Author Topic: Sega Europe talks frankly about the Sega brand  (Read 44890 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sega Europe talks frankly about the Sega brand
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2015, 08:03:38 pm »
(Applauds Loudly) Welcome, fellow SEGA comrade. You are definitely a sincere SEGA fan.
Not a big issue, but we've had problems with this in the past. Everyone here is a genuine SEGA fan, that's why we're on the forum in the first place... Even those who you disagree with. While I'm sure it isn't the case here, I really don't like the petty 'your not a real SEGA fan, because we don't agree.' stance some people have taken in the past and I just want to nip that in the bud right now.
Made by SEGA

Offline EnternalHope

• Total Meseta: 2
  • Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2015, 08:20:56 pm »
Not a big issue, but we've had problems with this in the past. Everyone here is a genuine SEGA fan, that's why we're on the forum in the first place... Even those who you disagree with. While I'm sure it isn't the case here, I really don't like the petty 'your not a real SEGA fan, because we don't agree.' stance some people have taken in the past and I just want to nip that in the bud right now.

I'm referring to communities like Sega Forums,TSSZ and Sonic Stadium.

To me, they aren't real SEGA fans.

That's not the case here. This is the second true SEGA fan community next to Dreamcast-Talk I have seen.

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2015, 09:36:37 pm »
Theres an interview with someone from SEGA America that I read earlier today. Don't remember the source. The guy basically confirmed Sonic Boom is here to stay and that is what SEGA will be pushing, the new Sonic. and he says it will probably cause older fans to no longer be fans of Sonic in the process. At the same time he says SEGA wants to appeal to older fans sometimes? ??? wtf? lol. Seems contradictory, saying they will lose older fans but still want to appeal to them.

It's really weird, cause that's not the vibe I get from SEGA Japan at all. SEGA Europe is really busy pushing their Sonic Lost World PC port and don't seem to care about Sonic Boom at the moment. While SEGA Japan is all about Sonic Runners.

Basically, each branch seems to be doing their own thing.. again. Disconnected as always, of course, in the end, SEGA Japan / Sonic Team makes the final say. Just all very interesting.

Edit: found it
http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/30/9640190/sonic-the-hedgehog-sega-coo-quality-sonic-boom
« Last Edit: October 30, 2015, 09:44:31 pm by Happy Cat »

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2015, 11:20:57 pm »
Theres an interview with someone from SEGA America that I read earlier today. Don't remember the source. The guy basically confirmed Sonic Boom is here to stay and that is what SEGA will be pushing, the new Sonic. and he says it will probably cause older fans to no longer be fans of Sonic in the process. At the same time he says SEGA wants to appeal to older fans sometimes? ??? wtf? lol. Seems contradictory, saying they will lose older fans but still want to appeal to them.

It's really weird, cause that's not the vibe I get from SEGA Japan at all. SEGA Europe is really busy pushing their Sonic Lost World PC port and don't seem to care about Sonic Boom at the moment. While SEGA Japan is all about Sonic Runners.

Basically, each branch seems to be doing their own thing.. again. Disconnected as always, of course, in the end, SEGA Japan / Sonic Team makes the final say. Just all very interesting.

http://www.polygon.com/2015/10/30/9640190/sonic-the-hedgehog-sega-coo-quality-sonic-boom

SEGA of Japan is now in FULL control of the main Sonic series. They're handling it going forward.

Sonic Boom is Sega of America and SEGA of America only.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2015, 01:03:58 am »

I think you've misunderstood. At no point does he say 'we're focusing on Sonic Boom.' He's saying 'we want to focus on making Sonic game cool, quality and feel like Sonic.' Basically I think he is saying there are like so many types of Sonic fan, who want all different things out of the series but they are going to focus on just a few quality ideas and some fans will be lost...

I personally hope they mean stick to the Colours/Generations formula or something similar.
Made by SEGA

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #80 on: October 31, 2015, 01:17:22 am »
I was quite confused by that Polygon interview but am just going to ignore it since anything SoA says about Sonic has usually zero bearing on Sonic Team what so ever.  If they want to continue with Boom on the side, fine by me.  The show is pretty funny. 

