Author Topic: Games about pirates  (Read 12099 times)

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
Re: Games about pirates
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2014, 01:17:13 pm »
Ehh, it's not like I'm a trend analyst or anything, but I'm just not sure there's a broader pirate appreciation out there right now, so to speak. Not that I think it should be all that important as far as deciding what you want to make. It's just that I don't think the pirate phenomenon has ever been like the ninja phenomenon, for whatever reason. I sort of think that the ninja popularity was bolstered by the Japan's growth in the 70s and 80s. Perhaps if someone took a deeper look they might find that the pirate image was much more popular in a different time and in a different medium (probably books or something but even that might have to do with a slow rate of global cultural integration for whatever reason.) Yeah sure, we had Pirate of the Caribbean films but having seen the first three I think their popularity had more to do with the characters (good-looking, quirky, etc.) than the world of pirates.

I wonder how flexible the concept of the traditional pirate is for games. Ninjas can do all sorts of stuff. I don't know if there are as many Ninja-inspired and characters gaming franchises (Strider, Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, w/e else) as pirates. In a lot of the games I cited piracy is more of an ethos than it is adherence to certain behaviors, techniques, or aesthetic.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline Spock

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 02:01:44 pm »
Ehh, it's not like I'm a trend analyst or anything, but I'm just not sure there's a broader pirate appreciation out there right now, so to speak. Not that I think it should be all that important as far as deciding what you want to make. It's just that I don't think the pirate phenomenon has ever been like the ninja phenomenon, for whatever reason. I sort of think that the ninja popularity was bolstered by the Japan's growth in the 70s and 80s. Perhaps if someone took a deeper look they might find that the pirate image was much more popular in a different time and in a different medium (probably books or something but even that might have to do with a slow rate of global cultural integration for whatever reason.) Yeah sure, we had Pirate of the Caribbean films but having seen the first three I think their popularity had more to do with the characters (good-looking, quirky, etc.) than the world of pirates.

I wonder how flexible the concept of the traditional pirate is for games. Ninjas can do all sorts of stuff. I don't know if there are as many Ninja-inspired and characters gaming franchises (Strider, Shinobi, Ninja Gaiden, w/e else) as pirates. In a lot of the games I cited piracy is more of an ethos than it is adherence to certain behaviors, techniques, or aesthetic.

I see what you are saying. I think Ninjas might actually be slightly more popular than pirates. Still, I'm not entirely sure. I kind of wanted to live in the time period of pirates. Unfortunately, there is no way I can do that, so I wanted to play a game about pirates. I don't want to be a pirate. I just thought the pirate culture would be rather interesting. Oh well, at least we can have Talk Like A Pirate Day.

Offline Emmett The Crab

• Total Meseta: 24
  • Smotrenfu!
    • http://www.CliveBarkerCast.com
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 05:13:49 pm »
There are the Somali Pirates.  You could join them. 

Offline Spock

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2014, 03:01:49 pm »
I've heard great things about the PS2 RPG "Rogue Galaxy". It's about space pirates.

As for what I've personally played, Skies and Zack & Wiki are both spectacular, but there's also Sid Mier's Pirates! which is a through and through swashbuckling sim.

Thanks for mentioning Sid Mier's pirates. It's been a while since anyone posted in this thread. I took a look back about seven days ago, then I saw that you said "Sid Mier's Pirates." It's a great game for how old it is. It looks like it was made in the 2000s. The game was actually made in the 1980s. I'm loving this game because it is the exact type of pirate game that I was looking for before.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 11:55:25 pm »
The thing about Ninjas, is that it has been over done. I like Ninja, but I can pull up any Ninja game, and it will be the same yawning exprience.

Dynamite Deka 2  ( WHICH NOBODY HAS SAID YET....Mhhwwhaaa ha ha ha ha ), The whole entire game ( so far ) has been nothing but me, on an cruise ship, beating the hell out of pirates. It has cannon balls, knives, swords, and they are even wearing the actual hats, that comes off?? Even one cut scene is pure Pirate cheeze that was pulled out......

There are tons of games with Pirates, based from films, cartoons, and animations.

Treasure Planet
Treasure Island
Sinbad
Water World
CUtthroat Island
Secret Of Evermore
Super Ghouls and Ghosts SNES
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood/Vampire Kiss/X
Cool Spot???
Alundra II
Lunar II
Luputa Castle in the Sky/Nadia blue Water
Talespin
DuckTales
Go Go Trouble Makers ( they have a Pirate Clancer )
Pirates of the Dark Water
FOX Five Peter Pan.............
The list goes on. So many pirates, in games
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 08:26:10 am by RegalSin »

Offline Spock

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 11:50:38 am »
The thing about Ninjas, is that it has been over done. I like Ninja, but I can pull up any Ninja game, and it will be the same yawning exprience.

Dynamite Deka 2  ( WHICH NOBODY HAS SAID YET....Mhhwwhaaa ha ha ha ha ), The whole entire game ( so far ) has been nothing but me, on an cruise ship, beating the hell out of pirates. It has cannon balls, knives, swords, and they are even wearing the actual hats, that comes off?? Even one cut scene is pure Pirate cheeze that was pulled out......

There are tons of games with Pirates, based from films, cartoons, and animations.

Treasure Planet
Treasure Island
Sinbad
Water World
CUtthroat Island
Secret Of Evermore
Super Ghouls and Ghosts SNES
Castlevania: Rondo of Blood/Vampire Kiss/X
Cool Spot???
Alundra II
Lunar II
Luputa Castle in the Sky/Nadia blue Water
Talespin
DuckTales
Go Go Trouble Makers ( they have a Pirate Clancer )
Pirates of the Dark Water
FOX Five Peter Pan.............
The list goes on. So many pirates, in games

Ik vind het feit dat je spelen over piraten gepost, maar wat ninjas hebben te maken met dit onderwerp?