Author Topic: The King of Fighters XIII - Coming to consoles in 2011!  (Read 18843 times)

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
The King of Fighters XIII - Coming to consoles in 2011!
« on: March 30, 2010, 04:29:52 am »

The game was just announced last Thursday, and from what we've seen so far looks like it's going to be brilliant. They've addressed all the problems that people had with the last game, and this really does look like what a KOF Re-Birth should be.

STORYLINE

The event had a trailer which revealed that the storyline will continue in this game, meaning that the 'Ash Saga' should come to an end. Not much else is known, but it did have a funky little intro/trailer showing 'The Ones from the Past'

ROSTER
New
Three new characters were revealed at the event, Mai, King and Yuri, to form the original Women's Fighter Team!

In-Game Sprites
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... ra/mai.swf
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... a/yuri.swf
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... a/king.swf

There are still new characters that haven't been revealed yet, but there is some speculation based on Junk Data found in the KOFXII disc and the team break down.

Full Roster

Team Japan
Kyo Kusanagi
Benimaru Nikaido
Goro Daimon

Fatal Fury Team
Terry Bogard
Andy Bogard
Joe Hibiki

Art of Fighting Team
Ryo Sakazaki
Robert Garcia
??? (Takuma?)

Team Iori/Orochi Team
Iori Yagami
Mature
??? (Vice?)

Hero Team
Elizabeth Blanchatore
Duo-Lon
Shen Woo

Fatal Fury Rivals/Team Kim
Kim Kaphwan
Raiden
??? (Hwa Jai?)

Women's Team
Mai Shiranui
King
Yuri

Mystery Team
??? (K'?)
??? (Kula Diamond?)
??? (Maxima?)

Psycho Soldiers
Athena
Sie Kensou
Chin

Ikari Warriors
Ralph
Clark
Leona

Single Entry
Ash

GAMEPLAY/ENGINE

The game will feature lots of new moves for existing characters and has also undergone a complete overhaul from KOFXII. Most notable is the zoom in/out feature has been scrapped and the Custom Combo system is also gone. The game plays more like classic KOF games now, particularly 2002 from what i've heard.

Confirmed new moves include: Terry's Buster Wolf, Mature's moves (Death Row, Ebony Tears, Nocturnal Light), Raiden's Crazy Train.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpwl6krWQAo
[youtube:2odi7o9g]Fpwl6krWQAo[/youtube:2odi7o9g]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_-vl8c8xqM
[youtube:2odi7o9g]E_-vl8c8xqM[/youtube:2odi7o9g]
There are tons of videos online now from the past few days' location tests, make sure to check some out!

Here is a more comprehensive list of changes to the game/characters etc:
SYSTEM
- All KOFXII systems (CC, sousai, guard attack) have been removed
- Backstep probably can’t be shortened either.
- Throws are back to lever + button motion
- Kara cancels are possible again.

GAME SYSTEM
===========
8- way lever + 4 buttons.

COUNTER HITS
Counter hits have a blue effect when they occur, similar to KOFXII but the effect isn’t the same.
A few counter hit animations are like KOFXII but the window is short, sort of like the interval between dashing and doing a strong attack.

GUARD CRUSH
Guard meter under the lifebar, your guard drops when it becomes empty. However at the current time it seems to recover much faster than it’s lost, so there haven’t been that many guard crushes seen. On top of that it looks like the guard crush window is very tight so it’s very hard to take advantage of it. Wondering if drive attacks will have a bigger effect on the guard meter.

GUARD CANCEL
Revived from older games. Costs 1 power stock. Does damage, but not possible to KO with it.

STUN
This has also returned. However unlike XI there’s no visible stun meter so it’s not possible to know when it’s going to happen.

POWER GAUGES
Return of multiple power stocks. You get one additional stock per team member that you lose (much like earlier games). Feels like they charge up faster than in previous games.

EX SPECIAL MOVES/DESPERATION MOVES
Use 1 stock to do powered up specials or DMs. The powering up depends on the move – might be more damage, invincibility, etc.
EX specials have a blue shadow sort of effect to them while EX DMs are red (versus yellow for regular DMs)

DRIVE GAUGE
Green gauge above the power gauge. The length increases by 50% every time you lose a character (so that the gauge is twice as long when you’re down to your last character). Fills up at about the same rate as the power gauge, so pretty quickly. However, whiffing special moves will not fill the drive gauge (although it still fills the power gauge).

DRIVE CANCEL
Can be used as soon as the drive gauge passes 50%, which means that on your last character it can be used up to four times.
You can cancel special moves as well as command moves that couldn’t normally be cancelled into other special moves and DMs.

HYPERDRIVE MODE
Press BC when the drive gauge is maxed out to activate. Your character will have a sort of hazy afterglow and will be able to do as many drive cancels as he wants. The gauge doesn’t fall faster if you do a cancel like in ‘02. However if you take any damage the mode ends.

Here are some even more in-depth posts if you are interested:
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php ... ost8604566
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php ... ost8599171
http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php ... ost8608537

MISC. ETC.
Stages
New stages have been added to the game, and they look absolutely brilliant!
Click the Thumbnail for the Full Size

Interactions
There are going to be characters specific/story related interactions before fights, or when certain characters face each other.