Offline Happy Cat

• Total Meseta: 48
« Reply #81 on: October 31, 2015, 11:48:19 am »
I think you've misunderstood. At no point does he say 'we're focusing on Sonic Boom.' He's saying 'we want to focus on making Sonic game cool, quality and feel like Sonic.' Basically I think he is saying there are like so many types of Sonic fan, who want all different things out of the series but they are going to focus on just a few quality ideas and some fans will be lost...

I personally hope they mean stick to the Colours/Generations formula or something similar.

Maybe I did was quite tired. Still, the talk of "skewing towards the younger audience" and "losing older fans" makes me think of all the Sonic Boom interviews done in the past by SEGA America execs. They seemed to want to replace Sonic with their Sonic. Aimed at Boys aged 6-11 and basically called the older/existing fanbase irrelevant.

Hey, if that is how SEGA America wants to think, fine.

I think the Sonic Boom cartoon is great, but the games aren't at all interesting. In the end though, like Radrappy said, SOA has no influence over the future of Sonic. So I'm not at all worried. SEGA Japan / Sonic Team won't let Sonic Boom be more successful than mainline Sonic.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2015, 11:57:05 am by Happy Cat »

Offline Radrappy

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #82 on: October 31, 2015, 12:07:17 pm »
Maybe I did was quite tired. Still, the talk of "skewing towards the younger audience" and "losing older fans" makes me think of all the Sonic Boom interviews done in the past by SEGA America execs. They seemed to want to replace Sonic with their Sonic. Aimed at Boys aged 6-11 and basically called the older/existing fanbase irrelevant.

I actually read his comment the same way you did.  It was eerie how he talked about "sonic fans,"  and the "consumer" as if they were two very separate entities.  It feels like he's somehow implying that they need to reach a bigger audience than veterans of the series can provide.

The scary part is that from a business point of view he is of course right. 

Offline Sharky

« Reply #83 on: November 01, 2015, 08:12:56 am »
Going forward we know that Sonic and Sonic Boom are both going to continue... I am happy to buy a quality Sonic title (not sonic Boom) even if it is aimed at a younger audience... Quality is key, most Mario games are aimed at a younger audience but the quality ones, like Mario Kart and Galaxy are fun for everyone.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #84 on: November 01, 2015, 09:10:24 am »
Sonic Boom continuing is no different from the days when Sonic X ran parallel to the games. Difference with Boom was they tried, and failed, at making it an all encompassing franchise. At this point, Boom is mainly TV and toys, with a lesser focus on games (3DS and mobile) and comics (the occasional story in the grocery store Sonic digest books).

Ninja Turtles is doing fine with multiple versions running concurrently, we have the IDW comics, the Nick TV show, and the live action movies, not to mention the throwback 80s merch.

Offline Phantasos

• Total Meseta: 4
« Reply #85 on: November 02, 2015, 06:37:11 am »
http://www.dualshockers.com/2015/11/02/sega-expects-growth-for-console-games-in-japan-thanks-to-current-gen-consoles-posts-profits/

Good thing the PS4 is kicking so much ass, even Sega is leaning towards more console gaming now.

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #86 on: November 02, 2015, 09:58:58 am »
SEGA is doing REALLY well financially and is in black:

http://www.siliconera.com/2015/11/02/sega-is-back-in-the-black-despite-lower-sales-numbers/

Just imagine how much more revenue they'll be making in the Arcade Amusement industry.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #87 on: November 02, 2015, 12:23:55 pm »
Just imagine how much more revenue they'll be making in the Arcade Amusement industry.

“As for the market for amusement centers and amusement machines, which is shrinking, initiatives to expand the player base are required.”
Made by SEGA

Offline EnternalHope

• Sega fan for Life.
« Reply #88 on: November 02, 2015, 12:34:15 pm »
“As for the market for amusement centers and amusement machines, which is shrinking, initiatives to expand the player base are required.”

Expanding it overseas to create a larger usebase and consumer base, while putting out more must play Japanese Arcade titles domestically(Something SEGA hasn't done in 3 years since introducing RINGEDGE 2.)

That assures an increase in profits.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #89 on: November 03, 2015, 12:12:34 pm »
Who the fuck reads Polygon?
SEG4GES