Author Topic: New Sega Console  (Read 14064 times)

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
New Sega Console
« on: September 08, 2015, 01:40:23 pm »
Let me be clear, I do not think it should happen, unless it's only in Japan of course. With the release of Shenmue III in 2017, I wanted to know what the people of Segabits thought about Sega releasing a console along with the new game...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
Re: New Sega Console
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 04:56:38 pm »
It will never happen. SEGA does not have the resources in place, they would have to hire a whole division devoted to home console creation. Plus, SEGA has zero investment in Shenmue 3. They have no reason to support the game.

At this point, I don't even want a home console from SEGA. I would, however, love to see a SEGA designed Steam Box.

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 05:21:01 pm »
It will never happen. SEGA does not have the resources in place, they would have to hire a whole division devoted to home console creation. Plus, SEGA has zero investment in Shenmue 3. They have no reason to support the game.

At this point, I don't even want a home console from SEGA. I would, however, love to see a SEGA designed Steam Box.

I 2nd that statement.
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 05:53:59 pm »
No need. But I would be up for SEGA doing their own gaming tablets.
Made by SEGA

Offline Tad

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2015, 05:32:12 am »
At the moment, no. As they simply don't have the resources or fund, but more importantly, do we really need another box with the PS4/XBO and wii u (heh) out there? More people seem to be turning to PC now too.

If they released a steam like service for multiple devices however, that would be interesting I think.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2015, 09:25:12 am »
PC is the future, and Tablets/mobile will replace handheld consoles.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2015, 10:04:35 am »
SEGA making a Steam Machine would be amazing. Imagine, SEGA Europe and SEGA Japan working together (I know, when pigs fly) to develop and design a Steam Machine that is best suited for SEGA's PC output. Bring in past SEGA hardware all-stars like Hideki Sato and Masami Ishikawa (they're still active, right?) as consultants and design a case that evokes past SEGA hardware. I don't mean a Saturn with PC components inside, but a machine that looks like the logical evolution of SEGA hardware. Pre-load it with a mix of games, like Sonic Generations, the latest Total War, Football Manager, and Valkyrie Chronicles. Include a special edition Steam controller.

I'm certain SEGA fans would plunk down a fair amount of cash for one of these, and it expands SEGA's PC audience.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 10:55:21 am »
A Sega portable console/tablet with a subscription to the vast backlog of Sega games. As well as being compatible with all recent mobile releases.
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 11:01:15 am »
Tablet would be tricky, unless it is using existing architecture and digital services, but by then I don't see what point there would be in making one unless they went all out. But I can't see SEGA going all out. :(

Offline pcm92

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 11:13:25 am »
I know this may be a dumb question, but what is "steam"?

Offline pirovash88

• Total Meseta: 27
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2015, 11:20:03 am »
Gamertag: Pirovash88 Twitch.TV/Pirovash88

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2015, 11:23:36 am »
SEGA making a Steam Machine would be amazing. Imagine, SEGA Europe and SEGA Japan working together (I know, when pigs fly) to develop and design a Steam Machine that is best suited for SEGA's PC output. Bring in past SEGA hardware all-stars like Hideki Sato and Masami Ishikawa (they're still active, right?)

I really want to know if Hideki Sato is active (anywhere). He kind of dissapeared of the face of the earth atfer giving Hisao Oguchi the President seat.

Famistu did an interview on the SG-1000 30th anniversary book, but sadly isn't up on the website. Sucks
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 11:27:38 am by Trippled »

Offline Draikin

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2015, 01:51:04 pm »
One thing that I think Sega could do is team up with Sony and use PlayStation Now to stream their old console games. Sony plans to add PS One and PS2 games to the service, but in theory they could use the same technology to stream games from any console. Sony has the infrastructure and Sega has a large library of games, so them teaming up could be a win-win situation. Imagine PlayStation Now running Shenmue 1 & 2.

Online Berto

• Total Meseta: 23
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2015, 08:18:48 pm »
I don't want a home console from SEGA too. If the founder himself, David Rosen, said that SEGA games skould and could be enjoyed by everyone, not just by some SEGA's console owner elitist, who are we to argue him.

“I have been advocating this for more than seven years (until  they leave the game hardware business permanently). I always felt it was a bit of folly for them to be limiting their potential to Sega hardware.” (David Rosen)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2015, 09:39:59 am »
Think of this:

July 15, 1983: SG-1000 released in Japan, SEGA's first home console
March 31, 2001: Dreamcast is discontinued

Duration: 17 years, 8 months, 16 days

April 1, 2001: First day post-Dreamcast
December 17, 2018: SEGA has been third party for as long as it was in the home console business (17 years, 8 months, 16 days)