Author Topic: Passionate SEGA Discussion Topic for TA & ROJM and anyone else  (Read 41114 times)

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
Re: SEGA Discussion Topic for TA & ROJM
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2013, 04:16:53 pm »
Sega has almost no input whatsoever on Bayonetta 2. They serve as "advisors" if asked for their advice, but that is literally the extent of it. Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo game, they'll have far more input on it than Sega will; not that they'll interfere too much.

That said, Sega's name will be on the box, so I don't see why it can't be included in this list, especially since it's a game that many Sega fans will love. (Well, unless they refuse to play it. Which would be stupid.)

Sure RE 6 isn't the be and end all, but its a very well made game and good in its own rite .

That's...what it wasn't. I'd definitely say that RE5 was well-made, but RE6? Nope.

Offline Randroid

• Total Meseta: 15
« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2013, 01:20:36 am »
http://www.joystiq.com/2013/01/30/sega-no-plans-to-re-release-virtual-on-virtua-striker-outside/

What the fuck?  Can we still buy the JP version and play with each other online?

I'm sure you can still play the JP version. Just setup a JP psn or xbox account, buy, download and play.

I have the jp Virtual On Force and while the text is completely Jp, I was able to play online no problem. I assume the same for these titles.

Offline Pao

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2013, 03:09:06 am »
^I dunno, it's neither published nor developed by Sega, they just own the character AFAIK. I can't consider that a Sega game.
They own the IP, which includes the character and everything else.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2013, 03:53:52 am »
Sega has almost no input whatsoever on Bayonetta 2. They serve as "advisors" if asked for their advice, but that is literally the extent of it. Bayonetta 2 is a Nintendo game, they'll have far more input on it than Sega will; not that they'll interfere too much.

Yep spot on . Its kind of sad that SEGA fans are becoming so desperate to try and make out that Bay II is a SEGA game , because SEGA line up is so weak

And this IP is just silly . Activision own the rights to bond , did they make Golden Eye on the N64 or was in RARE ? Did Acclaim make Ferrari F355 or was it SEGA, Did EA made Nascar Racing or was it SEGA Rosso . In the end Platinium made Bayonetta not SEGA

That's...what it wasn't. I'd definitely say that RE5 was well-made, but RE6? Nope

I like RE 5 but it had zero scares and no atmosphere in terms of a Horror game - RE 6 brought some of that back imo.
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2013, 04:05:36 am »
They own the IP, which includes the character and everything else.
I know they own the IP, but they have nothing to do with this game, they just licensed out the character.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2013, 09:00:34 am »
I'm not sure if Activision still has the James Bond license. They recently removed all Bond games from Steam (and also Blur for some reason).

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2013, 09:13:56 am »

You can forget Bay II , I don't even class Bay 1 has a SEGA game - SEGA didn't develop it , they just bought the rights to the IP , in just the same way SEGA signed up Gunstar Heroes . People like you may well want to point out its a SEGA game, to me it was and always will be a Treasure game; Treasure developed it and made the game, same goes for Bay.

It depends how well known the Studio is. Platinum and Treasure are definitly recognized for their past successes, and anyone who isn't a super casual gamer, would think of it as mostly a game made by those Studios.

Same goes for the Cave and Renegade Ops. They are advertised to be made by the people who did famous stuff like Just Cause and Monkey Island.

With games like Ecco and ToeJam & Earl, they came of developers with work prior relatively unknown, or not hugely recognizable.

Arkedo with Hell Yeah is an identical situation.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2013, 11:11:40 am »
It depends how well known the Studio is. Platinum and Treasure are definitly recognized for their past successes, and anyone who isn't a super casual gamer, would think of it as mostly a game made by those Studios.

Not just those who should get the credit for Earthworm Jim ? Dave Perry and his then Shining Studio  or Interplay and Playmates ? - who did exactly what SEGA did with Bay - And that pick up the rights and publish the game .

I'm not sure if Activision still has the James Bond license.

I'm sure they still own it, but since the likes of Bizarre Creations and Eurocom have shut down - that might explain why the games have been pulled . In the end we all know that RARE developed and made GoldenEye not the IP holder
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2013, 12:15:21 pm »

? I don't get what you mean . SEGA been great in the Arcades and able to push very basic PC tech to it limits and make it look as good as many current gen 360 and P3 games - yet the Tech powering the games is way behind those of the consoles . I've just wonder for years why SEGA R&D tech can be so good on Lindberg and Ring Edge and be so behind on the consoles and other Japanese corps for Tech on home consoles games (bar the odd title here and there)

The point is you kept shouting how poor the console games were and didn't even say anything about the arcade scene. Dont bother trying to say you did either. i was there pratically defending to other people that their arcade games were coming up with a lot of good games. And no, the arcade games from Sega at the moment are dire, endless repeats of the same game, type of game or social gaming/kiddie gaming nonsense.

