Author Topic: Rare Sega Games  (Read 21095 times)

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
Rare Sega Games
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:13:44 pm »
I was wondering if some of you could name a few Sega games that might be hard to find, yet still worth playing...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Rare Sega Games
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 10:27:53 pm »
Panzer Dragoon Saga: Probably the most 'iconic' rare Sega game. Amazing RPG that spans 4 discs and is really unique. Well worth playing, but Euro/US prices are outrageous for the game.

Shining Force III: Scenario 2 and 3: Scenario 1 was translated and fairly easy to find, Scenario 2 and 3 are Japan only. They are simply amazing games (some of the finest I've played) and well worth the effort of finding, downloading the translation patch and emulating to play.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2013, 04:18:37 am »
Dragon Force: Saturn, Shining Force CD (SEGA CD).

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2013, 02:34:38 pm »
Master System:
Power Strike (possibly the fastest-paced game on the SMS; US release was mail-order only)
Power Strike II (Europe only release; different from GG version and has a cool steampunk setting)
Legend of Illusion (fourth in the Mickey Mouse series, only released in Brazil)
Ghouls 'n Ghosts (added strategic depth with shops and eased difficulty a bit with more HP)

MD/Genesis:
MUSHA (great shmup - part of the same series as the Power Strike games)
Micro Machines (great top-down racer; the cart has two extra controller ports built in for four-player)

Offline Spock

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 10:45:37 pm »
I hope more people will respond to this because the only game that I might consider buying so far is MUSHA. I would buy the Power Strike games, it's just that they would be hard to find. After all, those are MS games. I was hoping someone could give me a much longer list of games...
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 10:49:50 pm by Spock »

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 04:06:03 am »
SMS: Spellcaster, Kenseiden, Psycho Fox
Genesis: Target Earth, Star Control
Sega CD: Popful Mail
Saturn : Albert Odyssey

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2013, 07:52:06 am »
I hope more people will respond to this because the only game that I might consider buying so far is MUSHA. I would buy the Power Strike games, it's just that they would be hard to find. After all, those are MS games. I was hoping someone could give me a much longer list of games...
It's kind of a vague request, when you say rare, are you looking for a certain genre or quality or just stuff that's hard to find?

You could probably add in a number of Saturn games that were released towards the end of the console's lifespan.

Offline Spock

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2013, 10:40:25 am »
It's kind of a vague request, when you say rare, are you looking for a certain genre or quality or just stuff that's hard to find?

You could probably add in a number of Saturn games that were released towards the end of the console's lifespan.

Sorry. I should have mentioned that I wanted games that most people did not know about. Not necessarily hard to find. I also should have mentioned that I wanted Genesis and Dreamcast games only.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2013, 01:59:00 pm »
Laser Ghost, I played it at an Expo and it looks surprisingly fun! European only though.

Super Tempo, it's in Japanese but as a platformer it's perfectly playable.

I can't really recommend Panzer Dragoon Saga though, it's only 10 hours long at best, it's a really short RPG for its price tag. :(

Burning Rangers? That's a good game but goes for quite a lot too.

Oh....Mega Drive/Dreamcast. Can't help on Dremcast, but I guess you could get Hellfire if you're into Shmups that are CAVE like (since it's a pre-CAVE game).

Chaken: The Forever Man & Soliel as well.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 02:02:32 pm by Nameless 24 »
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Smotrenfu!
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2014, 06:02:23 am »
I disagree about Panzer Dragoon Saga.  It's more like 17 hours, and totally worth the price if you have the money. 

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2014, 01:05:15 pm »
I disagree about Panzer Dragoon Saga.  It's more like 17 hours, and totally worth the price if you have the money. 

I agree with this. I'm not terribly experienced when it comes to role-playing games, so it's been a considerable journey. Even then, you'll definitely want to replay it, because there's a plethora of hidden items and objectives you will have undoubtedly missed the first time 'round. That and it is a great fucking game! Panzer Dragoon Saga may not be as lengthy as Final Fantasy VII, but it's well worth the time and effort.

As for rare Genesis/Mega Drive titles, Micro Machines (North American) isn't terribly hard to find. There were four copies at my local retro joint (eStarland) and they were going for less than $10-$15 a pop. However, trying to find the cart with additional controller ports is a bit trickier.

Another rare and pricey title is The Punisher. The Mega Drive version is very expensive, while the Genesis version is starting to rise. From what I've seen on YouTube, it's a good old-fashioned beat-'em-up. Such a shame, because Punisher's my favorite Marvel hero. WHY MUST YOU BE EXPENSIVE?!

Contra: Hard Corps and Castlevania: Bloodlines aren't terribly rare, but they can be expensive if you're looking for complete copies. I've owned them both and they are fun games. Sadly, they went up in a fire seven years ago, so....

Time Killers is an expensive and mildly rare Genesis. It was delayed several times, only to be released in limited quantities towards the end of Genny's life-span. It's a horrid port though.

Those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41:44 pm »
Blazing Heroes for Saturn. Amazing, underrated RPG.

Offline max_cady

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2014, 05:53:05 pm »
Dreamcast, as far as I know:

Evolution: Far Off Promise (UK version) - Next to impossible to find
Cannon Spike
Shenmue II
Evil Twin
Street Figther III: Third Strike

---------------------
Update: Carrier
« Last Edit: January 06, 2014, 05:55:22 pm by max_cady »

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 09:47:33 am »

I'm not knocking the game or anything, but I don't believe ANY game is worth that price, whether you are a gamer, SEGA fan or whatever. It's just way too much for what it offers.

And believe me, I am at 10 hours and near the end of the game, so it's all subjective considering how you play it. :P

However, I don't regret playing the game as it's great! Just not the expensive type of great....and I feel like that about Champagne too.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2014, 01:48:09 pm »
I'm not knocking the game or anything, but I don't believe ANY game is worth that price, whether you are a gamer, SEGA fan or whatever. It's just way too much for what it offers.

And believe me, I am at 10 hours and near the end of the game, so it's all subjective considering how you play it. :P

However, I don't regret playing the game as it's great! Just not the expensive type of great....and I feel like that about Champagne too.

Ah! It's just that the way you worded it initially, saying "it's a really short RPG for its price tag", implies that there are role-playing games worth the high price for they're longer.

Yeah, it is a subjective experience. However, like a few role-playing games I've played, you kinda' have to replay it since you won't see everything the first time 'round.

I'm not a fan of champagne either, or wine. Had a friend once that blew $150 on a single bottle of wine, and I was completely stunned. Unless it was the blood of Jesus Fucking Christ, I wouldn't pay that much. LOL!
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q