Author Topic: Now that Sega is splashing the cash around...  (Read 22242 times)

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
Re: Now that Sega is splashing the cash around...
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2013, 09:47:05 am »
No, it's not just being upscaled. The original textures are in fact high resolution. And as for your other point, while Shenmue is realistic in certain ways, its art direction is certainly stylized, as every single texture is painted. That's one of the reasons why its appearance is significantly less dated-looking than its GTA contemporaries.

Offline Nathan

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2013, 01:17:37 pm »
That dream team was people who made console ports of AM2's Arcade games, it does not exist to the extent it did back then.

I realize this. Obviously, I don't think there is a fan alive that would only play the game if every single person involved with the first two were involved. I just want Suzuki and a good team behind him, no matter who that is. And the composers.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #62 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:32 am »
The original textures are in fact high resolution.

No they aren't . Fact is one of the aera's where Shenmue looks rather poor these days is the low res textures that and the DC rather primitive lighting effects . Like a lot of DC game they might have looked great at the time, but when you go back and play them they have dated a lot

That's one of the reasons why its appearance is significantly less dated-looking than its GTA contemporaries.

No its just that it was a really well made impressive game and game engine , but dated it is . Silent Hill 3 still looks good , but it's dated ,  RE 4 looks nice, but well dated to the graphics of this gen same for Half Life 2 which like Shenmue really went to town on detail and trying to make a living breathing world, but is now dated to what modern FPS engines can do   

Shenmue is realistic in certain ways, its art direction is certainly stylized

Shenmue graphics were made to simulate the real world and all games will be stylized in some way or another
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Centrale

• Total Meseta: 61
« Reply #63 on: October 09, 2013, 10:59:05 am »
Shenmue graphics were made to simulate the real world and all games will be stylized in some way or another

You've really lost the plot now! Just kidding, that would be a ROJM response. But I'm sorry, if you can't see that every single texture in Shenmue is a painting, and that the game's art direction is to resemble a painting, then I can't help you any further. You want Shenmue III to look like Battlefield or something, just for bragging rights? Forget it. I suppose you think Valkyria Chronicles would look better in Unreal Engine?

As for the textures, I'm not saying that every texture, or even most textures are high resolution. But some of them really are. It's not a result of upscaling, either. Their native resolution is just high, comparable to (and sometimes better than) the small details you'll see up close in something like GTA. Mostly decorative items, like items in shops, posters on walls, etc. -- small details, but it's the details that help make the world come alive. In any case, the original point is that some of the work, not all of it or most of it, is already of acceptable high quality, and that's a testament to how forward-thinking Suzuki and co. were in the time of developing Shenmue.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #64 on: October 11, 2013, 05:27:20 am »
But I'm sorry, if you can't see that every single texture in Shenmue is a painting, and that the game's art direction is to resemble a painting, then I can't help you any further. You want Shenmue III to look like Battlefield or something, just for bragging rights? Forget it. I suppose you think Valkyria Chronicles would look better in Unreal Engine?

If Shenmue wanyed to look like a painting then it would have looked far more like Skies of Arcadia, or  Chronicles and you make a very silly point with the Unreal Engine play the likes of Mirror Edge or Borderlands, Bioshock for games that have their own look 'stylized' arty look, hell even Guilty Gear Xrd uses Unreal and that's looks like a painting in screen shots.

As for the textures, I'm not saying that every texture, or even most textures are high resolution. But some of them really are. It's not a result of upscaling, either. Their native resolution is just high, comparable to (and sometimes better than) the small details you'll see up close in something like GTA.

No they're all look low res and dated . Just look at the detail on the characters you posted . Details like buttons on the clothing or even the detail on the human ear are just simple shading and texture maps - not built up with polygons or using Parallax/Bump mapping to give detail  and true debth. Compare to the humans and worlds we see in the likes of Uncharated 2, Half Life 2, Assassin's creed 2, Heavy Rain, LA Noire its miles off

Point is the game was made with late 90's tech and CRT screen res in mind .Almost everything would need to be re done given the Artists will have so many more polygons and effects to play with . People like might say that's easy, but bare one thing in mind.... It Took AM#2 some 2 years to make Shenmue 2 on the DC, that's after the engine being done (with part 1) and the game only talking the series up to where they got too with Saturn development . So sorry no Shenmue 3 will be easy or quick to make and unless Shenmue 3 has graphics equal too or better than anything else around (just like Shenmue on the DC) then people will say its not a true Shenmue game, not keeping the spirt of the game and its being done on the cheap

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure