Author Topic: Microsoft and SEGA working together on Kinect exclusives.  (Read 5420 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Microsoft and SEGA working together on Kinect exclusives.
« on: July 07, 2011, 10:26:34 am »
I kinda ran into this news.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/310498/news/microsoft-plotting-more-xbox-kinect-exclusives-with-sega/

According to Sega's US and European boss Mike Hayes, the firm has continued to be impressed with Kinect's sales success - and is working with Microsoft to create yet more exclusives for the system.

"Rise of Nightmares is a mature game and a lot of the games on Kinect have been family party orientated," Hayes told CVG.

"It's ironic that Sega, probably better known for its family titles, is taking something mature onto it. There's a lot of Kinect functionality planned for our games going forward - and hopefully a few more exclusives that we're working with Microsoft on."

When asked if Sega was planning new Kinect exclusives, Hayes added: "I think so. Microsoft are adding more years to Xbox 360's lifecycle by this very clever extension. For us as developers we can either incorporate that into our main game or we can make games that are fun but don't have to be big behemoth games to be accepted and enjoyed by the consumer. That's the smart way of considering the lifecycle.

SEGA's name is getting alot of attention lately :o

So yeah, more kinect games from SEGA. I'm not really into kinect but am still curious to what this'll bring
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 11:11:38 am by CrazyTails »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: Microsoft and SEGA working together on Kinect exclusives.
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 11:20:58 am »
Cool info! As a Kinect owner, I'm glad to see that more SEGA games are to come.  ;D

This bit was odd though:
It's ironic that Sega, probably better known for its family titles, is taking something mature onto it.

That isn't ironic at all. It's like Mike doesn't know the meaning of the word. Love the guy, but that is a weird thing to say. I have never associated SEGA with family titles. That's Nintendo's persona. SEGA produces family titles, sure, but SEGA makes me think of a broad range of titles covering many different age groups and generes. Stuff like Shenmue, AM2 fighters, the many SEGA developed RPGs, House of the Dead and even things like Jet Set Radio ain't in the "family fun" category. Violence, revenge, fighting, zombie mutants, vandalism... yeah, thats all very family friendly. Don't have to be rated M to be a non-family friendly game.

Anyway, cool stuff.  ;)

Offline Waffle

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 11:39:16 am »
Unless this has Space Harrier or Yu Sazuki's Sky Patrol, I cannot see myself becoming even slightly interested.

I would rather they do Sony Wiimote Plus games if they must do these. Only House of the Dead Overkill Extended looks interesting, but I sort of already own that.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 01:11:39 pm »
A Streets of Rage-inspired Kinect title would've been pretty amusing.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 06:05:03 am »
A Streets of Rage-inspired Kinect title would've been pretty amusing.
Ergh, I can't even begin to think how bad that could turn out. Kinect just doesn't work properly for anything that requires specific or fast movements. Basic tracking and movement seems to work, but I wouldn't do anything too ambitious with the hardware.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 06:59:36 am »
Do they even need Sega? Aren't they using ex Sega staff to do that Panzer Dragoon rip off and some fighting game that Yu's involved with? The only kinect title coming soon after Nightmares, is from the new "Segatech" team.

Cool info! As a Kinect owner, I'm glad to see that more SEGA games are to come.  ;D

This bit was odd though:
That isn't ironic at all. It's like Mike doesn't know the meaning of the word. Love the guy, but that is a weird thing to say. I have never associated SEGA with family titles. That's Nintendo's persona. SEGA produces family titles, sure, but SEGA makes me think of a broad range of titles covering many different age groups and generes. Stuff like Shenmue, AM2 fighters, the many SEGA developed RPGs, House of the Dead and even things like Jet Set Radio ain't in the "family fun" category. Violence, revenge, fighting, zombie mutants, vandalism... yeah, thats all very family friendly. Don't have to be rated M to be a non-family friendly game.

