Author Topic: What genres do you want to see more of these days?  (Read 8588 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
What genres do you want to see more of these days?
« on: September 08, 2014, 09:53:37 am »
Topic.

I vote RTS games (old school macro based ones). I'm looking forward to Grey Goo, but I'm dubious as to whether Stronghold Crusader 2 will be any good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQPOFAqoZuo

Offline TruthEnigma

• Total Meseta: 2
Re: What genres do you want to see more of these days?
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 01:47:01 pm »
Lucasarts/Sierra style adventures. No doubt. Particularly if Tim Schafer is involved.

Offline RegalSin

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2014, 10:45:16 pm »
I wish we had more "Beat-em-ups" and less slo-motion zoom in of action bs.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 08:04:21 am »
I wish we had more "Beat-em-ups" and less slo-motion zoom in of action bs.

You know, there really is a distinct lack of old school brawlers. I don't mean fast paced action like Bayonetta and DMC, but something that's slower paced like Streets of Rage. Even God Hand had a different 'feel' to it, it just felt more 'chunky'? Hard to explain.
I think Yakuza is the closest thing I can think of, and it does a wonderful job of it. Would like to see more games like that.

Lucasarts/Sierra style adventures. No doubt. Particularly if Tim Schafer is involved.

Well, there is Broken Age, but it's not quite the same. I would say Grim Fandango remake is coming at least!

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 08:50:20 am »
non-indie beat em ups are rare, the problem is that the genre evolved to today's hack and slash and stylish action games, and musou.  It doesn't have to be a belt scroller, but there is still a joy in just beating the crap out of random thugs.  Like you said Yakuza really hits that spot well.  That and Dragon Crown which was influenced by the Dungeons and Dragons game.

Like-wise run and gun is hard to come by, and I mean that as pure fast-paced shooting action.  That also moved on to third person shooters (which usually have cover) but you can see a little of gameplay in action platformers like Ratchet and Clank.
I would love to have another game like Gungrave personally, it was wild and a lot more fun than most shooters I tried.  Sin and Punishment for the rail variant.

Offline inthesky

• Total Meseta: 5
  • Altaha Abilia
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2014, 01:11:46 pm »

I am actually invested in more adventure games. Rime, the Witness, and Toren sound cool and I love games that have a feeling of vast, heavy and empty/solitary atmosphere but I had a lot of fun with stuff like Secret of Monkey Island.
Proud recipient of the second ever Gary Player Award!
I support Shenmue and Skies of Arcadia HD ports!

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2014, 08:02:39 pm »
I would like to see more point n' click adventures, like space quest or machinarium.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Regis

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Loola Games Online
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2014, 11:16:33 am »
I miss the old beat em ups, with more classic gameplay. The current hack and slash games are too fast compared to the old classics.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2014, 12:48:19 pm »
A few years ago I'd say 2D platformers, but those have really made a comeback.

I'd second TruthEnigma in wanting more Lucasarts/Sierra style adventures. Back to the Future The Game and Jurassic Park the Game were kinda on the mark, but I'd prefer original stories and not movie based games.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2014, 04:31:29 am »
I love to see the return of the traditional shooter (note no bullet hell ones) and the fun and simple Arcade racer
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 09:54:24 am »
I love to see the return of the traditional shooter (note no bullet hell ones) and the fun and simple Arcade racer

What kind of shooter do you mean? Apologies, i'm not much of a Shmup fan.

As for Arcade Racers, I miss those too. The best example I can think of recently was Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, I fucking loved that game. I thought it was much better than Burnout Paradise and much, much better than the newer NFS Rivals.

It is kind of sad that most racing games now seem to be either 'TRUE DRIVING SIMULATION' (Forza, GT, GRID etc) or the other extreme of 'Mario Kart, but not with Mario'.

Offline Kuronoa

• Total Meseta: 3
    • Segalization
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2014, 07:00:19 pm »
I personally don't care about sandbox arcade racers, so it is either playing a kart racer or just boot up an old Sega/Namco racer for me.  90s Arcade racer and FAST is promising, however, and I probably should hunt down Wipeout games to satisfy my desire for a new F-Zero.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2014, 12:10:03 am »
Side scrolling shooters like Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug, Contra. I mean, there hasn't been a big new franchise outside of 'Broforce' which is awesome but dislike that the environment gets destroyed. Where is the design in blowing holes and moving on?

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2014, 04:42:28 am »
What kind of shooter do you mean? Apologies, i'm not much of a Shmup fan

Ones like Tiger Helli and Soukyugurentai (The best shooter ever made imo) and Battle Garegga

Need For Speed Hot Pursuit, I fucking loved that game. I thought it was much better than Burnout Paradise and much, much better than the newer NFS Rivals.

Yeah it was great . I miss the days of simple racers with just a few cars and tracks with amazing art and just simple clean fun . The last great Arcade racer I think I played was Outrun 2006
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2014, 08:15:01 am »
I personally don't care about sandbox arcade racers, so it is either playing a kart racer or just boot up an old Sega/Namco racer for me.  90s Arcade racer and FAST is promising, however, and I probably should hunt down Wipeout games to satisfy my desire for a new F-Zero.

NFS Hot Pursuit isn't Sandbox, which is partly what I like about it. You pick races/events and go at them and unlock harder ones. You can go back and try for Gold Medal scores and times too.

I agree though, it's not quite the same thing. I did just remember Motorstorm as well. I only played Apocalypse and that was kinda fun.
Side scrolling shooters like Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug, Contra. I mean, there hasn't been a big new franchise outside of 'Broforce' which is awesome but dislike that the environment gets destroyed. Where is the design in blowing holes and moving on?

I wish SNK would make a new Metal Slug with the old graphics rather than just re-release Metal Slug X and 3 ten million times.
Ones like Tiger Helli and Soukyugurentai (The best shooter ever made imo) and Battle Garegga

Not the same thing, but mention of Tiger Heli made me think of the old 'Strike' series like Jungle Strike and Desert Strike. I would love to see those get re-released.