Author Topic: Bulletstorm is amazing, is everything Vanquish wanted to be  (Read 8494 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Bulletstorm is amazing, is everything Vanquish wanted to be
« on: January 27, 2011, 04:56:41 pm »
I never cared about Bulletstorm, pretty much because I never really liked Epic Games' releases. I have gotten to like Gears of War over the years, but I was never into Unreal games or titles like Jazz Jackrabbit.

Then I played the demo of Bulletstorm.

To say the least, from what I have played it could easily be one of the best games this year already. Maybe one of the best FPS' this generation even.

I will get it out of the way right now, the characters and probably the story of this game are just awful. The comedy is pretty awful too, but I could see it appealing to some others. Just like Vanquish, no one is going to go away from this game wanting cameos in other titles or anything like that, they just will not.

But onto the gameplay... It is everything Vanquish attempted and achieved in some senses, but also what it did not do, such as interesting weapons and the player's ability to choose how they want to play.

I am not sure what to even say about the gameplay. Play the demo. Right now.

Here is a video to give you an idea of how it works, but it is possible to do way other things as well. Again, try it out.

[youtube:m98139xa]GveiaEMADvs[/youtube:m98139xa]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
Re: Bulletstorm is amazing, is everything Vanquish wanted to be
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »
You didn't understand Vanquish. It was nothing like Bulletstorm. That is trying to be a FPS version of MadWorld. Wrong comparison. You should play more Vanquish and less demo.

That being said, disappointed on the types of kills you can do in the game. I thought it would have had more. It is OK at best for me, at least the demo.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2011, 06:06:20 pm »
Less demo? I beat Vanquish and am half way through the second playthrough on hard and got a ton of the achievements. More than most of the people on this forum, actually.

I am not sure what you mean by I do not understand Vanquish, my point is that this is basically what SEGA and PlatinumGames expected out of Vanquish, instead it was a fairly odd product that sold bad.

It also lets the player choose how they want to play, you do not need to kill everyone stylishly if you want to in Bulletstorm. It is possible to play the game like Call of Duty, something Vanquish claimed it would let you do, but did not live up to.

I think it is you who do not understand Bulletstorm (HOWS THAT FOR A COMBACK?!) because people are still finding new ways to kill in the demo, and much of the rest of the game has entirely different settings.

Offline George

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2011, 06:21:41 pm »
... Vanquish was not about stylishly 'destroying' enemies in brutal ways like shooting them in the asshole. I think you are talking 'more like madworld' which was, IMO, better than this on style/more ways to kill enemies alone.

BulletStorm isn't anything special IMO and didn't deliver on past games like this. i have played this game before, if it came out 3 years ago, before I played The Club, MadWorld, I would have been more impressed. Only dudebros will be lining up for this, to get their Gears 3 betas.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2011, 06:54:03 pm »
I am talking about a general score-attack game that actually works. That is what Vanquish wanted to be, but it only works as a score attack game, you cannot play it like a normal game, you HAVE to play it a specific way. The same can be said for The Club and MADWORLD, you have to play those specific ways, but are really good fun if you do them (less so with MADWORLD).

As an example. If you get cornered in Vanquish, it is very likely you will die. You cannot punch, you cannot boost, rolling is an option but will not help much either. In this you can slide into or away from the enemies, kick them all out of the way, pull something or yourself around with the leash, use a weapon's charged attack to cause an explosion or start a fire, among other things. And it has multiplayer functions, something most people complained about Vanquish.

You missed the point of the game and my previous comments I guess.

Offline George

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2011, 08:46:48 pm »
I disagree with everything you said. I found nothing about Bulletstorm to be fun. I reminded me of 'HEY 'MEMBER DEM SCORE GAMES FROM SEGA? WE CAN TAKE THE UGLY GEARS LOOK AND APPLY IT TO THEM'

I did not miss the game, I just played a game that wasn't enjoyable. I found Vanquish's score system to be more fun, rather than the tedious (and rather stupid) one employed by Bulletstorm.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2011, 01:58:30 am »
I watched a bit of the video, it looks really fun. Downloadin' the demo now, thanks for the heads up Snaus.