Tournaments
A tournament for the game has already been announced for the Super Battle Opera 2010, a Major Fighting game Event/Tournament in Japan.

Official Site
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... index.html

Music
http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... index.html

Click a team to hear their theme. The Art of Fighting theme is a personal favourite! :afroman:

FAQs
Q: Are there any silver, King of Fighters XIII-Branded cups in existence?
A: Yes.

SCREENSHOTS

There are many out there already, but I'll just post a few quick ones.

« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: The King of Fighters XIII
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 10:56:39 am »
I don't like Mai's new sprite, and not because of the jiggling (though that is pretty awful, too).

I just don't like how she's got terrible posture... it hurts my back just looking at it. x__x It's gotta be killing her.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 11:03:27 am »
Yeah! Mai is back!

Though until I try this out, KOF95 is still my favorite of all time.
SEG4GES

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2010, 02:48:08 pm »
I actually like Mai's new pose, it really makes her stand out from the rest better.

Really happy with King and Yuri's return as they are probably my favorites outside of Andy. I could probably list twenty more characters I want though.

And glad to see Ash will not be around much longer, cannot wait to get rid of him.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2010, 05:13:09 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Yeah! Mai is back!

Though until I try this out, KOF95 is still my favorite of all time.

95? I haven't played that one, but so far '98 UM Is my fave, huge and great roster, relatively balanced and has awesome music.

As for Mai, she's usually had a kinda leaning stance, although it is a bit worse in this game than it was previously.

I'm mostly interested in King though, use her a bit in KOF'98 and she looks great in the new style especially.

Anyone listened to the music on the Official Site yet? It sounds really great! They've really pulled out all the stops this time it seems.

I also forgot to mention that each character has 10 different pallette swaps to choose from, there are some pretty funky ones in there, like Robert and Terry having look alikes, King having a Kula look-alike and Benimaru looking like Jax from MK of all things.  :?:

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2010, 05:34:40 pm »
Yeah, the music is really fantastic, reminds me of when SEGA was good.  :roll:

Where do you see the palette swaps though?

Also, look as to how the health bars are broken up, reminds me of the bars from Garou. Any chance we can get some features from that in here??

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2010, 05:49:46 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Yeah, the music is really fantastic, reminds me of when SEGA was good.  :roll:

Where do you see the palette swaps though?

Also, look as to how the health bars are broken up, reminds me of the bars from Garou. Any chance we can get some features from that in here??

In the OP you can see the colour select at the Character Select Screen, but I don't know of anywhere that has a comprehensive list. I got the ones I mentioned from notes and reports from location tests etc. I know each character has ten at least, some are pretty cool ones too.

As for Garou, I don't know of any TOP System like features, but this is just beta form atm, so they might have some new stuff left.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 07:14:03 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"
As for Mai, she's usually had a kinda leaning stance, although it is a bit worse in this game than it was previously.
A "bit" worse? No, it's far worse... the poor woman. I can just imagine the horrific, aching back pain she has to go through. =(

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2010, 07:17:12 pm »
Quote from: "fluffymoochicken"
A "bit" worse? No, it's far worse... the poor woman. I can just imagine the horrific, aching back pain she has to go through. =(

She's a ninja, she'll be fine.

New Vid!

[youtube:3dp53wwy]G5PSa66o7LM[/youtube:3dp53wwy]

Check out Terry Garcia and Fat Venom. Love the way they essentially included alternate attires through clever colour edits.

The guy playing Raiden is a beast in this vid, and we also get to see his new Crazy Train super.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2010, 07:23:11 pm »
She's a ninja
Not for long. She'll be in a wheelchair by the time she's 30 if she keeps up such a terrible, unhealthy posture. Don't you care about her well-being at all? =(

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2010, 07:36:45 pm »
She's a ninja
Not for long. She'll be in a wheelchair by the time she's 30 if she keeps up such a terrible, unhealthy posture. Don't you care about her well-being at all? =(

It is also a cartoon fighting game with fireballs and lightning coming out of characters hands.

[spoiler:212uyqj8]IRL kunoichis would cut off one of their breasts so it would not get in the way of a bow and arrow they may need to use[/spoiler:212uyqj8]

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2010, 07:50:30 pm »
She's a ninja

Not particularly. If she can handle getting repeatedly grabbed by the neck and slammed into the ground by Raiden, she'll be okay.

Anyway, I kinda like the way they made that sprite, after all the 'NO MAI NO BUY' crap that KOFXII recieved it seems like they said "You want boobs? Fine! Here's some super cleavage for you!"

BTW, Raiden has the best block stance ever. He just grins and blocks nothing but his 'nads.

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2010, 08:12:11 pm »
I don't think she'll be able to fight back soon, either. She'll be in too much pain. Then her opponents will be able to deal crippling blows. If you don't speak out against this terrible posture they've given her, then you may as well get her wheelchair ready... =(

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2010, 06:12:39 am »
Apparantly they will be doing an update/discussion on the game every Thursday

http://game.snkplaymore.co.jp/official/ ... iii_1.html

This is about the fight system and EX moves etc, but I can't make hide nor hair out of it with translation programs.

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 11:03:43 pm »