Author Topic: SEGA rips our hearts out: Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive  (Read 64756 times)

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
Re: SEGA rips our hearts out: Bayonetta 2 is a Wii U exclusive
« Reply #165 on: February 13, 2013, 10:23:02 pm »

As someone who plays a lot of VF, I don't think I would really say I play it for the violence. If it were about violence I would play Mortal Kombat or UFC. I play it because it's an exceptionally balanced and fun competitive game that's deep as a well and faster than a Ferrari.

Absolutely! I totally agree. However, it's still a fighting game. Fighting is violent. I love fighting games - I own several - and when I find myself wanting something with a bit more precision that forces me to think more strategically, I'll play Virtua Fighter. If I want button-mashing, X-Men vs Street Fighter. LOL! Still, violence has many levels.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #166 on: February 14, 2013, 06:21:30 am »
Yes it is violent but no one gets killed in a fighting game like VIRTUA FIGHTER but the implication in a game like VIRTUA COP is that people get killed because they are using a gun. Even though the game isn't gory or anything graphic, at the time it was first released, there was no other game like it out there and some of the movements of the enemy sprites were very realistic. Add that to the design of the light guns for this game and parents and all those pressure groups started to single Sega out, not because of its violence but because it was close to real violence or gun crime. Due to how they set the game up and the sprites movements. I personally  feel that it was the fact that Sega was well known at the time and the fact of the whole NIGHT TRAP violence in video games fiasco that bruised a lot of egos and made enemies in the senate against the video game industry. The fact that HOTD 2 for DC ended up getting the same pressure group nonsense when it was released because of Columbine although Sony's gun games remained unscathed indicated that Sega will have this type of problem among american lobby groups in times to come. 
« Last Edit: February 14, 2013, 06:23:50 am by ROJM »

Offline mylifewithsega

• Total Meseta: -65531
  • "Just stick it in your Genesis!"
« Reply #167 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:05 pm »
@ROJM - I think one of the reasons Sony didn't get hit so often over gun violence is because there weren't that many lightgun games available for PlayStation. It did have Time Crisis, yeah, and there were a few titles that made use of the Konami's lightgun. However, Sony tried to play it safe on a few ocassions so as to avoid any controversy, like the North American release of Biohazard Gun Survivor. SEGA wouldn't let up though, which I'll commend them for.
Master-Cast TV: The Four-Mega Web Series!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC74cjduzFdR2ZXCt0bQv_0Q

Offline ROJM

« Reply #168 on: February 18, 2013, 11:47:03 am »
SEGA wouldn't let up though, which I'll commend them for.
That is one thing about them, they never back down from a fight.

Offline Chaosmaster8753

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #169 on: February 18, 2013, 08:29:43 pm »
Thanks, ben and MM.

Basically, the N64 version of Goldeneye 007 has too many legal issues surrounding it which is why it hasn't gotten an official digital release. So, yeah, no comparison so far.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #170 on: May 13, 2013, 10:08:54 am »
Reviving this thread.

Given the state of the Wii U now, Bayonetta 2 being an exclusive is... I don't know, kind of funny in a sad sort of way. Pre-Wii U launch I was very much of the mindset of "Wii U looks kind of cool, damn Bayo 2 is an exclusive? Guess I'll have to get one once the game releases!". But now, Wii U looks so damn uninteresting. Almost to the point of me ignoring it even if it means missing out on Bayonetta 2. At least, until I pick up a Wii U used years from now and then play the game.

This will probably make Will happy, but the thought of buying a Wii U to play Bayonetta 2 makes me feel kind of sick. Like, physically ill. lol

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #171 on: May 13, 2013, 10:35:27 am »
I didn't want a Wii U to start with, mostly because I already own a PS3/360 if I want to play .... 2006 technology games. I wish Nintendo would have manned up and put actual hardware in the box.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #172 on: May 13, 2013, 11:09:11 am »
Are you really suprised? I mean technically Nintendo has always pulled this trick. The SNES wasn't a proper 16 bit system depending on who you believe. The NES N64 and the Cube was the only systems nintendo actually built using the new technology at the time. The others were throwbacks put under a new hood.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #173 on: May 13, 2013, 11:53:43 am »
If I never had an xbox, playing the Bayonetta demo would have convinced me to get one just to play that game. It was that good.

So who knows, that plus the seven Sega Wii-U games might compel me to pick one up. Bayonetta two has a couple things working against it though: Nintendo is publishing it, it'll be on current gen hardware, and it probably won't floor me as hard as number one did because it's a sequel.

Then again if the Sega Wii-U games are unique and exclusives, then I might go the Wii-U route and use PC for all the other games. Either way, I won't be deciding any time soon.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #174 on: May 13, 2013, 01:02:55 pm »
I kind of wonder how it's gonna look on the Wii U as an exclusive without ports. This will be one of the not nintendo ish kiddy games getting everything out of the box. If this game looks impressive, it could still get people over the line. If it looks little improved from the original, then itll probabably rustle some peoples jimmies lol.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #175 on: May 13, 2013, 01:59:57 pm »
I think the Wii U situation is the same as the 3DS one: at first there's nothing really interesting for it, but later on it gets more appealing as the price drops and more games come out for it. Specifically when Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, Yarn Yoshi, Xenoblade 2 and the next 3D Mario and Mario Kart will be out during the next year or so.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #176 on: May 13, 2013, 04:36:33 pm »
@Barry

That has been on my mind a lot lately... The WiiU is not in a good place right now and almost feel like running up to the PG guys and saying: "Told ya so!"

Even worse, it's not so much their fault... Nintendo's responsible for how the market is treating their flagship console. How can they even begin to market titles for their new console if they can't even make it clear to consumers in general that the Wii U is actually a new console and not a fancy peripheral for the "current" Wii.

Bayonetta 2 and that 101 game are not in a happy place... I think PG games will likely have to swallow their pride and consider porting to other consoles.

When those sales numbers hit, I can only image that they won't be pleased.

Offline Radrappy

« Reply #177 on: May 13, 2013, 05:08:54 pm »
I think PG games will likely have to swallow their pride and consider porting to other consoles.

Does pride have anything to do with it though?  Isn't the theory that Nintendo is financing these games in some capacity?  It's the only way I imagine they're exclusive in the first place. 

Offline max_cady

« Reply #178 on: May 13, 2013, 06:43:23 pm »
In that case, I have nothing to say except that Platinum Games is f***ed.

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #179 on: May 14, 2013, 06:14:15 am »
PG get money regardless on how many it sells, it's Nintendo who loses out if it doesn't do well.

SEGA at least have another game to tick on their fiscal report for better or for worse.

I'm buying it regardless, Bayo isn't my favourite franchise I must admit, but I do like the gameplay mechanics.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.