Author Topic: Sumo D hints at future Sega games  (Read 14388 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sumo D hints at future Sega games
« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 04:51:15 pm »
A game like Powerstone wouldnt be that hard to make at all...

It only had about, what, 10 moves per character? + 2 super moves...If that.
I understand that you would rather have a 'serious' racer or a 'serious' fighter. But for a genre that is pretty full, Sega All-Stars Racing was a pretty damn great game... Very fun, very playable and honestly I enjoyed it more then Mario Kart which I play a lot. It felt like a mix between Mario Kart, Outrun 2 and F-Zero GX. If you ask me that is a pretty good game.

So they have gained my trust until proven otherwise.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Stylista

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 05:24:15 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
But for a genre that is pretty full, Sega All-Stars Racing was a pretty damn great game... Very fun, very playable and honestly I enjoyed it more then Mario Kart which I play a lot. It felt like a mix between Mario Kart, Outrun 2 and F-Zero GX. If you ask me that is a pretty good game.

Why didn't it sell better? Underpromotion?

[size=150]SEGA DIGITALISTA[/size][/color]

Giant corporations. . . The assassin\'s underworld has become a commodity. A chance for profit AND entertainment for the masses. But shadows from the wilder days still linger. . .

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
« Reply #32 on: September 30, 2010, 05:45:51 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Stylista"
But for a genre that is pretty full, Sega All-Stars Racing was a pretty damn great game... Very fun, very playable and honestly I enjoyed it more then Mario Kart which I play a lot. It felt like a mix between Mario Kart, Outrun 2 and F-Zero GX. If you ask me that is a pretty good game.

Maybe, or people were being silly and didn't want to get it because "Sonic is driving a car!!!"  :roll:
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #33 on: September 30, 2010, 07:18:55 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Stylista"

I didn't hear that it did but if it did I suspect Sega had a too high target... Because I'm pretty sure it sold pretty damn well and has some very long legs.
Made by SEGA

Offline Grant360

• Total Meseta: 2
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2010, 05:59:45 am »
According to vgchartz it has done around 1.2 million copies. With the 360 version doing just 0.22 million! Considering that version was HD with Banjo-Kazooie and avatar racing thats a diasppointment. But total copies isn't bad. When you consider that all bias aside I think this game is on a par to the 25 million selling Mario Kart Wii and had a potential install base of over 100 million being a multiplatform game it is a disappointment.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2010, 06:39:50 am »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
Even a 'party' fighter like Smash or Powerstone would be difficult. They could make something that plays like rubbish filled with fan favourites, but do we really want or need a brain-dead button masher filled with Sonic Characters?
Too late.

I'd still love to see a SEGA take on Power Stone 2, for sure. ^__^ But I guess if it were like Brawl, that wouldn't be so bad, either.

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2010, 01:50:40 pm »
According to a MCV article. SEGA All-Stars Racing did good for SEGA and they are going to re-promote it along with Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympic Games this Holiday season.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2010, 01:56:58 pm »
It would be awesome if they released a simple DLC pack (for free maybe?) that decked out the Billy Hatcher blizzard castle tracks in Holiday decor. Maybe include a free DLC code in copies of the game?

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2010, 07:37:51 am »
I think 2011, and 2012 should be a clue and oh wait that recent promotion of Wii Mario and Sonic with SASASR should also be one maybe its a foreshadow of things to come.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2010, 09:13:56 am »

If you look at Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing in comparison to something like that, each character had different animations, but the way they moved around the levels was all the same. It takes a much larger variety of animations to have a basic set of characters running around too. Just picking up an item would have to be different for a large amount of the characters, like Ristar would not hold an item and move or use it the same way as a similar proportioned character like AiAi would.

The Sunshine Engine is also notoriously poor at collision detection. It is easy to get away with this in a tennis game or a racer, but a fighting game is literally all collision detection.

Honestly just think it is a huge recipe for disaster if they were to attempt this. I cannot imagine it taking off anywhere as much as something like another racer would either, almost all beat em up games do not do very well at all anymore.

Offline Dr. SEGA Monkey

« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2010, 10:04:13 am »
I want Sumo Digital to make a spin-off OutRun game. Like how there were OutRun games in the past that weren't direct sequels.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2010, 08:31:38 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"

If you look at Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing in comparison to something like that, each character had different animations, but the way they moved around the levels was all the same. It takes a much larger variety of animations to have a basic set of characters running around too. Just picking up an item would have to be different for a large amount of the characters, like Ristar would not hold an item and move or use it the same way as a similar proportioned character like AiAi would.

The Sunshine Engine is also notoriously poor at collision detection. It is easy to get away with this in a tennis game or a racer, but a fighting game is literally all collision detection.

Honestly just think it is a huge recipe for disaster if they were to attempt this. I cannot imagine it taking off anywhere as much as something like another racer would either, almost all beat em up games do not do very well at all anymore.

Thanks for summing up part of what I was going to say. I think Sharky is underestimating how difficult it would be to make a decent fighter, even a 'party' brawler like Smash of Powerstone. Sure they could make something where everyone shares the same moveset, animations and is just general junk, but would anyone be happy with that? I don't think so.

Even Power Stone was made by Capcom, arguably the most proficient and experienced fighter-maker in history. I'm sure it could be done by Sumo, but I don't think the results would be very good at the end of the day. They should stick to something simpler and more suited to their size/budget constraints.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2010, 06:23:47 am »
Not really, since Sumo in most of their sega games had some pointers from AM2. But the main reason why they got tAM2's respect and help was down to how good they ported the original OR 2 for xbox, So a fighter wouldn't be diffulcult for them to do if they were making one which i doubt.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #43 on: October 04, 2010, 07:50:33 am »
I think a Sonic & SEGA All-Star Fighters game could be done if made as a joint effort of AM2 and Sumo.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #44 on: October 04, 2010, 03:19:08 pm »
If it was a join-effort, with AM2 doing most of the work, I could see something good coming out, but just 'taking pointers' I don't think would make a big difference. It might, but I'm skeptical.

Considering how casual friendly their last two games were, I couldn't imagine how broken and unbalanced a fighter would be. Sometimes that doesn't matter to casual play, but at the same time, we don't want something that's not even fun.