You can forget Bay II , I don't even class Bay 1 has a SEGA game - SEGA didn't develop it , they just bought the rights to the IP , in just the same way SEGA signed up Gunstar Heroes . People like you may well want to point out its a SEGA game, to me it was and always will be a Treasure game; Treasure developed it and made the game, same goes for Bay.

Wrong. Its part of a long proud tradition of Sega second party gaming. Which i stated quite clearly. Sega is more than just being about inhouse games, second or third party titles and western made titles. like it or not its part of Sega's leagcy. It all fits together. But why am i arguing with a guy who thinks the megadrive is shit? lose credibilty right there.

Again its not a SEGA developed game , I don't consider it to be a In-House title , just like D2 on the DC. I just wish SEGA being the IP holder to bring the titles to XBLA and PSN.

Nobady said they were inhouse.

Look we all know the 1st 2 titles we made In-House . Climax I never considered their games to be In-House titles with regards to Land Stalker or Dark Savour and there's been many a team an outside Team has been drafted in to help a In-House studio with developer at key points  - It happened with Shenmue and to this day happens with the likes of Bioshock 2 .
No, they weren't they were associated not inhouse teams, Climax was involved with SHINING and the Darkness and the first two  Shining Force titles with Sonic Planning. So effectivly you dont consider the first SHINING games to be proper Sega games ,which technically they are not.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:18:56 pm by ROJM »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2013, 12:33:55 pm »

Incorrect. Sega's involvement in this sequel actually goes deeper than what you are suggesting. They just didn't fully commit to it due to financial elements. And if people really think a studio like Platinum can just walk up to someone like Nintendo and shop BAYONETTA 2 to them, they are living in lala land. Sega would have been involved in the deal from the start with nintendo and probably helped set up the meeting in the first place Then Nintendo would more or less had to talk to sega about make it an exclusive. They being Nintendo would have to negotiate with Sega the price to do that and use the IP that Sega would be willing to accept. And then they would have to pay Sega the price to use the IP and make it an exclusive. So that's hardly Sega being non involved. And lets not forget, sega had no input in the development of the first batch of PG titles, all sega did was approve some elements when it came to use of certain characters they owned and help support the PG staff with technical stuff, which they did. The advisory role is just there because nintendo paid sega the privilage to use its IP. Using the Advising credit to bat Sega over the head with to satisfy the naysayers that Sega isn't involved or didn't play a vital role is stupid when on a game when they didn't advise PG in the first place with their first titles, which was why PG was happy with the Sega deal because they had a lot of freedom to do what they wanted. So saying the advisory thing as a case of point really doesn't mean anything.

And the reality is Sega could have just sat on this IP and not let PG use it, we know this because Sega has sat on various IP for years and not done anything with them. So people blowing steam about this or that and sega betrayal and whatnot be grateful that you are getting a sequel, because there are many SEGA games out there that people would like to see sequels of be they from the in house teams or second party  and western dev side.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2013, 02:56:00 pm »
The point is you kept shouting how poor the console games were and didn't even say anything about the arcade scene.

I've always wonder why SEGA can push PC tech so hard inthe Arcades and be so behind the times for consoles and I don't need to use the way back when, to prove that

Its part of a long proud tradition of Sega second party gaming

Sorry I don't like SEGA for 2nd party games, but used to love them for In-House games - Those days are few and far between now

Climax was involved with SHINING and the Darkness and the first two

Climax helped out with many games even Shenmue , Shenmue is still a AM#2 game though .

Sega's involvement in this sequel actually goes deeper than what you are suggesting

Yes SEGA allowed reference to their Arcade games and music and that's it . It be quite clear with Bay II that SEGA not being the publisher makes next to no difference to the game design

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline Ben

• Total Meseta: 1
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2013, 05:55:32 pm »
I like RE 5 but it had zero scares and no atmosphere in terms of a Horror game - RE 6 brought some of that back imo.

See I felt that while RE5 had zero scares (Well, except for that Licker corridor towards the end) I thought the game had a well-crafted level of intensity; it used RE4's stop and shoot system, which is VERY successful at creating a suspenseful and intense atmosphere, especially when that Chainsaw guy came after you.

RE6 darkened the environments but I didn't find it scary in the least, and I thought all 4 campaigns were awfully paced with almost no thought put into creating suspense, atmosphere, or anything except "how much shit can we blow up."

And the aiming sucked. The environments were even smaller and offered even less exploration than RE5. The music was over-the-top and wouldn't shut up, the cover system (for the characters who used it) was awful, the bosses were terrible, the graphics didn't even look that good (while RE5 looked incredible for its time) the "leveling up" system was nearly useless, and all in all...sorry, but I just don't get it; even if you say "judge the game on its own merits and forget it's a Resident Evil game," RE6 was one of the worst action games I've ever played.

At least RE5 did what it tried to do (co-op action in an eerie setting with a plot that wrapped up pretty much everything that began with RE1) well. It was what it was, but it did it well. RE6 to me did nothing well, and I'm glad sales figures are showing that many people agree.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 05:57:49 pm by Ben »

Offline ROJM

« Reply #42 on: February 01, 2013, 05:04:01 am »
I've always wonder why SEGA can push PC tech so hard inthe Arcades and be so behind the times for consoles and I don't need to use the way back when, to prove that

Were not talking about tech. Were talking about perception on how good the titles were back then. Again you didn't say nothing whether Sega was really firing duds when people were slagging off the quality of their software. And i dont need to go way back to prove that either.
Sorry I don't like SEGA for 2nd party games, but used to love them for In-House games - Those days are few and far between now
I like Sega for bringing a unique quality to the gaming experience. Its sheer diversity of the great titles that SOJ can manage to muster with what they have under second party development and western development can pull out. All trying to be the best that they can be. I mean who would have thought ten years ago that I could say that AFTERBURNER, SHINOBI and PHANTASY STAR belongs in the same house of TOTAL WAR and now COMPANY OF HEROES? Its a unique blending of these titles that make Sega standout.

Point is the word Sega means different things to different people. To some it use to mean pinball machines. To others its Redemption systems. To many its Sonic. To others its 3d gaming. To a few its the classic mechanical electronic systems. And to some the best of japan or others it means Genesis and western gaming, etc etc. The reality is the defination of a Sega game has evolved from the many decades that the company has been around. From titles to KILLER SHARK to FROGGER to HOT ROD and SONIC, VIRTUA FIGHTER to SAKURA TAISEN, SHINING FORCE to ECCO and VECTOR MAN to GUNSTAR HEROES and BAYONETTA. All these titles fit into the unique mix of what the Sega brand of gaming has evolved to regardless of their origins. And it will keep on evolving. The one thing that hasn't changed is the idealogy of Sega being the best in whatever field of gaming they are in.

Climax helped out with many games even Shenmue , Shenmue is still a AM#2 game though .

Not really the same thing TA and you know it. SHINING has always been worked on by outside development and originally by two teams who both contributed ideas to the early stage of that series.

Yes SEGA allowed reference to their Arcade games and music and that's it . It be quite clear with Bay II that SEGA not being the publisher makes next to no difference to the game design

Didn't i just say that? Point is without Sega, there wouldn't be a BAYONETTA 2. That's the fact that most people keep missing. No one can shop around an ip that they dont own to another company and then suddenly get it made without the owner's participation. If they could hell we'd still be playing proper SHINING FORCE titles  on Nintendo instead of these Golden Sun games.

Offline Team Andromeda

« Reply #43 on: February 01, 2013, 06:36:07 am »
Not really the same thing TA and you know it

No Climax have always helped SEGA in times of need and you know it

Were not talking about tech.

Sorry mate I on about the Tech and just can't understand how SEGA can push the likes of Lindberg so hard (where the likes of VF 5 look as good as any console fighter) and yet be so far (even Capcom) for next gen engines of the main consoles , not always but really SEGA with its Arcade background  should have been the leading force on the next Gen system for a Japanese studio .

Its a unique blending of these titles that make Sega standout.

If we're honest . SEGA doesn't really stand out anymore and that's the trouble .

SHINING has always been worked on by outside development

Yes but the 1st two were made In-House while the brothers were still at SEGA.

Point is without Sega, there wouldn't be a BAYONETTA 2.

Well true but then you just call it something else like SEGA still hold the IP rights to MSR, but BC made PGR series for Microsoft or like SEGA still has REZ but Q? made Child Of Eden ;Though I must admit Bay is a great character and would be a loss if the Team had to make the game with out her

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Offline ROJM

« Reply #44 on: February 02, 2013, 05:54:48 am »
[
No Climax have always helped SEGA in times of need and you know it

Not with SHINING FORCE they didn't, they were a fresh new team at the time co developing the title with another new fresh team. BOTH were not associated with Sega.

Sorry mate I on about the Tech and just can't understand how SEGA can push the likes of Lindberg so hard (where the likes of VF 5 look as good as any console fighter) and yet be so far (even Capcom) for next gen engines of the main consoles , not always but really SEGA with its Arcade background  should have been the leading force on the next Gen system for a Japanese studio .

Again nothing to do with how good a game is. People were slagging off Sega left right and centre back at the GR forums and you didn't say anything to say the whether the arcade games were good or not.
Tech doesn't mean a game will be good or not. And the fact you haven't addressed that and keep going on about something that's nothing to do with what i said means you know you didn't. Argument done.

If we're honest . SEGA doesn't really stand out anymore and that's the trouble .
I think they stood out quite nicely between 2008-2011.

Yes but the 1st two were made In-House while the brothers were still at SEGA.
That's like saying Yuzo was part of Sega when in fact he wasn't.

Well true but then you just call it something else like SEGA still hold the IP rights to MSR, but BC made PGR series for Microsoft or like SEGA still has REZ but Q? made Child Of Eden ;Though I must admit Bay is a great character and would be a loss if the Team had to make the game with out her
You mean the code? Oh yes if Nintendo wanted a Bayonetta like game then they could have gone for that but obviously they wanted the name as well.Even then any code would have to change elements from the previous code like GOTHAM did after PGR.