Author Topic: Iwata and Nagoshi, anouncing yakuza 1&2HD in the "SEGA" direct.  (Read 12615 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: Iwata and Nagoshi, anouncing yakuza 1&2HD in the "SEGA" direct.
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2013, 11:27:46 pm »
Yeah, aside from the unique edition of the gamepad(having a map always displayed under your head for any game seems very handy in its own), i think SEGA is going for the safe bet here. I dont think SEGA would have done it without an agreement of some sorts(although were not sure what it is).

So far we have 3 IPs that are going to wii u, 2 being exclusive. I wonder what people think about this. Personally i really wouldnt mind wii u being my sega fix. I am not gonna buy one of the "expensive" next gen consoles in a looong while, if ever

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #16 on: May 20, 2013, 05:58:19 am »
You just said the answer to that question yourself. The franchise doesn't have an established fanbase on the Wii U, so why would they port the fifth entry in the franchise to the series if they just more easily port the first two games?

That's a ridiculous statement. That's like saying no one outside Sega fans had any intrest in Sonic or no one outside nintendo fans had any interest in Contra or anyone outside the sony userbase has any interest in metal gear solid or any other established franchise that was once only available on one system and never had an estabilshed fanbase on another system. The difference is all those games mentioned are/were big games/franchises that everyone wants to play despite it  being available for one system. And those games proved that people brought them in their droves when they were made available outside of the system they had built their fanbase on. RGG/Yakuza is quite a big brand in Japan and Sega like any other company with a big franchise is starting to take the steps outside of its "comfort zone" and see how it performs on another system. Of course it would be better if they created another new RGG game for the wiiU(probably a spin off or side game) which they may end up doing.  But to say it cant happen is silly when other franchises that was in the same position as RGG has done exactly the same.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2013, 06:00:55 am by ROJM »

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2013, 02:42:17 pm »
Kind of dissapointing theyre being lazy with the port.

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2013, 04:05:30 pm »
lots of people being: "yeah maybe I try some of these games!" just because of this port on a console with no games, just shows how poor Sega has been advertising these games in the West...

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2013, 05:10:34 am »
I dont think RGG would sell on the Xbox which is why i think they should create a game at least that fits in with what an xbox gamer would want.

No they wound't , but nither will these sell on the Wii U . Its a cash from Nintendo that's made the move and if  MS came in with a ton  of cash, it would be on the next box too . 
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2013, 05:58:05 am »
Yes but were looking at it thru a western perspective, YAKUZA is a big deal in japan so I don't think we can say that the game wouldn't sell on the WiiU in that market.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2013, 06:14:36 am »
That's a ridiculous statement. That's like saying no one outside Sega fans had any intrest in Sonic or no one outside nintendo fans had any interest in Contra or anyone outside the sony userbase has any interest in metal gear solid or any other established franchise that was once only available on one system and never had an estabilshed fanbase on another system. The difference is all those games mentioned are/were big games/franchises that everyone wants to play despite it  being available for one system. And those games proved that people brought them in their droves when they were made available outside of the system they had built their fanbase on. RGG/Yakuza is quite a big brand in Japan and Sega like any other company with a big franchise is starting to take the steps outside of its "comfort zone" and see how it performs on another system. Of course it would be better if they created another new RGG game for the wiiU(probably a spin off or side game) which they may end up doing.  But to say it cant happen is silly when other franchises that was in the same position as RGG has done exactly the same.
That's not my point. Sure there are people that know about Yakuza outside of those who own Playstation, but they probably haven't played a game in the franchise before. And it might be scary to go immediately into the fifth entry of a series of games that seemingly has a focus on story, so it's best to first port the HD collection of the first two games. Just like how you don't willingly get into Star Wars by watching Episode VI first. ;)

I dont think RGG would sell on the Xbox which is why i think they should create a game at least that fits in with what an xbox gamer would want. We have seen signs of this already with previous Sega xbox titles that did well and were (sort of) exclusives. CHROMEHOUNDS, FULL AUTO and CONDEMNED. Of course all delivered by sources outside of the main SOJ dev house and for whatever reason games that didn't get a chance to establish what audience they help build for sega on that system to solidify it.
This is a terrible idea. Trying to change or expand the audience of an established franchise with a big fanbase is exactly what disappoints existing fans and people already interested in the franchise away. See Dead Space 3.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2013, 06:42:20 am »
That's not my point. Sure there are people that know about Yakuza outside of those who own Playstation, but they probably haven't played a game in the franchise before. And it might be scary to go immediately into the fifth entry of a series of games that seemingly has a focus on story, so it's best to first port the HD collection of the first two games. Just like how you don't willingly get into Star Wars by watching Episode VI first. ;)

I thought you meant not releasing the first two titles. But still you really don't need to have played the games before to jump into part 5.

