Author Topic: Alien: Isolation Release Discussion - Reviews & Spoilers  (Read 61178 times)

Offline Mariano

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Segarion
    • Funnoticias
Re: Alien: Isolation Release Discussion - Reviews & Spoilers
« Reply #60 on: October 03, 2014, 05:23:51 pm »
Yeah, honestly I'm more surprised at people being surprised that there are low scores!

It was always going to be a very jarring experience for people, some just do not prefer needing to think out and plan and hide in a locker to lose their pursuer. What some would find extremely repetative and frustrating to other's is exactly the sort of tense survival horror game people are looking for.

Also IGN gave Football Manager a low review because you were playing as a football manager.

Jajaja yes the football manager 2009 case XD. That was epic. IGN US gave it 2/10 and IGN UK a 9/10.

Here is the link if someome dont remember that fiasco:

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/707676-ign-us-scores-football-manager-2009-as-a-2-uk-scores-it-as-91/

http://www.giantbomb.com/forums/general-discussion-30/the-single-worst-review-ever-written-ign-220881/

I dont really think that IGN have something against SEGA, they are just...no objectives in my opinion. At least in the US. (No offence).

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #61 on: October 03, 2014, 07:00:14 pm »
Personally I felt like the IGN and Polygon people just aren't into survival horror.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2014, 05:01:26 am »
Personally I felt like the IGN and Polygon people just aren't into survival horror.
That is the problem though, they need to find a reviewer who IS... So that he is comparing the game to other survival horrors, which he enjoyed and not too Call of Duty or whatever these reviewers are into.
Made by SEGA

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2014, 05:16:08 am »
No one takes IGN seriously anymore...they're a laughing stock to dedicated gamers...just like EGM was back in the day...

Offline George

« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2014, 05:27:16 am »
Was looking at more complaints and some of this was 'fetch quest' which is absurd. I know I don't like it but the Survival Horror genre's bread and butter is 'fetch quest'. Resident Evil had them throughout the game with some puzzles here and there, even new games like Dead Space (which most of these publications that have a issue with it in Aliens gave it 9-10 scores when it was released). I think its weird that its 'too long'....

I noticed a huge double standard here. If it has SEGA on the box, lower the score 3 points. I guess I might agree, I haven't played it so I will see soon.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2014, 06:56:07 am »

I noticed a huge double standard here. If it has SEGA on the box, lower the score 3 points. I guess I might agree, I haven't played it so I will see soon.
Been saying that for years also. These fuckers can't make their mind up. When sega was releasing games only on their systems...they kept marking them low and said that the systems was holding the games back. When Sega released games as a third party...they marked them low saying it wasn't the sega games we loved on their systems...and now when sega makes the exact same game using the actual license that Dead Space is inspired by...they still mark it low...Iremember sega games were marked low because they were too quick and not long enough..now this game is marked low for being too long....LOL..these guys are a joke...

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2014, 02:47:00 pm »

Don't forget that SEGA hasn't used IGN to promote Alien: Isolation through any of their ads on the website, it shows by them picking the reviewer they did too (He's a big Halo fan and in general FPS.)

Not sure if this is relevant but I was interested in seeing how well Alien was doing, the only information I have access to though is the Amazon charts and Stream charts.

Steam
10. Alien: Isolation

(There was a deluxe edition that included the season pass but that's dropped out of the charts or Steam has combined the SKUs into one.)

Amazon.com
18. Alien: Isolation [Playstation 4]
77. Alien: Isolation [Xbox One]

Amazon.co.uk
10. Alien: Isolation [Playstation 4] [Standard Edition] [42 days in the top 100]
24. Alien: Isolation [Xbox One] [Standard Edition] [16 days in the top 100]
50. Alien: Isolation [Playstation 4] [Steelbook Edition] [14 days in the top 100]
56. Alien: Isolation [Playstation 3] [Standard Edition] [2 days in the top 100]
80. Alien: Isolation [Xbox 360] [Standard Edition] [2 days in the top 100]

