Author Topic: That Sonic fan film...  (Read 11019 times)

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
That Sonic fan film...
« on: January 10, 2013, 03:02:20 pm »
... is currently being uploaded to YouTube. I'll admit, I wrote it off as looking like shit (based on the poster, trailers, music(. I mean, yes it has some production values, but it really is too far removed from what Sonic is to me. The CG looks bad, Sonic's model is creepy, the whole thing reeks of American/Western perceptions of the series. Especially those who are die hard Sonic the Hedgehog Saturday morning cartoon fans. Dark and gloomy music and visuals, big bad Robotnik. Eh...

Well, here is the link that'll go live once it's uploaded:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JtCtQpclpY8[/youtube]

Check it out, share your thoughts.

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
Re: That Sonic fan film...
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2013, 03:28:32 pm »
I've watched half way through it and I can't believe they got James Rolfe (AVGN) in the movie lol. I'm not very fond of the American/Western perception either and I can't believe that they used 4 Egg Carriers lol but so far I'm liking the length of the movie. I'm going to finish watching the rest when I get back home.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2013, 04:41:01 pm »
overall really nice movie. but the cgi isnt that great. I do gotta say, I love jaleel white's voice so much better than everything we've gotten since sonic adventure. It fits him so well

Offline thearcticsea

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2013, 04:50:34 pm »
I guess the nicest thing I can say is "Nice effort"?

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2013, 05:08:52 pm »
It was alright. The CG, with the exception of Sonic, is quite decent. I feel some of the explosions were too flashy. Too much flash and not enough debris. Sonic's new look would've been acceptable for me had the CG been more polished. Some motion capture would've made his movement more fluid....

All in all, it's pretty good. I think there's some potential here, but it needs some work.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2013, 05:15:21 pm »
The simple fact that Stuttering Craig, the Angry Video Game Nerd and The Nostalgia Critic are all in this short film already makes it quite an effort.

I mean, s*** I wish I could fan film that looked this good!

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2013, 05:29:00 pm »
Was looking forward for this, but the poster freaked me out a little a while ago.

Will take a look soon
SEG4GES

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2013, 05:38:58 pm »
i think its wrong the freaking nintendo game nerd on this film. he dissed megadrive so badly such an injustice. comparing streets of rage 1 with final fight and forgetting to mention sor2 etc.

as for the rest i love the idea and i appreciate the effort. it may lead to more.

just like they did with mortal kombat legacy
« Last Edit: January 10, 2013, 05:41:06 pm by semmie »

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2013, 05:50:42 pm »
I hated it (and not because of AVGN, I love James).

I hated a number of things: the mish-mash of storylines (Fleetway/Archie/games), the actor playing Robotnik (totally missed the mark on the character), the acting, the blatant cameos (love AVGN, and like Doug Walker, but they were too distracting), the fact that it's "SONIC" yet it's 90% Robotnik and GUN (sorry, "Gee You En").

The CG and real world footage just didn't mesh that well, and Sonic himself was horrible looking. There was no real story to be told, the chaos emeralds and rings were nowhere to be seen outside the titles. Overall I totally think the production quality and efforts have merit, but they combined to create garbage. Like, the Super Mario Bros Movie had big production values, unique sets and creatures, but its still a bad movie. Same here.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2013, 05:53:38 pm »
I hated it (and not because of AVGN, I love James).

I hated a number of things: the mish-mash of storylines (Fleetway/Archie/games), the actor playing Robotnik (totally missed the mark on the character), the acting, the blatant cameos (love AVGN, and like Doug Walker, but they were too distracting), the fact that it's "SONIC" yet it's 90% Robotnik and GUN (sorry, "Gee You En").

The CG and real world footage just didn't mesh that well, and Sonic himself was horrible looking. There was no real story to be told, the chaos emeralds and rings were nowhere to be seen outside the titles. Overall I totally think the production quality and efforts have merit, but they combined to create garbage. Like, the Super Mario Bros Movie had big production values, unique sets and creatures, but its still a bad movie. Same here.

( so were friends again) ;)

well another thing was sonic was kinda slow and didnt have the gesture of the sonic we know

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2013, 06:01:51 pm »
Just saw it.

The extra spikes on Sonic are distracting, but the "movie" is decent.
I love the interpretation of Eggman, and the mixture of storylines was actually pretty well made in my opinion. It seems like a Sonic Adventure approach (humans and Sonic characters living together).

As a fan-film it's actually pretty decent. Personally I would love to see more, and that's the biggest issue. It just feels like a prelude to something bigger/better.
SEG4GES

Offline Kori-Maru

• Total Meseta: 9
  • AMS Kagekidan sanjou-desu!
    • The Website of the Dead
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2013, 10:38:46 pm »
Finished the movie and the ending kinda blows. Won't spoil anything for those who haven't saw the whole thing. The sound effects could have been a lot louder when Sonic destroys a robot or at least him landing on the ground. It's a decent fan film, but I kinda wished they've focused more on the game series than combining different continuities.

www.thewebsiteofthedead.com ~ The House of the Dead Unofficial fan site

Offline SpeedyBlueDude

• Total Meseta: 3
  • Per Audacia Ad Astra
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2013, 05:21:39 pm »
The model for Sonic is just 'what' worthy.

The actual CGI, was pretty good for fan-made. I also liked Eggman personally, looked like the actor portraying him was actually having fun. Totally made it for me.

The story wasn't very good (but I didn't have any standards really, was fan made.)

All in all, it wasn't bad.

Offline sreal67

• Total Meseta: 0
    • Jocuri cu sonic
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2013, 05:11:25 pm »
... is currently being uploaded to YouTube. I'll admit, I wrote it off as looking like shit (based on the poster, trailers, music(. I mean, yes it has some production values, but it really is too far removed from what Sonic is to me. The CG looks bad, Sonic's model is creepy, the whole thing reeks of American/Western perceptions of the series. Especially those who are die hard Sonic the Hedgehog Saturday morning cartoon fans. Dark and gloomy music and visuals, big bad Robotnik. Eh...

Well, here is the link that'll go live once it's uploaded:

[youtube]http://youtu.be/JtCtQpclpY8[/youtube]

Check it out, share your thoughts.

Love this movie, it was very nice..president Bushnell also:))
play a diversity of sonic games, very often new games with our loving charachter Sonic the Hedgehog, here at  jocuri cu sonic, hope you'll have a great time:)