Also George seems to hate it, it musn't be a PS3 exclusive or anything.
(Joking, thanks for the second opinion)

Offline George

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2011, 02:34:26 am »
Not that I hate it. Just not special, kill moves are pretty fucking stupid "Shoot them in the ass HAR HAR". I'm not a retarded frat boy. That is all, it basically reminds me of a FPS version of MadWorld without the great style.

The point I made was that Vanquish is nothing and isn't trying to accomplish what Bulletstorm is doing. I don't see the connection outside of 'being score base'. That is like saying Mario accomplished something Sonic will never do..

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2011, 04:02:27 am »
Well as Sharky said, Sonic is just a Blue Mario anyway, so...

In any event, I can kinda see some correlation between Vanquish and Bulletstorm, but eh, they look different enough to both hold a place on my shelf. I downloaded the demo, but i'll play it when I get back later tonight. WILL BE BACK WITH IMPRESSIONS.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2011, 05:32:23 am »
I am kind of surprised George is reacting so poorly to the game. I did not really think it looked that much like Gears outside of some of the characters.

It is not all about the score attacking though, I like how you can just play it like a normal game a lot, kind of has a classic Sonic mentality, where you could speedrun and bounce on all of the badniks, but it was possible to just go through the levels slowly and explore too if you want.

On the Bulletstorm at Vanquish comments, I meant that the style is sort of what Vanquish tried but did not do entirely right, like appealing to more audiences, which I think this will. The story, characters, music, even the menu design is pretty damn similar to Vanquish I think, and Epic Games' people have said they really loved Bayonetta, so I assume they are aware of Vanquish.

As for the humor, it is kind of growing on me. I love how mindless the enemies are, it is like I am fighting everyone who is over level 60 on Gears of War 2.

Offline George

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2011, 06:13:51 am »
I don't know. I was excited for Bulletstorm, hoping to see awesome ways to execute enemies. The demo didn't deliver for me.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2011, 09:05:20 am »
I think Id be a lot more interested if it wasnt about making stylish kills, didnt have all those catch phrases every few seconds and didnt have words popping up all over the screen.

As in, make it a normal FPS and we'll talk.

p.s Nothing like Vanquish.

p.p.s Mario is just a Red Sonic.
Made by SEGA

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2011, 07:31:33 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I think Id be a lot more interested if it wasnt about making stylish kills, didnt have all those catch phrases every few seconds and didnt have words popping up all over the screen.

I think I would really enjoy driving my microwave oven if it had four wheels, air-conditioning, an internal combustion engine and had an AM-FM radio instead of the oven bit.

As in, make it a motor-car and we'll talk.

In any event, I played the demo just now and it's pretty fun. It's a bit overwhelming at first trying to get a hang of all the controls, but it looks like it has a lot of potential to get really cool later on.

Offline STORM!

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2011, 06:33:17 pm »
How can you compare a FPS with Vanquish?

I bet they don't have the skills to make a third person shooter as good as Vanquish is.

FPS sux a lot! I hate it ;p

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 05:42:10 am »
Quote from: "Sharky"

Try looking in the options menu.

I am confused why people think I am saying it is the same thing as Vanquish. My point is that this is what Vanquish wanted to be.

Also, I noticed if you hold the slide button when in mud you can keep going, there is also alcohol and some other items hidden around the level. When you drink it, it is hard to aim but you get a combo booster. The "Firecracker" weapon boost can cover the floor if you hit the ceiling and it causes everyone to run around and panic. It is possible to beat almost every section of the game without actually killing people, and and and... I am not sure what George was saying, I keep finding new stuff!

Dammit, this game is amazing. AMAZING! SON OF A DICK! EA is on a roll man, I never liked many FPSs, but both this and Crysis 2 really impressed me more than I would have ever expected, and Dead Space 2 is an extremely well designed game, but it is not my thing. All of these within the same month practically? WTF

PS. Link is an green Crash Bandicoot.