Amazon.fr
7. Alien: Isolation [Playstation 4] [41 days in the top 100]
25. Alien: Isolation [Xbox One] [19 days in the top 100]
36. Alien: Isolation [PC] [13 days in the top 100]

Amazon.de
49. Alien: Isolation - Ripley Edition [Playstation 4] [26 days in the top 100]
74. Alien: Isolation - Ripley Edition [PC] [6 days in the top 100]

Amazon.it
19. Alien: Isolation - Ripley Edition [Playstation 4]
57. Alien: Isolation - Ripley Edition [Xbox One]

Amazon.es
9. Alien: Isolation - Ripley Edition [Playstation 4]
39. Alien: Isolation - Ripley Edition [PC]
93. Alien: Isolation - Ripley Edition [Xbox 360]

Two things to note, firstly the UK has multiple SKUs see it might, if it ever gets there, take Alien: Isolation a little while longer to get in the top 100 best selling in video games for Amazon. Second I'm really surprised at how much more Alien there is in the UK charts than the US one and the massive difference in positions too heh.

Though I think it might be safe to assume this game might breeze past SEGA's 2 million+ expectations... I just hope if it does The Creative Assembly are allowed to make an original IP (Or if they want to work on Predator next I'm totally down with that idea too! : D)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 02:49:15 pm by Aki-at »

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2014, 03:20:58 pm »
I haven't read/watched most of the reviews, but the Gametrailers review seems to give a good idea of the game's positives and faults: http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/8sbhfm/alien--isolation-review

Apparently the player becomes more capable as the game goes on, but doesn't make the Alien and possible other enemies any more threatening, meaning it actually becomes easier and less scary as it goes on. Also there's a part of the game where the Alien doesn't appear and instead you have to go up against less threatening Androids. I've also heard some complaints about the game being too long, with it taking 15-20 hours to finish.

Not sure how bad those issues really are as obviously I haven't played the game yet, but aside from those the game seems to be fine.

Offline George

« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2014, 03:31:13 pm »
Its funny because if the game was 5-10 hours they would be giving it low marks for being to short.

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2014, 03:56:51 pm »
Its funny because if the game was 5-10 hours they would be giving it low marks for being to short.
Really? Cause lots of games these days are around that length. And the game being long can be a problem if there isn't enough variety.

Offline Mariano

• Segarion
    • Funnoticias
« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2014, 04:48:24 pm »
I agree with George, that complain about the lenght is bitching in most of the cases in my opinion...
The 90% of the gamers just complain for complain in these days, like George said, if the game is 5-10 hours "buuuuuuh the game is too short!", if the game is 15_20 hours, "Buuuuuh the game is too long!"...give me a break...

Offline fernandeath

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2014, 05:20:21 am »
Don't forget that SEGA hasn't used IGN to promote Alien: Isolation through any of their ads on the website, it shows by them picking the reviewer they did too (He's a big Halo fan and in general FPS.)

GameInformer was a big promoter of the game.
Still their review score was a 'good-but-not-great' 7.75/10

Offline ROJM

« Reply #72 on: October 05, 2014, 10:05:00 am »
GameInformer was a big promoter of the game.
Still their review score was a 'good-but-not-great' 7.75/10
Sega use to use Gameinformer to exclusively unveil some of their games at one point...and since then they don't bother with them for that anymore.

Not sure if this is relevant but I was interested in seeing how well Alien was doing, the only information I have access to though is the Amazon charts and Stream charts.
What i find amusing is that the PS4 sales for this game are higher than the XBO...how amusing...

Offline TimmiT

• Sonic Retro
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2014, 07:34:47 pm »
If anything the Game Informer review is proof that just because they had a big cover story on the game, that it doesn't mean that they'll give the game a 9+ score.

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2014, 02:29:32 am »
I think we should play the game before claiming "double-standard."

I admit that the game being "too long" is definitely not what I'd have expected, though it's possible that a game can feel too long if new gameplay isn't continually introduced and it begins to feel like "the same old thing."

Will be interesting to see how the public reacts to it. For the most part the critical reception so far seems solid.