Author Topic: Great games you never hear anyone talk about thread  (Read 3076 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Great games you never hear anyone talk about thread
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:08:03 pm »
Inspired by George's topic, but this time we will focus on everything not on SEGA platforms. Hard to do, I know.

With this topic I am talking about games you literally never see anyone mention, not niche games. Figure out the difference!

---

Gitaroo Man

Basically a game like Space Channel 5, but way harder (if that was even possible...). Some of the songs in it are not as good as they probably should be, but the ones that are good are fantastic. It only had a limited release on PlayStation 2, and I am unaware of how common the PlayStation Portable port is.

Not much else to say that the video below does not show. It is made by the same people who did Elite Beat Agents though, so that is kind of neat!

[youtube:181vyn52]5tHmJwM6bc0[/youtube:181vyn52]

Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy

The game looks incredibly bland before you turn it on, and due to a limited release (legal issues) not too many people got to play it. This was such a fantastic game with some of the best replay I have ever seen. The amount of things you could do and the crazy list of things that were unlockable (everything from new characters that actually played different to new game-breaking abilities). Some of the later levels are too hard and not as fun as the first few, but that does not matter, the gameplay is so fun I played through the first level maybe a thousand times.

The PlayStation 2 version is kind of bad, and the Xbox version is the best, but the PC one is easiest to find. *COUGHtorrentsCOUGH*

[youtube:181vyn52]T-uyMgQ-IFk[/youtube:181vyn52]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
Re: Great games you never hear anyone talk about thread
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:36:59 pm »
Stronghold: Crusader (and Stronghold in General)

I bought Stronghold Crusader years ago after playing the demo from a PC mag, and I found it to be one of the most fun RTS games I've ever played.

The real key to the game is the amazing depth and intricacy that the castle building involves. To make a swordsman for example, you need to have a Citizen, a Sword, a set of Armour and gold to pay him. To get the sword you need an armoury to be built to store them. To build the sword, to put in the armoury, you need Iron. To turn the Iron into a Sword, you need a blacksmith. To get the Iron in the first place, you need an Iron Mine. To get people to work the Iron mine, you need to attract new citizens. It sounds complicated, but once you have a castle operating smoothly it's so satisfying to watch. Then you need to get food, and making bread is a whole 'nother story...

You can even affect morale with Taxes and luxuries while will effect how much people fear or love you, how fast they work, how many citizens will move to your castle etc. It's really quite excellent.

The castle seiging and battles were great too. You had all sorts of siege engines to build (Catalpults, Trebuchets, Rams, Siege towers, Shields, Ladders) and you could build moats with drawbridges, oil traps, murder holes... it was really in-depth and fun.

I found it to be a really addictive game and unfortunately StrongHold 2 turned out to be a bit of a dissapointement I heard. It seems there is a new one on the horizon though, so I'm really interested in seein how that turns out.

Offline SOUP

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:32:17 pm »
I picked up Gitaroo Man mostly because I enjoyed Elite Beat Agents and Ouendan 1/2 so much.
I've never been able to make much progress in it though. The input times on the button presses are super precise. After seeing that video, I can confidently say that I will never be able to beat it.
I played through Elite Beat Agents on Super Hard, but this game is something else.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 06:33:32 pm »
Little big adventure on the MS-DOS/PC/playstation.

Man where to begin. It was one of the first RPG's to completely blow me away. The thing is, when it came out I was still just 4 years old. I loved just watching my brother play the game.

The story is about a young lad named twinsen who gets these crazy dreams and foresees the future. He himself doesn't know why and how, but when the bad guy/villain of the game finds out about it, he puts him in jail as soon as possible. And that is when the chaos begins. Twinsen escapes out of jail and the whole friggin planet, full of androids and weird beings, try to capture/kill you. The planet isn't safe anywhere. You'll never be able to get further by playing laid back like any other game. This game requires tactic and once mastering the mechanics everything becomes easier but you still have to be alert 100% throughout the game. There's no slacking off.

The gameplay is very similar to shenmue actually. You speak to people without picking what the maincharacter says, but the more you know, the questions you ask become different. It works exactly like shenmue 1.

There are no level ups, no stats. Just you and your fists. The mechanics of the game are really cool but I imagine today it would need slight adjustments. It's sorta like assasins creed but without the easy controls where you push a button to change from discreet to agressive. Here you have to pick agressive from a menu to use your fists for instance. Athletic for running and jumping.

Later in the game you get this magic ball, which is your "range" weapon to hit enemies from far. It functions like a boomerang without the curves. The ball works differently with every stance. On athletic for instance it goes very far but with descreet it goes high and bounces longer.

THe visuals were basic and pretty decent for it's time. The game came out in 1994 so that was in the genesis/snes era. Everything was pre-rendered and the character models were low poly 3d. It set the atmosphere pratty great for such limitations.

I think from the  many descriptions I made about games, some of you may have noticed how the music always plays a great part for me. It can make or break a game for me. For instance, in sonic unleashed the werehog battle music was one of the biggest reasons why I hated playing it. In sonic colors I hate using super sonic because of the damn repetitive fast looping shitty music.

LBA(little big adventure) has one of the most beautiful orchestrated soundtracks. Just listen to some of the tracks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QECdKDMYIo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usKfoPVg ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7QHfhV33 ... re=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GTYeyYn ... d#t=00m44s

The music just grows on you and finally makes you fall in love with it, literally.

I was so young but I would beg my brother to play it. As I became older I gave it a run myself and it was just as great as I imagined it. Truly one of the best games ever made, and this is just talking about the first game. The second game is far better and instead of pre-rendered backgrounds from the first game, it had full 3d worlds. My post is allready long enough so here 2 videos demonstrating the first and second game.

first game
Second game

The 2 games have left a pretty great fanbase. Like the sonicfanbase, their really passionate and would have loved to see a sequal to the second game. I'd love that myself