Author Topic: Yakuza 5: Taxis, Idols, Baseball, Prison, Moneylending!  (Read 7984 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Yakuza 5: Taxis, Idols, Baseball, Prison, Moneylending!
« on: May 19, 2012, 03:09:51 am »
Something's going down in Kamurocho. Sega appears to be planning some sort of announcement for the series, as indicated by all the construction work that's going on in the cityscape at the official site.

A video at the site recaps the series through Yakuza 4, and finishes with "And Then..." followed by the text "First look on May 24." This seems to suggest a long awaited reveal for Yakuza 5, which Sega announced months ago but has not fully detailed.

Yakuza games tend to debut in Famitsu. The next issue hits on the 24th, which presumably means we'll get early word of it on the announcement on the 23rd at around 8:30 or so in the AM (yes, we have our flying gets precisely timed).
http://andriasang.com/con12h/yakuza5_reveal/

GET HYPE.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2012, 03:52:00 pm by MadeManG74 »

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: Yakuza 5 Incoming: May 24th announcement
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 04:07:29 am »
I haven't gotten the chance to play the previous installments due to cost, but the demo of the fourth game kicked ass and I really want to buy Yakuza Dead Souls.

If this one has Sega Joypolis ingame, I'm in.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2012, 07:48:42 pm »
And here are the first details...

5 main characters...
5 Cities...

It also notes...
The full Japanese name for Yakuza 5, as revealed in Famitsu this week, is "Ryu ga Gotoku 5: Yume Kanaeshi Mono." A rough (very rough) translation would be "Yakuza 5: Person Who Fulfills Dreams."

Curious... most curious.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 09:07:01 pm »
And here are the first details...

5 main characters...
5 Cities...

It also notes...
Curious... most curious.

Five main characters... I was hoping they would go back to just one, or at the least not increase the amount. It's good and bad, but overall I much preferred playing as just one character and having that one character have more moves and abilities to build on through the game.

In any event though, that's the only thing I'm even slightly worried about. Five cities is going to be epic.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:17:55 am »
Nice to hear its had double the development time and is using a new Engine for the series  - I hope and improved engine from Binary Domain.

Hope it can get the series back on track after the real high point of Yakuza II (which for me is just one of the best games ever made) 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 03:21:45 am »
Here's some more specific information:

The five main characters are Kazuma Kiryu, Taiga Saejima, Shun Akiyama, Haruka and Tatsuo Shinada, according to Japanese magazine Famitsu (via Andriasang). All five are playable.

Shinada, a former baseball player, is the newcomer. He was slapped with a life ban for gambling, but apparently he's innocent. And in debt.

Kiryu is working as a taxi driver in Fukuoka. Soejima is doing time behind bars. Akiyama is in Osaka on business. Haruka left Okinama to become an idol, and is living on her own in Osaka. It seems her talent agency has some nefarious plan for her. The story connects directly with Yakuza 4.

Designer Toshihiro Nagoshi said the game uses a new engine, which means zombie spin-off Yakuza of the End marks the end of the engine that served the series so well. Because of this, Yakuza 5 is considered a "New Yakuza", with better controls, and a bigger and better script.

Yakuza 5 is 70 per cent complete. It's out in Japan on PlayStation 3 in December.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 03:34:30 am »
Did a write up. Sounds good.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 03:47:00 am »
Kiryu is a Taxi Driver? What the fuck? What happened to his orphanage? I mean, a Taxi Driver?

On a positive note, Crazy Taxi side-games anyone?

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 04:06:37 am »
I woke up, so this in the morning, had to drop nephew off to school and by the time I returned George had already posted it.

I fail :(

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 04:14:21 am »
Kiryu is a Taxi Driver? What the fuck? What happened to his orphanage? I mean, a Taxi Driver?

On a positive note, Crazy Taxi side-games anyone?

I believe I have read that this is set 5 years after Yakuza 4.

EDIT: Scratch that, was just speculation. I've been tricked!

So plot it probably...

[spoiler]Kamurocho gone to hell, everyone struggling to survive, then Kiryu shows up at the end and fix the whole mess by Komaki the big bad and give some idealistic speach to make everyone happy again.[/spoiler]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 12:03:03 pm by Aki-at »

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 07:29:54 am »
Well I don't really care. I wonder how crazy Haruka's storypart is going to be like. Sounds cool to have an in depth storyline about her and finally kicking some asses with her.

Offline Centrale

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2012, 11:52:59 am »
It kind of sounds like each character might be oriented to particular minigames.  Haruka would excel at the singing games, the baseball player has the batting cage games, etc...  However, I will be really surprised if there is actually any taxi driving that the player controls.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2012, 12:04:30 pm »
It kind of sounds like each character might be oriented to particular minigames.  Haruka would excel at the singing games, the baseball player has the batting cage games, etc...  However, I will be really surprised if there is actually any taxi driving that the player controls.

What would Saejima's minigame be then? Resist the temptation to rape little girls or throw giant motorcycles?!

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2012, 04:22:08 pm »
So according to http://segabits.com/blog/2012/05/23/yakuza-5-famitsu-interview-fully-translated/ it seems Kiryu is doing some investigation against some strange events going on and pretending to be a taxi driver.

SUPER SECRET SPY KIRYU!

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision