Author Topic: So... Has anyone noticed... (Sega/Sonic related)  (Read 34138 times)

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
Re: So... Has anyone noticed... (Sega/Sonic related)
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2011, 10:49:48 am »
I never really thought about it that way. I always thought those baloon looking glassy boxes looked stupid. But now I realise that it is because in 3d you cannot view the item from every angle.

Hmmm... well tbh I don't see a problem in only being able to see the item from one angle :p. I would be perfectly fine with them. Eggman/Robotnik monitors would finally have some merit to them
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2011, 11:24:36 am »
The problem is that it would be counter productive to the flow of the gameplay, I dont want to have to walk around the object to see what is in it... I want to see it and know, so I can make the decission to get it or not.

Don't get so wrapped up in wanting things so 'retro sonic' that you're prepared to go back to silly design choises that don't work in 3D.

Sometimes there is a GOOD reason to progress the series, I never really 'got' the TV boxes or why anyone cares so much about them anyway.
Made by SEGA

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2011, 11:56:40 am »
Who puts those boxes there, anyway? I mean, if Eggman does, why benefit Sonic? Clearly, he has Eggman boxes, so why not have ALL the boxes be Eggman boxes?

I always thought it would be neat if certain badniks could use items in boxes. Think you're running up to a box, when a motobug starts to near an item box with a shield. If you don't hit the box before he reaches it, he gets the shield and in turn requires two hits.

edit:

Roller would be perfect for this. Dude rolls into the screen, attempts to bop the item box, and then rolls off.

Offline cube_b3

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2011, 01:25:32 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I don't feel the need to bring back the old TV boxes... In Sonic Adventure they had those glass-like things you break that contain 10 rings, sheilds etc and I think it worked better then TVs.

Having 4 sided tvs seems a bit... clumsy

Yeah the boxed tv's were reimagined as 3D Glass Projections. But they've been removed now thanks to Unleashed/Colors.

I hate numbered rings, cause that just makes them coins from Mario. The whole point of rings is that they are hollow!

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2011, 01:28:34 pm »
Don't get so wrapped up in wanting things so 'retro sonic' that you're prepared to go back to silly design choises that don't work in 3D.

That's how I feel about Unleashed and Colors. Only problem is their 2D sections suck. Sonic can't even look up or down, doesn't even have a falling off the edge animation.

I am sorry, but I just really hate Unleashed and Colors.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2011, 01:38:58 pm »
Despite that downside to Unleashed and Colors (not looking up and down) they are far far better and far more playable than any main series Sonic title released between 2005 and 2007. Here's hoping Sonic Anniversary remedies those small problems. Why not have the right stick to look up and down? I believe this is how Splosion Man operates.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2011, 03:29:05 pm »
I can appreciate the third redesign of the Sonic series from Unleashed and onward, but it really does bug me how it does not really feel like the same series anymore. I enjoyed Colors and Unleashed enough, but I have a hard time getting excited for whatever is next. Colors especially has some of the worst replay value in a console Sonic game in a long time. I have never gotten bored of a Sonic game so fast in my life, the content was really lacking. Wisps were pretty creative, but nothing Kirby has not done before really. I would just prefer the days where he had all of the moves from the start and would like to stay away from "Magic Hand" territory.

As for the monitors, I understand the change, but the item monitors made sense, they were another invention by Robotnik who would just make weird random crap. Now they are just random bubbles that serve as another awkward thing in the series. It is not really broken or anything though.

I do not think it is really all that necessary to have them bubbles anymore either really. Colors was mostly in a 2D setting and every 3D section was pretty straightforward with no real camera control. They could just have the monitors facing your direction, not a big deal.

And not sure what Sharky meant by classic things might be awkward in 3D. The only thing that I could see being a hassle is getting momentum and rolling to work right again, but Sonic Team does not even know he can roll anymore.

EDIT: One of the biggest unsung problems with the newer Sonic games is that Sonic is just too damn small in the 2D sections. Fix that please.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2011, 03:51:33 pm »
I noticed that in watching playthroughs of Colors. You'd think with the game being in 3D, they could have a camera option for the 2D sections, like close, medium and far. I was impressed by how Sonic Adventure DX had two camera options. Neither were amazing, but it was nice to have a choice.

Scope out this comparison. Compared to Sonic 4, 2D sections in Colors make Sonic itty bitty:

Also, the HUD in Sonic 4 is superior in my opinion.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2011, 04:27:49 pm »
And not sure what Sharky meant by classic things might be awkward in 3D.
...The TV boxes?
They would be counter productive in 3D, you need to be able to see the item box from all angles... It would be annoying to have to walk around the item box to find the front to know if I want to pick it up or not. How can I be more clear?

As for Sonic Colours vs Sonic 4 when it comes to the camera, I found Sonic Colours could have been a little bit closer in some sections but I felt Sonic 4 was far, far to close... You can only see a few feet infront of you.
Made by SEGA

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2011, 04:41:12 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Despite that downside to Unleashed and Colors (not looking up and down) they are far far better and far more playable than any main series Sonic title released between 2005 and 2007...

[youtube:1qgisakb]OJgtCg4Vptw[/youtube:1qgisakb]
To me and those who I play with, we find 06 waaaaay better than anything released after it. I think what destroyed 06 were the bugs and load times had they been absent it would've been worlds better than Colors/Unleashed based on level design alone.

Massive stages, open ended explore to your heart out.

[youtube:1qgisakb]7HjPgL3t5AU[/youtube:1qgisakb]
Unleashed: Just press the boost button and the level will finish it self for you, all you have to do is tap the direction pad or jump once in a while. And to give the illusion of challenge we'll litter the levels with enemies that don't even damage you if you run in to them directly (without boost) but if you run at them with boost they'll die :S.

