Author Topic: The "Dude, What Game Should I Buy?" Thread  (Read 23032 times)

Offline MetaKraken_PSN

• Total Meseta: 0
The "Dude, What Game Should I Buy?" Thread
« on: April 03, 2010, 04:15:36 pm »
Decided to make this thread for those who want to suggest of which good game to buy. I'll start this one off:

I'm wanting to buy great games, but I have no idea what. Should I get GTA IV: EoLC or JC2 (both of these games are good, but also expensive).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: The "Dude, What Game Should I Buy?" Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »
If you don't have Bayonetta yet, I'd say get that. As for GTAIV vs JC2, I would personally go with JC2, since I didn't find GTAIV all that fun, but thats really one that comes down to personal preference.

Offline MetaKraken_PSN

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 10:04:54 pm »
^^Cool! Thanks  :mrgreen:. I tried out the demo and, since I'm a big car crash fanatic, this game should be great for me.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 10:42:27 pm »
I need a music playing device. Was thinking of a 120gb Zune. I have about 90gb of music.
 :cry:

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 07:50:10 am »
I've just learned of Dead or Alive Ultimate for the Xbox and am curious if it is better than the Saturn and Dreamcast versions. I don't own either of those, so would I be better off just getting this Xbox remake? Also, is the online mode still functioning for 360 BC?

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 08:09:37 am »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
I've just learned of Dead or Alive Ultimate for the Xbox and am curious if it is better than the Saturn and Dreamcast versions. I don't own either of those, so would I be better off just getting this Xbox remake? Also, is the online mode still functioning for 360 BC?

That is so strange, just today I saw someone playing that on my friends list and had no idea what it was.

I think that Xbox Live for original Xbox has been cut, or is going to be cut very soon, so I wouldn't buy it for online play at this point. Reading up on this though, it sounds like this has enhanced versions of the Saturn and Dreamcast games, and you get both on one disk. Sounds like the Xbox version is the way to go.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 08:14:21 am »
Nice! Shame the the online is probably DOA  :lol: but the price is excellent! ebay copies are $2-5

btw MadeMan, I got your message on the 360, totally up for some VF5 soon. Sometimes when I appear online, it's actually my girlfriend watching netflix.  :roll: which has basically been the past week.

Offline Monkeroony

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:20:58 pm »
You should buy darksiders, it's cheap and awesome!

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 05:08:03 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"

I used to own all of the Dead or Alive series and can tell you that the Xbox release of the second game is the definitive game in the series without a doubt. But, not only is online play going to be cut soon, it was never very good to begin with. Dead or Alive 4 has great online play, but that game had significantly less content than 2 and 3.

The release of the original title on Xbox is the smoothest running, but when it came to the original PlayStation, it had more content. I do not know why they based it off of the Saturn release other than Itagaki being a SEGA fanboy. I would not bother with this one because it is just not very fun at all in my opinion.

The releases of Dead or Alive 2 on Dreamcast and PlayStation 2 is actually a very different game with a lot of different content. If you like the Xbox release, you should pick up one of these. I would recommend at least burning a copy of the Japanese Limited Edition on Dreamcast.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 10:23:53 am »
I wouldn't recommend getting DOA 4.

It's not a bad game, but the AI is so hard to beat and there's no easy mode. Also,  the final boss is so cheap.

Offline upsidedown fuji

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Chillin' with the Blue Rogues.
    • Upsidedown Fuji
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2010, 05:59:12 pm »
JC2. You can't say no to an Antionio Banderez protagonist character.

Anyway, if you don't want to pay a ton for a new game, perhaps you should pick up Bayonetta instead.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 07:58:47 am »
I'm heading to NYC this weekend and will be on the lookout for games. I have a loooong list of Dreamcast wants, but there are a few I'm unsure of. Specifically fighting games. Would any of these be worth getting? Or am I better off getting the PS2, XBOX or XBLA ports/sequels?

Considering the Dreamcast versions of:

Capcom vs SNK 2
Guilty Gear X
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure
Street Fighter 3: Double Impact
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3
Vampire Chronicles

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 08:12:58 am »
Capcom vs SNK 2 - If you get any of these games, this should be it
Guilty Gear X  - Pass, later releases have much more content, and the series is not too good either
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure - You will like it if not just for the characters, try not to pay too much for it
Street Fighter Alpha 3 - Alpha 2 is much more enjoyable IMO, I would get that instead
Vampire Chronicles Only if it is the version that was released through SEGA Direct, otherwise I would pass

The two releases of Street Fighter III are much much harder to get into than the rest of the series or anything you mentioned above. Comparing the releases is like comparing Virtua Fighter 4 and Virtua Fighter 4 Evolution. The latter has way more content, but the original has enough different content to warrant a purchase as well.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 08:27:45 am »
Thanks for the advice! Capcom vs SNK 2 was at the top of the list, mostly because I really enjoyed the first. I rented Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure back in the day and don't remember much besides the characters. $20 is my limit for Jojo, same price limit for Capcom vs. SNK2.

I'm also on the lookout for Project Justice, Tech Romancer and Cannon Spike.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 06:39:19 pm »
Capcom vs SNK 2 is definitely worth getting, it's not perfect, but the bringing together of Capcom and SNK is just too big to pass up.

With Alpha 3, I actually would reccommend getting that on Dreamcast, as it has a really brilliant single player mode called 'World Tour'. Seeing as theres no online play for Dreamcast, you might really appreciate having a fun and content filled single player game for it. I also prefer Alpha 2 to 3 for VS play though, I never liked the multiple -isms of 3.

As for SFIII, I would say go with Third Strike and don't worry about Second Impact. If you must, you should look for SF3: Double Impact, which comes with both SF3: New Generation and Second impact on the same disc.

If you don't have Garou: Mark of the Wolves or King of Fighters '98 (Or KOF '99 Dream Match as it's called on Dreamcast) those are essential buys. In both cases the XBLA ports are probably better though, KOF98 especially since it is the "Ultimate Match" re-release from a few years ago with extra characters and balance changes.

Also, if you are interested in playing these games online you should check out GGPO. Before Sanus' computer went up in smoke we used to play Garou, KOF and SFA2 on it all the time, and even though we are on opposite sides of the planet it was just about lagless. If you are interested send me a PM or post in the Fight club thread and i'll help you set it up!