Author Topic: New Puyo Pop in Famitsu (Anyone find scans/Info!?)  (Read 5994 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
New Puyo Pop in Famitsu (Anyone find scans/Info!?)
« on: April 20, 2011, 03:26:38 pm »
So there is a new Puyo Pop in Famitsu.
Similar to Puyo 15th with 15 game modes and 24 characters.

If anyone finds the scans or info... do share!
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: New Puyo Pop in Famitsu (Anyone find scans/Info!?)
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 04:03:12 pm »
Better release it to the English speaking countries!

Offline ribbitking17

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 11:27:36 pm »
It would be great if they would release something stateside. Has there been one released outside the east since Puyo Puyo Fever?

Offline Sharky

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 06:57:10 am »
I don't believe so and I could really use a new Puyo Pop game... I hate having to set up old consoles when my friends come over.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:44:47 am »
Images and art:

http://www.jeuxvideo24.com/news-ds-puyo ... 24701.html

Fuck the DS. Seriously, I hate when a console series gets relegated to a handheld just because it isn't considered worthy of consoles. I have Puyo 2, 3, 4 and Fever and they are fantastic releases. I was really hoping for a 20th anniversary console release, or hell, even a $20 downloadable title. Instead... :P

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:54:12 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Fuck the DS. Seriously, I hate when a console series gets relegated to a handheld just because it isn't considered worthy of consoles.

Wha? It hasn't got anything to do with this, the fact is every Puyo game released on the DS has gone onto do anything from over 200,000 to just over 300,000. Knowing your market is key and SEGA knows that something like Puyo works very well in Japan on handhelds.

After all if Phantasy Star never went portable, we probably would never have seen the best sales the series has even seen. It's got nothing to do with it being worthy or not but calculated business choices. That and the DS is the most successful piece of hardware ever released and that majority of Japan's software sales come from the handheld market.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 08:58:09 am »
Isn't the DS market dead allready? At least here in the west? It's well known issue that everyone has a flashcart for the bad secured handheld

Why not 3ds?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 09:00:59 am »
I don't doubt that it sells well on Japan and on handhelds, I just wish that they'd break out of the japan only thing just once and give a wordwide release. Either releasing to DS in Euro and US, or releasing a title to PSN/XBLA. Hell, I'd even take the iPhone Puyo Puyo Fever Touch game that has been out since '09 and is a Japanese app store exclusive.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 09:17:36 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
Isn't the DS market dead allready? At least here in the west? It's well known issue that everyone has a flashcart for the bad secured handheld

It's not dead, obviously pirating is an issue but it's not stopping the Nintendo DS to continue to sell well on the software side of things. People who think Nintendo DS sales are best passed their sell by date have not checked many charts.

Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I don't doubt that it sells well on Japan and on handhelds, I just wish that they'd break out of the japan only thing just once and give a wordwide release. Either releasing to DS in Euro and US, or releasing a title to PSN/XBLA. Hell, I'd even take the iPhone Puyo Puyo Fever Touch game that has been out since '09 and is a Japanese app store exclusive.

Since the beginning of the last generation, Puyo sales in the West have been nothing to sneeze at, well, they've never been anything to sneeze at, but they don't sell enough to bother with the effort it requires to bring one over.

And as for SEGA America/Europe bringing over a title from Japan, that's upto them, but since no SEGA AGES were bothered to be released here and stuff like the Streets of Rage remake was completely ignored, I doubt they'll bother with a series that was never big here.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 05:51:09 pm »
Even Tetris has been having issues selling lately. People are just tired of the same puzzle game being released over and over again. Bust A Move is a good example of a game everyone likes that is released on literally every console's launch window and barely can break even, regardless of how cheaply made the series is to begin with.

Outside of handhelds and mobile platforms, the basic puzzle genre cannot live anymore. Just make a simple digital release ($10 is always the sweet spot on consoles), throw in online play and call it a day for the series. Outside of that, I can only imagine people giving a shit if it is an extra unlockable mode in another game. I think people would like to see it in Sonic Generations where you save the puyos from Dr Robotnik as a gag.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2011, 05:56:29 am »
I'm pretty sure Puyo still sells pretty damn well in Japan for a Puzzle game.

In the West I don't think it's so much people being bored of Puyo Puyo games and more they wont give puzzle games a chance unless it has a really well known name like Tetris. The most recent Puyo games have had a ton of new modes, rules and MP options that make the game pretty unique. They are far from a repackaged verions of the first game with better graphics like many Tetris and Bust-A-Move releases I see.
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2011, 11:52:51 pm »
Again, even games like Tetris do not do good anymore. They cannot depend on Japan forever, even if shitty flash dating games still sell good there.

"New modes" is not that big of a reason for most normal people to pick up each release in the series. The last really major addition to gameplay in the series was Fever, and even that was pretty basic.

If they really want it to succeed they should try to blend it with Madou Monogatari and "DA!" to make a new game. I could see a decently sized Puyo RPG doing okay in most regions. Otherwise, it is pretty much a lost cause, especially with Sonic Team.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 07:58:00 am »
What a load of rubbish.

Puyo Pop hardly breaks the bank to develop... It still sells well enough in Japan so I don't see why they couldn't depend on Japanese sales forever.

The new modes can add a completely new dynamic to the gameplay, no they don't change the game drastically but they do enough.

Also I don't see what Sonic Team have done so wrong with the series so far... I mean shit at least they haven’t tried to turn it into an RPG... Christ.
Made by SEGA

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2011, 03:08:16 pm »
Puyo Puyo is a RPG, Sharky. It started in Madou Monogatari series. They are just using the characters on Puyo Puyo.

Unfortunately, Sega does not owns Madou Monogatari copyrights, and this is completely ridiculous, since all the famous characters cames from that world.

Puyopuyo is the first battle puzzle game in the world, and its also considered the best and most successful puzzle game after Tetris... at least in Japan.

I dont like the new characters designers, the old one was better, and my favorite rule is from Puyopuyo~n(or Puyopuyo 4). Too bad that one is the only one rule Sega never brings back...

Sega used some of the original creators on the first Puyopuyo made by the company (it was Puyopuyo Fever) but I think they are doing the things alone now.

Well, Its a shame it is DS only, but I love the series and will pre-order it soon as possible.

People just dont know how to pronounce the new title, since Sega has not numbered it. The new title is [PUYOPUYO!!] WTF?? It was supposed to be "8" instead "!!".

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2011, 03:14:26 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
What a load of rubbish.

Puyo Pop hardly breaks the bank to develop... It still sells well enough in Japan so I don't see why they couldn't depend on Japanese sales forever.

The new modes can add a completely new dynamic to the gameplay, no they don't change the game drastically but they do enough.

Also I don't see what Sonic Team have done so wrong with the series so far... I mean shit at least they haven’t tried to turn it into an RPG... Christ.

...That is exactly what you and most others here were just complaining about the Yakuza series, that it keeps the same gameplay style throughout. You make no sense.

Sonic Team have not really done anything wrong, just have not progressed the IP at all since Fever (which is weird because they try so hard to reinvent everything else), even the art is the same, whereas Compile made dozens of different art styles in their years. Also, Madou Monogatari IS an RPG.

Quote from: "STORM!"
Unfortunately, Sega does not owns Madou Monogatari copyrights, and this is completely ridiculous, since all the famous characters cames from that world.

Are you sure? I was certain that SEGA ported the mobile phone releases of it.