Colors lacks bugs and is better than Unleashed in every way but it is the most regressed Sonic game of all time as well. With a World Map that pales in comparison to Super Mario World and invisible Walls that would put Naughty Dog's Crash games to shame.

[youtube:1qgisakb]lfSlT8RSbvA[/youtube:1qgisakb]
I rather play Super Mario World: the map is a million times better than Colors. I hounestly thing they used Mario as a bases for Colors.

[youtube:1qgisakb]_9duLa-mixQ[/youtube:1qgisakb]
I could play PS1 Crash games for my fix of Invisible Walls. The Havoc Physics also appears to be more advanced in this game and it has item boxes :P.

[youtube:1qgisakb]6y_jxuiklRs[/youtube:1qgisakb]
Honestly if the Yuji Naka'sm TGS 05 vision of 06 was fully realized all the games on the list would've been blown out of the water.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2011, 05:07:47 pm by cube_b3 »

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2011, 05:02:45 pm »
And not sure what Sharky meant by classic things might be awkward in 3D.
...The TV boxes?
They would be counter productive in 3D, you need to be able to see the item box from all angles... It would be annoying to have to walk around the item box to find the front to know if I want to pick it up or not. How can I be more clear?

As for Sonic Colours vs Sonic 4 when it comes to the camera, I found Sonic Colours could have been a little bit closer in some sections but I felt Sonic 4 was far, far to close... You can only see a few feet infront of you.

I already pointed out how it is not necessary to change this stuff any more. If anything, they can make whole sections out of the classic stuff and it would look fine in 3D, just would not play as good most likely.

Quote from: "cube_b3"
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
Despite that downside to Unleashed and Colors (not looking up and down) they are far far better and far more playable than any main series Sonic title released between 2005 and 2007...

To me and those who I play with, we find 06 waaaaay better than anything released after it. I think what destroyed 06 were the bugs and load times had they been absent it would've been worlds better than Colors/Unleashed based on level design alone.

Sonic Colors lacks bugs and is better than Unleashed in every way but it is the most regressed Sonic game of all time as well. With a World Map that pales in comparison to Super Mario World and invisible Walls that would put Naughty Dog's Crash games to shame.

I rather play Super Mario World or any game in the PS1 Crash series over Sonic Colors.

Sonic 06 has some of the worst design I have ever seen in any game ever. It was not just bugs and load times, the game was generally bad on almost every front. Even the character models, art and level design have some of the worst in the series, it has the most holes in a Sonic game ever, too. I hate invisible walls in Sonic games, but somethings got to give.

I cannot agree that Colors is better than Unleashed though. It is obvious which one has better design overall, but Colors took out a lot of stuff that should have stayed, like the bumper buttons for quick stepping and ANY replay value outside of [spoiler:15he56rt]Super Sonic[/spoiler:15he56rt].. which barely counts as anything.

Offline cube_b3

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2011, 05:23:52 pm »
Updated my previous post with enough references, to finally make 06 the greatest Sonic game of this generation.

Unleashed lost me with the inability to recollect rings after damage, and Colors won me by reintroducing several Sonic traits albeit via the wisps but at least they were back.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2011, 05:52:41 pm »
I get the feeling that cube cares only about Graphics and Storylines in games (or if they are somehow involved with classic Sega developers). Not an insult, but that just seems to be the trend.

Also, I'm with Snaus in that I really have just about zero interest in Sonic whatsoever anymore. I've pretty much lost hope they'll ever make anything I like from the series ever again.
EDIT: That sounds very negative... I should say I'm willing to give the games a shot usually at least. I did play Sonic Colours and don't hate it, just don't think it's anything special either. Sonic 4 I did try the demo, but I have so many problems with that game it hurts to think about it.

I still think that the most awesome thing tehy could do for Sonic's anniversary is get each development team to make one level each with no information about what the others are doing. Just give them the most basic outline possible (this will be a snow level etc) and just let them make a sonic level however they want with whatever graphic style/platforming elements/gameplay they feel like. Get each team (No matter how unrelated to Sonic, so that means Creative Assembly too!) and just let them go nuts and see what comes out.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2011, 05:59:13 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
I cannot agree that Colors is better than Unleashed though. It is obvious which one has better design overall, but Colors took out a lot of stuff that should have stayed, like the bumper buttons for quick stepping and ANY replay value outside of [spoiler:oqsui0b5]Super Sonic[/spoiler:oqsui0b5].. which barely counts as anything.

I'll bet if Colors were on the HD consoles, it would have had the far better bumper buttons for quick step. Loved that.

Offline Sharky

« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2011, 06:29:13 pm »
and ANY replay value

WHAT, which Sonic game has better replay then Sonic Colours? The replay in Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are complete filler crap. Its all 'replay this level now with shitty unsonic like gameplay or complete these silly missions.'

- Sonic colours has the E-S rating system,

- 5 Collectable red rings in each stage that unlock cool levels based on classic Sonic levels.

-Multiple paths that only unlock as you progress and find new wisps making replay very important, in fact one of the beginning levels the first time you play it, its a very short run from start to end but once you re-play it with the whisps you earn later in the game it opens up into a massive level...

-The Egg Shuttle mode for your non-stop play through...

-Online leader boards for score attack

-NOT TO MENTION [spoiler:1lvy4vdj]Super Sonic for the first time in levels, in a 3D Sonic game.[/spoiler:1lvy4vdj]

I really can't think of a 3D Sonic game with BETTER replay value... Only ones like Sonic Adventure DX with crappy filler and characters that have gameplay unsuited to Sonic games.
Made by SEGA