Author Topic: Nagoshi Talks about next gen and Sega  (Read 28817 times)

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
Re: Nagoshi Talks about next gen and Sega
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 05:32:19 am »
Like i said I'm not happy how things are within Sega but back at the time i don't feel that it was more diffulcult to get a project going than anyone else getting a game started in Sega.

At 1st Ueda-san wanted to make a Panzer game  but next to no-one wanted to bother or had any interest with the series  sadly in the whole of SEGA Japan .  So Ueda-san along with a few members of SEGA Japan and a couple from SEGA America began work on a new concept game that got has far a CGI presentation (which was said to be utterly stunning)  but was sadly rejected by the board , the game was then pitched to SOA/SOE for possible funding and they rejected it too.

My point is when you said it changed its name it was never official

No it wasn't . I just knew one of the producers (who know works for SONY btw) and knew fell well the game was going to have a name changed . It really sad the Project never it made it out , it had plenty of cool ideas and had really good people working on it - including some producers and designers from system shock 2 (Looking class).

Actually she was in the puzzle line software, being the main producers

The puzzle Line was lead and headed by the Hand Held division (it was part of that team)  and that was Nishino-san divsion . Now Nishino-san is very good man (I'm told he's a complete tech and SEGA nerd so he's a good guy :)) but its time for some of the younger staff now to leads the teams and make their games .  It's really time of the old guard in most SEGA divisions to move back and just be producers and let the Younger Members be Team Leaders and bosses.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 06:24:31 am »
At 1st Ueda-san wanted to make a Panzer game  but next to no-one wanted to bother or had any interest with the series  sadly in the whole of SEGA Japan .  So Ueda-san along with a few members of SEGA Japan and a couple from SEGA America began work on a new concept game that got has far a CGI presentation (which was said to be utterly stunning)  but was sadly rejected by the board , the game was then pitched to SOA/SOE for possible funding and they rejected it too.

No it wasn't . I just knew one of the producers (who know works for SONY btw) and knew fell well the game was going to have a name changed . It really sad the Project never it made it out , it had plenty of cool ideas and had really good people working on it - including some producers and designers from system shock 2 (Looking class).

The puzzle Line was lead and headed by the Hand Held division (it was part of that team)  and that was Nishino-san divsion . Now Nishino-san is very good man (I'm told he's a complete tech and SEGA nerd so he's a good guy :)) but its time for some of the younger staff now to leads the teams and make their games .  It's really time of the old guard in most SEGA divisions to move back and just be producers and let the Younger Members be Team Leaders and bosses.

again

source?

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 07:29:55 am »
I will never reveal the source has people jobs and livelihoods depend on such matters - Just ask the people of SEGA Germany :(. But let me tell you everything I said is 100% the truth and the gospel
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 08:44:14 am »

And let's leave it like that. I dont have the time or the energy to carry on our epic battle debates anymore. Let's just agree to disagree on certain things .

As for the sources, that's true, that german guy that use to post in Sega nerds in its early/first year got people into a lot of trouble. But then half the stuff he was spouting was BS like the whole TEMPO crap he was coming out with when anyone who knows about that game knows its a title that has a copyright clause.

As for PANZER,come on that isn't a good example considering the xbox version broke even. They were never going to go with a new version of the title especially when the producers of that game was strongly hinting that any follow up would go the RPG route. The other game that you and I are talking about and i dont know much about it but that's hard luck. Even now the last title he was doing again he got screwed by fate. I dont think its anything to do with him personally that it wont happen.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 10:51:12 am »
As for PANZER,come on that isn't a good example considering the xbox version broke even. They were never going to go with a new version of the title especially when the producers of that game was strongly hinting that any follow up would go the RPG route.

Well some inside just thought it was more do with the system it was on and there  . And to be honest the game did really when people think about it - selling 200,000+ copies  for a modern day 3D shooter really isn't that bad when people look at it that way .

Btw the reason why most inside SEGA Japan didn't fancy a pitch of a new take on Panzer (it wasn't going to be just another shooter or RPG) had far more to do with Team members feeling the game has had its day and they've done everything they wanted to , rather than sales be the reason .

The other game that you and I are talking about and i dont know much about it but that's hard luck.

Well the old SEGA would have green lighted the game ; So that's why I get annoyed at seeing Nagoshi-san talking of the old SEGA way and what seperates SEGA to the rest , while SEGA dropped a Art game for a sequel to Yakuza 3 (and tbf Binary Domain) when other Teams should at least be allowed to try their concepts out and take the odd risk .They was also a SEGA PC tech demo shown off with the most amazing graphics anyone had seen at the time of the presentation , but that was dropped as it would have been a nightmare to get it running any consoles.

These days I haven't a clue what goes on inside SEGA Japan

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 11:10:21 am »
That's funny because I heard SEGA West infringe on SEGA Japan.

Who to believe Trippled who to believe!?

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 11:50:32 am »
It's strange that Udea would pitch a Panzer Dragoon game tough. I only see him credit himself for Jet Set Radio.

What happened to the GunValkyrie and Orta directors? The "expanded" Smilebit as it was.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 12:05:35 pm »
It's strange that Udea would pitch a Panzer Dragoon game tough.

It wasn't a pitch (it never got that far) It was just talking with friends at SEGA and talking of games they like to make, but none wanted to take it any further . BTW Ueda-san joined SEGA in the early 1994 and worked on Astal (his 1st SEGA game) and then moved to the Panzer Team for the sequel (Zwei) where his talent was seen on the bosses and so on - It's the likes of Ueda-san you can thank for that
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 12:26:21 pm »
yes but TA,PDO sold that number across three regions, the usa being the highest at 120-40 units. so it wasn't great numbers especially since japan had the lowest. what made it frustrating was then hearing xbox fanatics like the haskins complaining about  why sega wasn't supporting the xbox when sega's teams had their choice of which platform to develop for put their best games on that system but never saw any real strong returns. what was the management to do. Add to the usual crap sega goes thru and the sega xbox story ended up in tears. If that multiformat shooting alien horror game managed to get completed and released we might have seen more Sega SOJ MP releases earlier than we eventually did, although i perfer the exclusive route.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #54 on: May 18, 2013, 03:04:34 am »
yes but TA,PDO sold that number across three regions, the usa being the highest at 120-40 units. so it wasn't great numbers especially since japan had the lowest. what made it frustrating was then hearing xbox fanatics like the haskins complaining about  why sega wasn't supporting the xbox when sega's teams had their choice of which platform to develop for put their best games on that system but never saw any real strong returns. what was the management to do. Add to the usual crap sega goes thru and the sega xbox story ended up in tears. If that multiformat shooting alien horror game managed to get completed and released we might have seen more Sega SOJ MP releases earlier than we eventually did, although i perfer the exclusive route.

200,000 copies for a Modern Day shooter are great sales and that's a lot better sales than what lots of shooters could manage on the 32 bit systems like the PS or Saturn , but people don't look at it that way and to fair I think SEGA and MS were hopping Orta would sell 500,000 plus which was slightly unrealistic for a shooter with out a IP like Star Wars badge behind it 

What really hurt SEGA on the XBox was the poor sales of JSRF and SEGA GT (where SEGA spent a ton and put massive amounts of work in) and then Shenmue II falls falt on its ass and kills the hopes of AM#2 for a SEGA/MS funded sequel :( . Really to this day I can not figure out why JSFR sold so shit , The game was brilliant it had rave reviews and was a early title - it should have flown off the shelves

« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 03:06:18 am by Team Andromeda »
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #55 on: May 18, 2013, 05:33:00 am »
200,000 copies for a Modern Day shooter are great sales and that's a lot better sales than what lots of shooters could manage on the 32 bit systems like the PS or Saturn , but people don't look at it that way and to fair I think SEGA and MS were hopping Orta would sell 500,000 plus which was slightly unrealistic for a shooter with out a IP like Star Wars badge behind it 

What really hurt SEGA on the XBox was the poor sales of JSRF and SEGA GT (where SEGA spent a ton and put massive amounts of work in) and then Shenmue II falls falt on its ass and kills the hopes of AM#2 for a SEGA/MS funded sequel :( . Really to this day I can not figure out why JSFR sold so shit , The game was brilliant it had rave reviews and was a early title - it should have flown off the shelves

No TA it isn't good regardless on what type of game it was and it wasn't good enough at the time. because it was released in three regions they would have expected more and the advertising campaign mainly in japan and america didn't seem to make a difference. If that game made 200 000 sales in one region than that would have been great but unfortunatly it didn't.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #56 on: May 18, 2013, 06:06:43 am »
No TA it isn't good regardless on what type of game it was and it wasn't good enough at the time

No its very good sales given the system it was on and  it being a 2002 title  - when a lot of PS or Saturn 3d shooters didn't boast those sort of sales and in the 2nd year of the X-Box - 3D shooters and the shooter market in general were all but dead in the west and in serious decline in Japan . I really doubt Panzer Dragoon Zwei sold much more than 300,000 copies World wide it's self
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #57 on: May 18, 2013, 06:21:22 am »
Not with the budget,and the marketing that came with this title. It isn't good.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #58 on: May 18, 2013, 06:38:19 am »
Not with the budget,and the marketing that came with this title. It isn't good.

There was an old interview with the Team where I surprised to learn that the Budget wasn't that high with Orta compared to other XBox titles  (not has much people think) and the same goes for JSRF . The trouble was for a 3D shooter it cost more than what most standard shooter would, but that's always been the case  for Dragoon.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #59 on: May 18, 2013, 09:31:03 am »
There was an old interview with the Team where I surprised to learn that the Budget wasn't that high with Orta compared to other XBox titles  (not has much people think) and the same goes for JSRF . The trouble was for a 3D shooter it cost more than what most standard shooter would, but that's always been the case  for Dragoon.

I'm referring to that, if Smilebit followed with another shooter then maybe, The game broke even which was meant to be good enough for the higher ups but apperently the producer of the game was hinting that any followup would follow Azel's type of game and if that was going to be the case then the sales wouldn't justify an RPG which would have cost more money. And that added to all the other early Sega xbox games not doing well seem to kabosh that idea. Of course Smilebit being absorbed into AV didn't help either...