Author Topic: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread  (Read 48424 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread
« on: February 04, 2012, 12:43:05 am »
Thinking about it for a moment, I was quite surprised at how little the game get's discussed here. I think it's about time we have an official thread where we can talk about episode 2. As you all may have noticed we get new information at least once per week on the fridays, known as concept art fridays.

What we got so far:

Things that are confirmed:

>New physics engine
>New graphics engine
>Tails
>Metal sonic

So far I gotta say nothing has been a let down and the concept arts are really looking great, I guess the only thing I am a little dissapointed about is the lack of classic sonic and the hideous logo that rips off a classic again. Oh yeah... and the homing attack.

Still not gonna give episode 2 the benefit of the doubt. Gameplay first, and we can start talking 8)

Update: New leaked screens

http://segabits.com/blog/2012/02/14/sonic-4-episode-2-screens-not-concept-

Update: New screens at SEGA blog
http://segabits.com/blog/2012/02/16/more-sonic-4-episode-2-screens-revealed-teaser-trailer-next-thursday/
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:24:39 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sonic 4: episode 2 Official thread
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:02:08 am »
I think people who hated Episode 1 will again be let down by Episode 2, I simply don't see the engine/graphics changing to any meaningful degree between Ep1 and 2.

I could be wrong, I'd like to be wrong.
Made by SEGA

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 11:30:14 am »
I'd like you to be right really. I enjoyed the mechanics of Ep I.

While I prefer momentum based physics, truth is the "excess" of control we get over Sonic makes the game highly playable on portable devices (one of it's major markets, if not the biggest). Sharp in-air control, useful lock-in homing attack.. The game is great.

What one could indeed question is if such change of gameplay dynamics should prevent the game from having "4" in the title, since it's not an evolution of the MegaDrive games but an effective change.

Then again, I think that if that's your problem with the game(play), you're an asshat. The game could be called "Sonic roopy poopy mega shit in your pants 6" and would not be any worse because of it.

Good game, misleading title? Perhaps. But a good game is always a good game. And that's what I felt about Sonic 4 Ep 1.

I do know some people have gripes with the sharper control, but personally I enjoyed it.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 11:58:30 am »
When we had AAUK on the podcast, he mentioned that the game was not meant to be Sonic 4 until later in the dev process. This probably explains why the game's physics were so off. Look at the Advance, Rush and Rivals series, all three had different feeling physics but all used the same style of 2D gameplay. I'd assume that had Sonic 4 been called Sonic HD, people would still complain but not as much. Not to say that this excuses the problems Sonic 4 had, but it does explain them.

Now that they're going into episode 2 KNOWING it's Sonic 4 from the get-go, I think a lot more effort will be put into the physics, controls and enemy and stage design. How much effort remains to be seen, but the fact that Ken B. stated the revisions and improvements taking place shows that they're making strides.

I wonder if the game will even lock on with Episode 1? Perhaps they're leaving ep 1 to sit on its own and the rest of the episodes will lock on to each other?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 04:26:21 pm »
I think people who hated Episode 1 will again be let down by Episode 2, I simply don't see the engine/graphics changing to any meaningful degree between Ep1 and 2.

I could be wrong, I'd like to be wrong.

I second that. Why does this game even exist? Didn't Generations just trounce it?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 05:21:28 pm »
I second that. Why does this game even exist? Didn't Generations just trounce it?

I think simply because for all the shit it got from the fans, they were a loud minority... Episode 1 sold a ton I'm pretty sure and most people probably didn't even notice the physics issues.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2012, 07:02:26 pm »
Well, think back to early 2010. It was a dry spell for multi-platform Sonic titles, '08's Unleashed was the last multi-platform game. Unless you had a Wii, Kinect or DS, '09 and '10 would have been baron. I think SEGA's intent was to release a game that was easy (aka cheap) to develop, would have mass appeal and would tide fans over until Generations.

Unfortunately, SEGA had all their competent talent working on Colors and Generations so they handed 4 off to Dimps and really didn't push the quality like they did with the other titles in development.

Early signs are pointing to Episode 2 being a better game, so I'm excited. I'm glad they're soldiering on and making more episodes. The last thing the franchise needs right now is SEGA cutting an episodic game short. Critics and the press would gladly throw all kinds of nonsense at SEGA if they stopped with episode 1.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 07:07:30 pm by Barry the Nomad »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2012, 07:09:17 pm »
I think simply because for all the shit it got from the fans, they were a loud minority... Episode 1 sold a ton I'm pretty sure and most people probably didn't even notice the physics issues.

Episode 1 sold just over a million and released on a lot of formats. When you consider mobile phone sales of Sonic 2 alone are at 4 million back in 2009 I believe (This is without considering PSN/XBLA/Steam etc) thats a pretty bad figure when you consider the potential sales that Sonic the Hedgehog 4 should achieve. I am sure it's been profitable for SEGA though.

Though selling a million is not actually hard for a Sonic game, Silver still sold over a million, Shadow the Hedgehog was also a million seller.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2012, 07:16:01 pm »
I think the price of Episode 1 is what held back sales. However, I wonder how many more sold since Mike Hayes gave the million figure. There were a number of sales since then, so the game surely sold a lot more.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2012, 08:10:00 pm »
I think the price of Episode 1 is what held back sales. However, I wonder how many more sold since Mike Hayes gave the million figure. There were a number of sales since then, so the game surely sold a lot more.

It will probably still sell for many years to come, Sonic games have incredible staying power. Even the absolutely terrible ones. Be interesting to see the figures though, especially as the Steam and Android versions have been added since then.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 02:31:31 pm »
Image update

Platform is pretty cool. Don't know what to think about the badnik however. Looks too much like aquatic ruins badnik

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2012, 02:35:10 pm »
Eh, I'm cool with a few returning badniks. Thus far we've seen one out of six badniks being from an old game. The rest are new or are heavily redesigned obscure enemies. I'd rather see Chop Chop returning than, say, Motobug who has become the Goomba of the Sonic series.

The platform is cool, a new gimmick! I hope we see more of those.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 01:20:40 pm »
http://imgur.com/a/gx6Zn

Found these through NeoGAF. Real or fake? You guys decide, I must admit I am hoping at last those are proper polygon models and not sprites, I've always felt they should have gone in that angle and I am quite happy for that. The colour tone of some of the levels look dull, but it is probably due to it being at night time, I believe Sonic 4 Ep 1 had similar daytime / night time acts correct?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2012, 01:41:40 pm »
Real. Made the post on the main page.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2012, 01:56:56 pm »
Whhaaa... Whaaa... What the hell! This is like Sonic Generations level of 2D gameplay and stuff. Wow, I really can't beleive how friggin' amazing it looks!