Author Topic: Sonic Generations General Discussion  (Read 191263 times)

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
Re: Sonic Generations General Discussion
« Reply #180 on: August 17, 2011, 06:48:00 am »

So Awsome.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #181 on: August 17, 2011, 08:14:35 am »
I'll take that and raise you:

Offline Trippled

« Reply #182 on: August 17, 2011, 08:48:41 am »
Pretty Standard I think, to me the Spagonia picture is just so technically impressive...like one of the most impressive I've seen in this Generation period...and it all goes by so quickly!

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #183 on: August 17, 2011, 08:59:37 am »
You guys thought crisis city was a good idea?  Sonic battling fire demons in a post apocalyptic setting?  I mean whatever floats your boat and all that but it sounds pretty rank to me.  Like something a 13 year old would come up with.

As opposed to having a Blue Hedgehog standing on his hind legs, being able to go through the sound barrier and having a girlfriend and a Fox as best chum ? . I think the Sonic games have always used fiction to great effect and never really had a problem with battling Chaos in apocalyptic flooded Earth in Sonic Adv or running on the back of Dinosaur in Secret Rings

Baring the Piss poor controls, dreadful snowboarding start; Crisis City was a level that could have had a lot potential, like a few of the stages in Sonic 06.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline max_cady

« Reply #184 on: August 17, 2011, 10:12:18 am »
Well, Rooftop Run must've been pretty easy to develop for this game, I mean, they must've used a lot of the same ingame assests for the 3D Sonic playstyle. Though hopefully they improved upon it.
I liked that stage in SU, but... It had some cheap deaths especially with the railing sections.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #185 on: August 17, 2011, 10:14:06 am »
Has railing switching changed from Unleashed? Is it still the bumpers or do you move the stick left and right for a tiny leap?

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #186 on: August 17, 2011, 01:35:48 pm »
I wrote a short story which is relivent to this discussion. I was inspired by comments on the front page of SB;

Imagine if you will, it's Christmas morning... The young child of the house bounds down stairs to see if Father Christmas has come this year, he/she find the Christmas try laden with presents! Excitement! the parents drag themselves out of bed at 6AM on their day off to watch the kid excitedly ripping into his presents.

The child gets a number of nice things; new toys, videogames, books, Dune on dvd... A fantastic haul by anyone’s standards but what he/she was really hoping for, the present which he/she had spent the past 6 months pestering their parents for is absent... But what's this, the parents were hiding a gift behind the couch, a final hurrah. It's big and when you shake it it sounds just like a laptop! The child wastes no time ripping into the present.

It is! It's a lap top... It's go everything, the latest graphics card, Wifi, 3G, huge screen. It is everything anyone could have asked for in a laptop...

BUT WAIT, It's green and not black? When the keys are pressed they don't make the same clicking sound as his mothers old lap top and to top it off the on off switch is PINK! Oh my god, this is a fucking disaster... Who the fuck would want this piece of shit?! Christmas is fucking ruined, the kid spends the rest of the day crying and playing with the box it came in.

Spoilt little shit right? Stay classic Sonic fans!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:39:05 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #187 on: August 17, 2011, 01:53:33 pm »
Or maybe its really down to a lack of creative vision. its funny that Sonic's appearence in Super smash brothers seemed to capture the entire essence of what the character is all about but the Naka led Sonic adventure series up to 2006 and the aftermath games up to this point has absolutly failed to capture it be it in character and gameplay. SG is a good idea but if the ability isn't within any of the developers creating it we could still be left with a good idea but missing certain elements that make the MD series the classic it is. Just bringing the classic Sonic stuff isn't enough unless they "get" the issues on what has been missing from Sonic in the last decade.
A lot of sonic fans get sold quick by the visuals alone. So far these latest screens are the best, but I remain cautious as I know the gameplay will not be on par with the visuals.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #188 on: August 17, 2011, 02:20:34 pm »
Is that right crazy tails? You don't think the gameplay will be all that good? I hadn't heards! =3

Anyway... I can raise both of you.

Hydrocity throwback:

Flying Battery Zone airship:

Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #189 on: August 17, 2011, 02:39:32 pm »
Cool screens! It does look a bit like Flying Battery and Wing Fortress. :D

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #190 on: August 17, 2011, 02:45:40 pm »
Is that right crazy tails? You don't think the gameplay will be all that good? I hadn't heards! =3

Hydrocity throwback:
*Pic of seaside

*Pic of rooftop

Raise in what way? That Flying battery screen could have a lot of potential if let's say, another act actually ended up on the ship with the Flying battery music. But I doubt it will.

They certainly know their stuff, that's for sure. But all you be showing is another visual aspect, not improved gameplay. We all know the latter won't happen because that would take 10 years of beta testing.

I think we can agree that the way they implemented elements from other stages is awesome even though I would prefer it if they picked other stages to be the main themes. But the gameplay is gonna hold it back no matter what. The trailer makes it more clear than the eyecandy looking images.

It almost got me, but i'm not falling for it, yet.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:53:26 pm by CrazyTails »

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #191 on: August 17, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »
Can't wait to see what will happen with Speed Highway.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #192 on: August 17, 2011, 03:20:34 pm »
"Raise what"
I was talking to Barry.

Crazy Tails, point me in the direction of a fan made Sonic game which is better than this.
Made by SEGA

Offline max_cady

« Reply #193 on: August 17, 2011, 03:32:49 pm »

Hydrocity throwback:

This makes me moist.

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #194 on: August 17, 2011, 03:46:30 pm »
"Raise what"
I was talking to Barry.

Crazy Tails, point me in the direction of a fan made Sonic game which is better than this.
What do fangames have to do any of this? I just have to point out at sonicteam's previous work and what SEGA stands for as abroad.

I think the thing with fangames is that they always do get the mechanics right but just don't have the manpower to design many stages. It's like the total opposite of sonicteam where they do make stunning well made stages with not so much putten into the mechanics.

It's not just things they don't get right, it's also the way sonic games seem to be casualized with overpowered moves that annoy me. Balance is a key factor in many games to keep things challenging or we might as well have played an overpowered character in any game. The way they implemented the spindash where it can be used at any moment (probably to compensate with the slowing down rolling) is just a weird decision. Same thing with how the boost move in sonic colors where in it didn't fill up by anything but white wisps. Now it fills up by almost literally everything. The latter doesn't bother me so much as it's how modern sonic's gameplay is set. People love it I guess. The trailer shows beautiful stunning stages, but modern sonic does the exact same things he's done for the last couple of years within different environments.

I keep repeating myself lol. I think we shouldn't make a big issue of what i'm saying. I just really wonder how critics perception will be of this game.