Author Topic: Games about pirates  (Read 12106 times)

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
Games about pirates
« on: January 09, 2014, 08:34:16 pm »
The very first video game - besides Pirates of the Caribbean games - that I have heard about and played for a pirate game, was Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag. I liked the game. It just had a terrible story and a depressing end. I wanted to know if anyone knew of any other good pirate games. Maybe even games that were much better. If you know of any, then please list them...

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
Re: Games about pirates
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2014, 03:56:47 am »
Skies of Arcadia.

Offline Nameless 24

• Total Meseta: 14
  • Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2014, 07:03:00 am »
Games about Pirates? There's a few actually.

Skies was mentioned, but there's also Zack & Wiki, Uncharted Waters and possibly Wind Waker (I forget if it's got Pirates in it).

Skies is certainly the most unique, but Zack & Wiki looks fun too.

Isn't Ratcher and Clank (or at least one of them) based solely on the Pirate Theme?
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 08:29:01 am »
Yup, Wind Waker has pirates in supporting roles.

I'll second Zack and Wiki. Great game, probably the best use of the wiimote - it even beats Mario and Zelda in wiimote integration. Capcom does what Nintendon't.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2014, 09:56:06 pm »
- Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest: Kaptain K. Rool kidnaps Donkey Kong and it's Diddy and Dixie to the rescue!
- Far Cry 3: You get kidnapped while on vacation and escape from pirates on a tropical island.
- Kingdom Hearts: Neverland and Port Royal mostly.
- Mega Man Legends: On the subject of air pirates, here we have the Bonne family.
- Metroid: Do space pirates count?
- Monkey Island: Never played these games, but apparently they're about pirates.
- One Piece: Luffy's gonna be king of the pirates, ya'll.
- Ratchet and Clank Future - Quest for Booty: Title pretty much implies that pirates will be in it.
- Shantae: The lady pirate Risky Boots is the main villain of the series. And in the upcoming game Shantae and the Pirate's Curse, Shantae has to become a pirate herself.
- Sonic Rush Adventure: Captain Whisker.

Offline nuckles87

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2014, 10:01:00 pm »
I've heard great things about the PS2 RPG "Rogue Galaxy". It's about space pirates.

As for what I've personally played, Skies and Zack & Wiki are both spectacular, but there's also Sid Mier's Pirates! which is a through and through swashbuckling sim.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2014, 10:53:35 pm »
Oh yeah! Duh, of course Monkey Island. I played through the first game on iOS and it's a lot of fun. Really funny writing and story.

Offline Scarred Sun

• GOTH GOTH GOTH
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2014, 01:15:36 pm »

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2014, 01:42:13 pm »
Play Skies of Arcadia dammit! It is a JRPG about pirates and it has Vyse and company.

Shantae: the first Shantae game is available on 3DS eShop. My first impression of it was highly positive, but it mellowed over time. The scope of the game was smaller than I expected and it's...extremely straightforward with the exception of the squid collecting; nevertheless, it's a pretty impressive title for its time. I contributed to the Kickstarter for the new Shantae game and will be playing it. The concept of piracy is on the periphery more than anything. The main villain is a pirate and she is a mean person who has a pirate ship that she uses to attack stuff.

Mega Man Legends: the concept of piracy is also sort of secondary here. You frequently encounter the Bonne Family within the two main games and they do attempt to terrorize or do otherwise bad things, but the games generally treat them as comic relief instead of any sort of real threat. Being air pirates and with all of the technology present there isnt much that's analogous to the "classic" romantic notion of pirates but they are pretty fun games, though the combat is clunky in hindsight.

Monkey Island: Having only played the first game, the classic pirate sensibilities and aesthetic are much more at play here. It's supposed to be a humorous game but its absurdity might not appeal to all, though I liked it. It's not a mature game but it's really quite adult. The puzzles are obtuse and intimidating for some - more challenging than what you might expect out of Phoenix Wright and certainly a lot less guided than that franchise; I actually needed help for that grog transportation one, and I make a point of not doing such things! Anyway, this game feels very old school, but I certainly recommend it. I played it through a remake put on XBLA - if its still there, buy it!
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Spock

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:38:49 pm »
I am not sure why most of you have suggested Skies of Arcadia. It's a Japanese RPG that has very little to do with pirates whatsoever. I really wanted one that was more realistic that Monkey Island. Even though that is a great game, I think it something that is mostly for children. I guess I could try High Seas Trader or Seadogs. Those two are the only ones that have really seemed interesting to me so far...

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2014, 03:09:31 am »
I am not sure why most of you have suggested Skies of Arcadia. It's a Japanese RPG that has very little to do with pirates whatsoever.

Right, only the main characters are pirates.

Offline loempiavreter

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2014, 10:17:49 am »
He probably means pirates in a less fantasy like setting.

Offline Spock

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2014, 03:10:04 pm »
He probably means pirates in a less fantasy like setting.

Yes. That is what I meant.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 01:26:05 am »
I am not sure why most of you have suggested Skies of Arcadia. It's a Japanese RPG that has very little to do with pirates whatsoever.

Because it's awesome as shit.

I really wanted one that was more realistic that Monkey Island. Even though that is a great game, I think it something that is mostly for children. I guess I could try High Seas Trader or Seadogs. Those two are the only ones that have really seemed interesting to me so far...

Well there aren't many developers in love with the romance of pirates today. I can't think of a game that legitimately embraces the classic, grounded pirate aesthetic while also being as mature as you might want it to be. If Zack and Wiki (which I haven't played) doesn't cut it, and Monkey Island doesn't either, I don't have much to suggest. =\
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Spock

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 08:07:09 pm »
Well there aren't many developers in love with the romance of pirates today. I can't think of a game that legitimately embraces the classic, grounded pirate aesthetic while also being as mature as you might want it to be. If Zack and Wiki (which I haven't played) doesn't cut it, and Monkey Island doesn't either, I don't have much to suggest. =\

Thanks for your help anyway. I might try looking up Skies of Zack & Wiki, Arcadia, and Monkey Island to see which one I like the best. I kind of wonder why you thought gaming companies are not interested in pirates. They seem like a great opportunity for video games. I am sure there are a lot pirate games. It's just that some are more difficult to find. Plus, there are not too many that look like they are any good.