREAL-2001 build of the game today, I would've bought it!  

Don't say the graphics aren't concerning cause they are!

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #33 on: September 06, 2010, 09:21:52 pm »
Yes, but should we expect for it to be graphically groundbreaking?
I expect nice graphics, but not anything revolutionary.

And quite frankly, it's hard to look worse than the Source engine these days.
SEG4GES

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #34 on: September 07, 2010, 12:32:09 pm »
I'll wait before I cast stones on this game. Again, people are saying "IT HAS BEEN 14 YEARS IT SHOULD LOOK AMAZING!"

It has not been in development for that long. Most likely 2 years, maximum, since Gearbox picked up the game.

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #35 on: September 07, 2010, 03:00:40 pm »

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #36 on: September 07, 2010, 03:31:13 pm »
Quote from: "George"
I'll wait before I cast stones on this game. Again, people are saying "IT HAS BEEN 14 YEARS IT SHOULD LOOK AMAZING!"

It has not been in development for that long. Most likely 2 years, maximum, since Gearbox picked up the game.

More like 18 months, the thing is the game is being finished by Gear Box, the game was made by 3D Realms and the demo that people played at Pax was like an year old.

The Stadium Boss fight, and the Monster Truck Desert were all seen last year when Gameplay videos were leaked along with other sets not featured in the Pax Hands On.

From what I've seen the graphics look identical.

Look at the difference accomplished between Yakuza 3 and 4, this is the graphical difference I want to see in the 2008 build of Duke Vs the released one.

Not to much to ask for, but as I said GearBox appears to be working on parts of the game that haven't been revealed, it is common knowledge that Duke will be a very lengthy game, so the team at the moment may be finishing stages asap rather than enhancing details.

But they claim to be polishing, and if that is the case they better polish up the graphics before it comes out.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #37 on: September 07, 2010, 05:02:22 pm »
Add bloom, bump up the contrast, add flare, use old Duke3D textures in a level for comical effect. Use rest of development time to come up with cheesy one-liners.

It's good.
SEG4GES