This is a terrible idea. Trying to change or expand the audience of an established franchise with a big fanbase is exactly what disappoints existing fans and people already interested in the franchise away. See Dead Space 3.

its not actually, and  i'm talking about a brand new IP not YAKUZA. CHROMEHOUNDS and CONDEMNED seem to tap into what the general xbox gamer wanted from Sega than previous xbox 1 titles like JSRF and CRAZY TAXI 3. All i was suggesting is Sega should try and build or find the right title for the right platform. RGG was a suitable platform for the sony system given its content and cultural impact etc. Now the series is making its first jump onto a non sony platform. if sega wants to build serious franchises outside of Sonic and not the artificial ones like they have with VC and SHINING, they really need to figure out how to operate and select certain titles. for example i felt that VANQUISH should have been soley released on the PS3 for various reasons, it wouldn't have to compete with the main TPS/FPS that is on the xbox and the style of gaming is more suited to the PS3 gamer. Come to think of it BD should have went that way too, maybe we would at least gotten a sequel to that title by now.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 06:48:34 am by ROJM »

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2013, 06:45:43 am »
You just said the answer to that question yourself. The franchise doesn't have an established fanbase on the Wii U, so why would they port the fifth entry in the franchise to the series if they just more easily port the first two games?

Because if Nintendo paid SEGA money to move this series, in which they no doubt did, why the first two which combined have sold over 2 million and a HD version was just released last year with minor sales. These two titles have just too much exposure to realistically expect any sort of respectable number.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2013, 06:53:07 am »
Because if Nintendo paid SEGA money to move this series, in which they no doubt did, why the first two which combined have sold over 2 million and a HD version was just released last year with minor sales. These two titles have just too much exposure to realistically expect any sort of respectable number.

I get your point, it depends on the pricing as well, regardless sega will see a profit on these games anyway. Its like the HOKUTO NO KEN PACHISLOT SAMMY COLLECTION that was released on the Wii1 early in its lifespan, those games were overexposed in japan because they were very popular on the ps2,the collection probably didn't sell that much but they still got a profit from it. Most collection titles or at least the sega ones which in themselves have been more exposed than YAKUZA and HOKUTO NO KEN ever has have continued to sell well above expectations and triple the profit.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2013, 07:43:01 am »
I wonder if there'll be an Iwata Asks about this game.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2013, 09:14:28 am »
I wonder if there'll be an Iwata Asks about this game.

Iwata: how is this version different from the PS3 version?

Nagoshi: We went with lower quality textures and graphics due to the power of the console, while adding gimmicky gamepad features (laughs)

Iwata: (frowns)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2013, 09:16:35 am by Will »

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2013, 09:21:43 am »
I'm not sure if minor sales would really be a big problem in this case. Seeing how it's a port that probably didn't cost much to make.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2013, 05:02:46 am »
Well if Nintendo DID pay Sega to bring this over then they wouldn't just want a port but a new title as well, maybe and more realistically a type of spin off game of the RGG series. So they can have their precious exclusive and not have a game that is already part of a numerical series.  Then the port's job is too introduce Nintendo gamers to the type of game and world of RGG before the new title is announced and released.
As Timm and I have mentioned, Sega doesn't need this collection to sell millions of copies, the series or specifically the two original titles that form this package has already made its money back. In its original relase and rereleases, as well. If it sold a million copies on WiiU, its a bonus,(the only collection game to sell really big and break a record in doing so was one of the Sonic megadrive collections) if it sells 100 000 or 50 000 or less it will still make a profit. I don't understand why some people are persisting the numbers argument that this title has to sell big numbers. It doesn't. BINARY DOMAIN had to sell big numbers, YHD doesn't have to. If anything SHENMUE HD  if it exists would have to sell a lot for a variety of reasons.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:05:19 am by ROJM »