Author Topic: Ryu Ga Gotoku of the END ( Demo Impressions )  (Read 20261 times)

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Re: Ryu Ga Gotoku of the END ( Demo Impressions )
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2011, 01:19:18 pm »
I am kind of surprised by Sharky's reactions. The mechanics are dated, but I always assumed people who are into the series strongly enjoy it because it is designed to feel like old style beat em ups. This is designed like an old school shoot em up with some beat em up elements, it is not supposed to be a third person shooter. If it were, imagine how boring it would be with Goda, or how hard it would be with Kiryu. Aiming and shooting is really meant for using heat snipes, not really constant headshots.

I think the camera is very poor though. Holding R1 should redirect the camera behind you no matter what I think.

The aiming is also fairly imprecise and the controls for it are kind of twitchy, but I think you may be able to upgrade yourself later on.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Suzuki Yu

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I am kind of surprised by Sharky's reactions. The mechanics are dated, but I always assumed people who are into the series strongly enjoy it because it is designed to feel like old style beat em ups. This is designed like an old school shoot em up with some beat em up elements, it is not supposed to be a third person shooter. If it were, imagine how boring it would be with Goda, or how hard it would be with Kiryu. Aiming and shooting is really meant for using heat snipes, not really constant headshots.

Exactly.
i am quite surprised at some people expectations. this series was always meant to be enjoyable and easy to pick up and play whether you are hardcore or casual player. and it's system always feels Arcady and old school.
yes the tech of the game is outdated and this is not new, it was outdated since KENZAN till now because they are not giving the team the needed time to make a new engine from the ground up. just some new enhancements here and there.  

all i can hope for right now is wait to see Binary Domain's gameplay footage to see if there is any improvements at all tech wise, specially Animations side which is in my opinion the most lacking part in RGG's Engine. and in the light of what they will achieve in Binary Domain it will definitely be for RGG's benefit as well in the future .

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2011, 06:29:33 pm »
If Yakuza Of The End's zombies are a rip-off of Left 4 Dead's minions, then Capcom would like to have a word with Valve in private.

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 09:44:45 pm »
Quote from: "Suzuki Yu"
i am quite surprised at some people expectations. this series was always meant to be enjoyable and easy to pick up and play whether you are hardcore or casual player.

This has nothing to do with it playing like a 1st gen ps2 game.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2011, 05:07:50 am »
i am quite surprised at some people expectations. this series was always meant to be enjoyable and easy to pick up and play whether you are hardcore or casual player. and it's system always feels Arcady and old school.

9 Out of 10 games are really easy to pick and play, so I don't get that point (if we're talking controls and getting into the game)

My impression of the demo is its very disappointing, in that it plays and feels like a special bonus mission for completing a game, rather than full price retail game . Its a bit shocking tbh, in that it's more outdated than the likes Dead Rising or Outbreak

all i can hope for right now is wait to see Binary Domain's gameplay footage to see if there is any improvements at all tech wise, specially Animations side which is in my opinion the most lacking part in RGG's Engine. and in the light of what they will achieve in Binary Domain it will definitely be for RGG's benefit as well in the future .

Well don't hold your breath, it's the same engine made by the same Team . It's clear as day the Team need new Tech and a 2 to year 3 development period. I've said all along yearly sequels are a sure fine way to kill innovation, kill a series (non sporting) and break the Team.

And don't say its a Spin off, that's a bit of a Cop Out, Sonic Heroes didn't have a number in its title, everyone saw it as Sonic Sequel, same goes for Shining Games or even Panzer Dragoon Saga.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2011, 07:40:13 am »
Quote from: "Team Andromeda"

9 Out of 10 games are really easy to pick and play, so I don't get that point (if we're talking controls and getting into the game)
other than control and getting into the game , the game actually is easy and can be played by anyone even for those who don't have much interest in gaming, it's created to be like that.  

Well don't hold your breath, it's the same engine made by the same Team . It's clear as day the Team need new Tech and a 2 to year 3 development period. I've said all along yearly sequels are a sure fine way to kill innovation, kill a series (non sporting) and break the Team.

well Binary Domain is a multi-year development title.
that's why i believe they should be able now to do something much better idea/Tech wise.
the teaser we saw earlier is nothing but a teaser. it's bad i know but again it's a teaser. maybe everything we saw is not even in the game itself or it's not going to be like this in the final product.  
but if the gameplay footage visuals quality match the cut-scene we saw , then i think it's an improvement in many different areas like animation , modeling , shadow/lights etc.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2011, 09:55:15 am »
other than control and getting into the game , the game actually is easy and can be played by anyone even for those who don't have much interest in gaming, it's created to be like that.

Again that is the case for many games made today. Anyone with basic gaming skills can pick and play the likes of COD, GOW, HALO and what not .

well Binary Domain is a multi-year development title

And you really believe that the team have been working on this for 4 odd years ?. Most of the time, it's all hands to the deck to make sure Yakuza makes it out.

but if the gameplay footage visuals quality match the cut-scene we saw , then i think it's an improvement in many different areas like animation , modelling , shadow/lights etc
It looks to be using the Yakuza engine, which is great in the cut-scenes, vastly outdated In-Game up against Gears and rather embarrassingly Vanquished.