Anyway, cool stuff.  ;)

No it isn't, your right. What is ironic though is Hayes won't get lamblasted for it like Simon Jeffery did after his gaff about Suzuki. And the more ironic thing is that technically its SJ's tenure with the company that is still making them money or in the case of ALIENS keeping them in the mainstream eye. Until Hayes can match that, which he probably will, i'm not going to hail an EX Nintendo guy for being the best Sega west president at the moment.

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2011, 01:25:18 am »
The only kinect title coming soon after Nightmares, is from the new "Segatech" team.

But isn't the "Segatech" team officially involved only on the action adventure designed to PSVITA?

No it isn't, your right. What is ironic though is Hayes won't get lamblasted for it like Simon Jeffery did after his gaff about Suzuki. And the more ironic thing is that technically its SJ's tenure with the company that is still making them money or in the case of ALIENS keeping them in the mainstream eye. Until Hayes can match that, which he probably will, i'm not going to hail an EX Nintendo guy for being the best Sega west president at the moment.

I agree in part with you Joe, but the biggest responsibility for the conduct of SEGA, also in the West, and the content of certain statements that are repeated in interviews, imo always reside in the directives given by the central power in Japan, in a nutshell...Hajime Satomi and few others.

Obviously, Mike Hayes and the other Executives have their own space to decision making and therefore their responsibility positive or less.
SEGA STYLE

Offline ROJM

« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2011, 04:06:17 am »

But isn't the "Segatech" team officially involved only on the action adventure designed to PSVITA?

Officially announced. But they are also making an Kinect title.

I agree in part with you Joe, but the biggest responsibility for the conduct of SEGA, also in the West, and the content of certain statements that are repeated in interviews, imo always reside in the directives given by the central power in Japan, in a nutshell...Hajime Satomi and few others.

Obviously, Mike Hayes and the other Executives have their own space to decision making and therefore their responsibility positive or less.
The big wigs at Segasam has more things to worry about than any offhand comment made by a member of staff. The only time they would be "concerned" if it brings the company in disrupute or worse, affects share prices. They're not going to care about the rampant rants of  Kotaku and many others who doesn't pay for their games anyway or some fanboy who rants and raves but who ends up buying their titles anyhow. Now if fanboy stopped buying their titles in a sizeable commodity and it was attributed to something someone said then that would see some response. but the problem is that many game customers who aren't considered to be casual players like to complain but still buy the titles that they are complaining about and then they wonder why the company or any company doesn't take them seriously.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2011, 06:23:13 am »
ROJM, you ask why they need SEGA. Microsoft needs any name they can get for Kinect. I mean, their 1 year software releases for the thing have not exactly been AAA quality.

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2011, 09:05:11 am »
but the problem is that many game customers who aren't considered to be casual players like to complain but still buy the titles that they are complaining about and then they wonder why the company or any company doesn't take them seriously.

OK, having said that you're right, I myself have to do mea culpa :-[

EDIT: the mea culpa is related to the fact that I try to buy all the games published by SEGA, as far as possible, sometimes turning a blind eye on the quality and attractiveness of certain titles, and then found, however, to criticize some aspects of the company.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 08:18:59 pm by Deefy »
SEGA STYLE

Offline ROJM

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2011, 06:42:35 am »
ROJM, you ask why they need SEGA. Microsoft needs any name they can get for Kinect. I mean, their 1 year software releases for the thing have not exactly been AAA quality.
Microsoft has a lot of AAA titles than they did when they first started the xbox, and as for the kinect they're basically using ex or part time Sega staffers to create content for them. Creating i may add the type of games that Sega has in their portfolio that would be perfect for this add on and which many Segabits people would like to see sequels of. So i don't see why microsoft are working with Sega to create more stuff for it when they seem to have that base covered anyway. I mean by the end of next year we will have a Sega style game published by Microsoft and a Sega style game published by sega with a little help from M$ for the same add on.
I'm not saying Sega shouldn't make games for the kinect but i don't see why Microsft is getting more involved than they need to.