Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles 3 is actually for the PSP! + RGG: OTE  (Read 21127 times)

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
Re: Valkyria Chronicles 3 is actually for the PSP! + RGG: OTE
« Reply #30 on: September 15, 2010, 09:04:19 am »
I agree that the series would have high production values (And therefore most likely, quality) on consoles, but as I pointed out, the original sold 140,000 on the PS3 in Japan and around 130,000 in America, add a further 80,000 in from the budget release and you'd be looking at 350,000 at the very least. But a good 140,000 of that is through the price cut sales. Europe sales I have no access to but I doubt it did that well there.

I mean if Alpha Protocol with sales of over 700,000 is still considered a failure by SEGA, you know that they need big sales to justify big games, there is a reason Yakuza is a yearly release with a lot of re-used assests.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #31 on: September 15, 2010, 12:03:47 pm »
Just when I was start of hoping SEGA would have a decent Tokyo game show SEGA do this .

Making Val III for the PSP is just rubbish news and not going to get the masses excited at all. Sort of puzzling now the PS3 and the 360 are well establish consoles and boating a great sell rate, unlike when Val launched in 2008.
Why not make a Val III for the 360 and PS3 with an improved Canvas engine, and then do a port to the PSP, DS 3D and Wii (so everyone is happy) and a real way to help grow the series and get it established to the masses ?

Then I read about Yakuza and the Zombie mode  . Is the yakuza that people loved for re-creating a realistic Japan and a setting of believable characters and storylines ? Sure people will say its a Spin off and now a Direct sequel , well so was Shadow The Hedgehog a spin off, didn't stop people knocking it , saying you're killing the Sonic brand , same for the Shining spin off's ECT.

And its not like shooting hundreds Zombies are new, Capcom been there and done it with Dead Rising, we've had Zombies Left 4 dead, and even a Zombie mode In Call of Duty .
 I've been worried for a while about the series being run into the ground and running out of new ideas, for a while
This seems to confirm the news

This just leaves the Sonic Team to save SEGA at this years show. Lets hope at least they'll be making a next Gen sequel to PSO.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2010, 12:50:33 pm »
Valkyria Chronicles is a Strategy RPG, the most niche of an already niche genre this generation, the masses would never get excited for it I'm afraid.

Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
Then I read about Yakuza and the Zombie mode . Is the yakuza that people loved for re-creating a realistic Japan and a setting of believable characters and storylines ? Sure people will say its a Spin off and now a Direct sequel , well so was Shadow The Hedgehog a spin off, didn't stop people knocking it , saying you're killing the Sonic brand , same for the Shining spin off's ECT.

If people honestly thought Yakuza was realistic, something is extremely wrong... The spoiler below just shows how unrealistic the series is;

[spoiler:1u3lew4i]A vast network watching everyone in Tokyo, found in an underground city housing gambling shops and a coliseum, all headed by one man and maintained by a bunch of hobos[/spoiler:1u3lew4i]

And that's not just one of the completely unrealistic plotlines, the series has it in every release. It has great characters though and I do not think that will change, but the storylines were never realistic in the slightest, they were good yes, but not realistic.

Shadow the Hedgehog was a violent spinoff to a family series that is actually connected to the main storyline and is a conclusion to the events in Sonic Heroes. I think it's fair to say this is not a conclusion to any Yakuza storyline. Most people were fine with the Shining games when they happen to be good, like Shining Soul II, Shining Force Cross etc, not when you have the quality of a licensed product (Which some unfortunately are)

Offline Sieghardt

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #33 on: September 15, 2010, 01:34:49 pm »
^You might want to google japanese CCTV systems, what you're pointing out as being as farfetched as zombies is a reality. there are millions of these cameras and it's pretty easy to hack into them. They're very common in japan and england.

Offline Aki-at

• The Dragon
« Reply #34 on: September 15, 2010, 01:41:28 pm »
Quote from: "Sieghardt"
^You might want to google japanese CCTV systems, what you're pointing out as being as farfetched as zombies is a reality. there are millions of these cameras and it's pretty easy to hack into them. They're very common in japan and england.

Yes, they are common in England, however I seriously doubt a bunch of hobos maintaining that network here. The British government is more likely to control than it being maintained by a group of homeless people.

Also Yakuza 2 also have a worse example or being not realistic.

[spoiler:f03bsfi0]A Giant Golden Osaka castle waising from it's gwave above the original castle that houses samurais and tiger punching! A whole chapter dedicated to it[/spoiler:f03bsfi0]

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2010, 02:19:46 pm »
How are zombies in a mafia story unoriginal?

I do not even understand what you want in the series TA, at least give it a chance to see a video first.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2010, 02:21:35 pm »
Valkyria Chronicles is a Strategy RPG, the most niche of an already niche genre this generation, the masses would never get excited for it I'm afraid.

I meant what's left of the SEGA masses . This is poor news, not helped by the fact that the PSP really isn't a goer in the West anymore. Now a Multi Platform  Next Gen Val III would have got more here talking and excited imo , and give the series a far better chance to make a breakthrough

If people honestly thought Yakuza was realistic, something is extremely wrong... The spoiler below just shows how unrealistic the series is;

No game is 100 % realistic. I thought many liked Yakuza for giving a great impression of the under world in Japan, and for lovingly creating/ a City and a cast , that's a bit believable .

I wonder why the team wasted so much time and effort in researching the Yakuza underworld, Hostess Clubs as well as photographic and other data referenced

As the great put it Kikuchi-san put it

There aren't that many dangerous places anymore lately. There was a magazine that ran an interview with an actual owner of one of the clubs who had actually played Yakuza, and he complimented it, saying it was very realistic and that there were girls who actually talk like this

First we took the scenario we had written on our end and had him look at it. He edited it and pointed out instances where things weren't realistic or when a character's emotions didn't fit in. Of course his background in writing underground crime novels was very helpful. But he helped us with even more basic things, like the setting or the emotional state of the characters. We then repeated the process in going back and forth in order to change those problem areas.

Who knows maybe the Team should have just watched Dawn Of The Dead instead
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 02:29:49 pm by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2010, 02:29:17 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
How are zombies in a mafia story unoriginal?

I do not even understand what you want in the series TA, at least give it a chance to see a video first.

That's like saying Zombies in COD is original, maybe it is but I don't play COD games for Zombie modes

Want I want from the series is a complete overhaul on Tech , for the game to push the PS3 as much as Yakuza II did on the PS2. Interactive environments, and far, far better animations, and for a completely totally brand new City to be modelled and created .

Kind of like the huge difference in GTA IV to San Andreas. Same game, just vastly improved tech, and interaction. Making use of the next gen and Online.

To me Yakuza is going the way of Tomb Raider.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #38 on: September 15, 2010, 02:43:03 pm »
I agree with TA on Valkyria Chronicles, it should have been on the PS3. I couldn't disagree more about Yakuza however.

The Yakuza series did a good job of setting up interesting stories and great characters. This can still be done in a Yakuza with Zombies. They still could do it with Kenzan.

Lets face it the series has never been THAT realistic, sure it has a realistic plot but just below the surface is completely wacky senerios, humour and locations.

I have no problem with a Zombie spin off, again if they can make 1 Yakuza a year and it STILL get a 9/9/9/9 score. (Yakuza PSP) Then what ever! Great.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #39 on: September 15, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »
All the writers for SEGAbits secretly dress up as babies on the weekends and have Japanese women care for them. FACT.

I really hope for manbaby zombies!

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2010, 03:16:07 pm »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"
To me Yakuza is going the way of Tomb Raider.

Even Eidos themselves said Tomb Raider was at it's prime with Tomb Raider 2. The second game.

This is, what? The seventh game or something? And it keeps getting more popular...

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #41 on: September 15, 2010, 03:50:23 pm »
We could argue about Yakuza's realism all day, but this game looks to outdo all the wacky moments of the previous game. This isn't meant to be Yakuza 5, this is Yakuza: The End. It's a spin-off where they are just going to go nuts doing crazy things that don't have to make sense (I think).

It's like a 'What if' or something, as far as I'm concerned this is something completely unreleated to the rest of the series and a chance to do something completely different and fun.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #42 on: September 15, 2010, 03:52:59 pm »
Is it even confirmed the game is a spin-off?

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #43 on: September 15, 2010, 04:01:01 pm »
2 PSP VC games in a row. Why would it be a spin-off?
Don't these games continue the story?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2010, 04:38:19 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
2 PSP VC games in a row. Why would it be a spin-off?
Don't these games continue the story?

Hi, hes talking about Yakuza not Valkyria Chonricles 2.

@Pao, It doesn't have a number in the title it is not Yakuza 5. So it is basically a spin off.
Made by SEGA