I mean the Lego games look more impressive In-game on the PS3.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #37 on: March 06, 2011, 11:28:24 am »

Again that is the case for many games made today. Anyone with basic gaming skills can pick and play the likes of COD, GOW, HALO and what not .

games like Gears of War & HALO created focusing on hardcore players. the system for those games tend to be deep and give more challenges for pro-players. while RGG games never been like this, so "of the end".

again "of the END" is so close to the concept that have been used in L4D except it's not 4 players support, and i think it did a better job than what L4D tried to present.

And you really believe that the team have been working on this for 4 odd years ?. Most of the time, it's all hands to the deck to make sure Yakuza makes it out.

i don't know how many years, but certainly it takes them far more time than any project since RGG1, and yet probably there is a full year ahead before it's release.

but if the gameplay footage visuals quality match the cut-scene we saw , then i think it's an improvement in many different areas like animation , modelling , shadow/lights etc
It looks to be using the Yakuza engine, which is great in the cut-scenes, vastly outdated In-Game up against Gears and rather embarrassingly Vanquished.

i don't know but to me it looks like the cut-scenes in BD using the in-gameplay engine in it's full capabilities not like in Yakuza games. it felt somehow different.
that's why i will just wait to see some gameplay footage before jumping to conclusion.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #38 on: March 06, 2011, 01:33:39 pm »

Don't forget the team has to regularly piss out a Monkey Ball game as well.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2011, 12:03:50 pm »
games like Gears of War & HALO created focusing on hardcore players. the system for those games tend to be deep and give more challenges for pro-players. while RGG games never been like this, so "of the end"

We need to play the full game 1st . And Yakuza games have not really been made to appeal to the casual gamer imo

again "of the END" is so close to the concept that have been used in L4D except it's not 4 players support, and i think it did a better job than what L4D tried to present

I think L4D to be utter crap, this is better that much is for sure. But it feels like a Bonus extra Capcom would put in for completing the like of RE3, rather than a full price retail game

but certainly it takes them far more time than any project since RGG1

I bet there's been little actual work done on the game through those years. The team are simply too busy with easy Yakuza update for that.

i don't know but to me it looks like the cut-scenes in BD using the in-gameplay engine in it's full capabilities not like in Yakuza games

We've seen nothing from the gameplay engine yet.

Yes another game that's been milked far too much . Moneyball on the new 3DS looks far worse than the GFX found in MB II. How on earth is that possible ???
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2011, 04:01:20 pm »

I think it is aimed more at people who are just tired of third and first person shooters. I have seen people who prefer how you shoot in Jak and Daxter or even Shadow's game, but the choices are pretty slim.

Also, we he been playing for years and years, but some newcomers have a hard time wrapping their head around using two sticks at the same time. I remember when I started playing games with 3D cameras it just all went over my head, so I stuck to basic 3D games for awhile, like Crash Bandicoot.

Oh come on now, that is a bit much. LEGO games do not have anywhere close to the great amount of detail the Yakuza games have had. I dare say some of the indoor sections of the PlayStation 3 releases are damn near close to photo realistic even.

Quote from: "cube_b3"

It is not the same team anymore. It is Nagoshi's series, but he does not have much say in it anymore.

Although I think the arcade Super Monkey Ball Ticket Blitz looks to be the best in the series in a very long time. Both gameplay wise and graphically.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2011, 01:39:03 am »
Also, we he been playing for years and years, but some newcomers have a hard time wrapping their head around using two sticks at the same time. I remember when I started playing games with 3D cameras it just all went over my head, so I stuck to basic 3D games for awhile, like Crash Bandicoot.

New comers ? I tell you what even season gamers have trouble with Yakuza of the End controls . And I don't buy people having trouble with dual controls at all, it is what hurt the PSP and the DC when it came to a lot of games.

Oh come on now, that is a bit much. LEGO games do not have anywhere close to the great amount of detail the Yakuza games have had

The Lego games in terms of Shaders  (self shadow ) and textures look better In-Game. Yakuza may look incredible with the Cut scenes, but seriously goes down hill In-Game. The Tech was never that impresssive with Kenzan and it's been improved little since.

It is Nagoshi's series, but he does not have much say in it anymore.
He still produces it, mind you his name is in every SEGA game these days (Far worse than Naka).

I'll not blame Nagoshi, but the SEGA board for the overuse and cheap cash-ins with Monkeyball IP,and the tech behind the last few MB games and even the new one, is laughably poor. Monkeball II look quite brilliant and still looks better than any MB game ever since and even the new 3DS game , but worse than that is the last few MB games just seemed to have lostt the charm and brilliant gameplay from the 1st Two games
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Suzuki Yu

« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2011, 06:38:08 am »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Although I think the arcade Super Monkey Ball Ticket Blitz looks to be the best in the series in a very long time. Both gameplay wise and graphically.

yeah i just saw a video

[youtube:2oi7ughu]txHQUpn7pD0[/youtube:2oi7ughu]

it looks beautiful and fun!
here is hoping for Kinect port which i think likely

and the tech behind the last few MB games and even the new one, is laughably poor. Monkeball II look quite brilliant and still looks better than any MB game ever since and even the new 3DS game

i don't agree, BB looks better than any other SMB game and now Ticket Blitz seems to take over

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2011, 01:33:22 pm »
A skill based ticket machine? I don't think I've seen that before.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2011, 02:17:59 pm »
I've played a few skill based ticket machines at Dave & Busters. There was this rather fun puzzle game sort of like columns and Puzzle Bobble that gave out tickets and coupons that you redeem for the big prizes (like crappy CD players).

The graphics look really great for this though! Would love to see a Kinect Monkey Ball, rolling your hands in the air or using leaning at the waist. Either would work well.