Author Topic: Where did it really go wrong in the sega console era  (Read 30498 times)

Offline semmie

• Banned
Where did it really go wrong in the sega console era
« on: February 15, 2013, 01:31:54 am »
everybody has his story
and ive been listening to the punk ass bill gates and he had his side of the story.
the meaning of this topic is to filter rumors and keep the essence of truth.
to start what i red lately it really made sense:

SEGA being screwed by both Peter Moore and Microsoft, SEGA was indeed the first console to make online gaming mainstream and if it wasn't for Dreamcast, there would be no XBOX. Microsoft on purposed worked on Dreamcast just so they could figure out how the console industry operates, and then they used SEGA as a stepping stone and decided to make their own console. However, XBOX was second on every single thing, DREAMCAST was first, and in my opinion, much better
SEGA used Windows CE technology and originally, Microsoft was supposed to supply an online service for SEGA, but they screwed SEGA and decided to make their own console. Peter Moore was in full control of Sega of America and he basically screwed SEGA as well, especially when he decided to fire a bunch of Japanese workers directly associated with Dreamcast. He joined Microsoft afterwards... total screw job

ME: i think this is truth.
enlighten me. sega had good plans in essence. but dem bithes dont roll

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
Re: Where did it really go wrong in the sega console era
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 06:20:08 am »
1993. Spread way too thinly. They could have and should have focused all their fire on the Saturn.

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 04:21:58 pm »
"The Saturn isn't our future!"
SEG4GES

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 04:33:03 pm »
Not having any mass-market games.

There needed to be far more killing and violence and less happiness.

Offline semmie

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2013, 12:36:00 am »
Not having any mass-market games.

There needed to be far more killing and violence and less happiness.

i think one of the lates news about the alien games is the perfect example how the beautifull sega company got screwed over and over again. sega itself is a shining star but they should start to learn that not everyone is so sincere like they are. they should make more use of human knowledge

but hey this is what uu get if u dont make use of your own teams like am2 and sonic team etc.....
you cant expect the outsourced companys to be sweet milfs with sincere love. they can be bitches as well.
sega needs to make a strong big titanium defensive wall against these peeps.  the ideas of sega are perfect. but the peeps tryin to make shit for sega are not

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:32:47 am »
I'd say lack of direction. After the genesis, Sega had a lack of direction in where they were going at least in the west. It also didn't help that you had Sega subsidaries competing against each other and companies like Segasoft focusing on another field like PC. They also failed in tying the different depatments together like the arcades.They spread themselves to thin and didn't built up the userbase they had with the Master system and genesis something that really started during the end of the genesis era. So we have what we have now. A brand name called Sega which is a collection of fans who are into different franchises that sega happen to own and not fans of the company as a whole like it use to be.   

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2013, 10:27:11 pm »
but hey this is what uu get if u dont make use of your own teams like am2 and sonic team etc.....
you cant expect the outsourced companys to be sweet milfs with sincere love. they can be bitches as well.
sega needs to make a strong big titanium defensive wall against these peeps.  the ideas of sega are perfect. but the peeps tryin to make shit for sega are not
Except that Platinum Games made some of the best Sega games of the last decade.

Offline Mengels7

• Total Meseta: 7
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2013, 01:08:10 am »
i think one of the lates news about the alien games is the perfect example how the beautifull sega company got screwed over and over again. sega itself is a shining star but they should start to learn that not everyone is so sincere like they are. they should make more use of human knowledge

Dude. Chill your Segaboner a bit.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2013, 05:14:48 am »
Semmie, Sega isn't the Virgin mary. They're more like Mary mary magdalene with a bit of Kim kardasian thrown in. Sometimes they are the cause of their own problems.

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2013, 10:39:00 pm »
SEGA used Windows CE technology and originally, Microsoft was supposed to supply an online service for SEGA, but they screwed SEGA and decided to make their own console. Peter Moore was in full control of Sega of America and he basically screwed SEGA as well,

So wrong on so many levels . MS provided a OS developement system for a platform, which is what MS  do (being a software corp) and Peter Moore  and SOA did more for the SEGA Dreamcast than Japan and Europe; It was though divsions that let the side down with poor hardware and software sales and it was SOJ that pulled the plug, not SEGA America

, SEGA was indeed the first console to make online gaming mainstream

The list of on-line games for the DC isn't that big mate , and long before the DC the likes of Saturn was talking console gamers on the Web and the DC wasn't even the 1st console to ship with a Modem as standard : that honour belongs to the Pippin

However, XBOX was second on every single thing, DREAMCAST was first, and in my opinion, much better

X-Box LIVE service was leagues ahead of anything on the DC. The friends and match making, easy of use on the  system better than anything on the PC too (at the time) MS spend millions on developing the system and it showed .

It all started to go wrong in the 32 bit age. Trying to develope for and support 2 different 32 bit consoles as well as supporting the Game Gear, Mega Drive and Arcades spread SEGA too thin and as a result SEGA lost marketshare, 3rd parties and loads of money and sadly that's to blame
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2013, 06:30:12 am »
Semmie, Sega isn't the Virgin mary. They're more like Mary mary magdalene with a bit of Kim kardasian thrown in. Sometimes they are the cause of their own problems.

lol, being "passed around" by men until "Jesus" rescued her....would Jesus be Nintendo then?

I think SEGA shot themselves in the foot when they still had a foothold over Nintendo in the 16-bit era, and that desire to be "first" in the console generation was their downfall.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2013, 08:18:11 am »
lol, being "passed around" by men until "Jesus" rescued her....would Jesus be Nintendo then?

Errr no. I meant that they were experienced in the realities of life than the virgin mary ever was. The kim Kadasian bit is Sega's desire to work with companies that is wel;l known in order to make themselves look good for publicity's sake.
I think SEGA shot themselves in the foot when they still had a foothold over Nintendo in the 16-bit era, and that desire to be "first" in the console generation was their downfall.
If sega didn't build a 16 bit when they did we'd wouldn't be enjoying the likes of the revelation of the PS4 and the other current systems. Left it to Nintendo, well look at the Wii. Being first wasn't there downfall, being disorganised was.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2013, 08:28:01 am »
So wrong on so many levels . MS provided a OS developement system for a platform, which is what MS  do (being a software corp) and Peter Moore  and SOA did more for the SEGA Dreamcast than Japan and Europe; It was though divsions that let the side down with poor hardware and software sales and it was SOJ that pulled the plug, not SEGA America

Peter Moore did more? LOL. I wasn't impressed my self. but then Stolar was a nightmare even if he did guide the DC to a succesful american launch and had promising ideas ahead. His redemption with Sega wasn't to be and after the saturn fiasco, good riddance. sadly i dont think any Sega west president in that era was particulary good.
The list of on-line games for the DC isn't that big mate , and long before the DC the likes of Saturn was talking console gamers on the Web and the DC wasn't even the 1st console to ship with a Modem as standard : that honour belongs to the Pippin

strange i thought that was Atari's honour.
X-Box LIVE service was leagues ahead of anything on the DC. The friends and match making, easy of use on the  system better than anything on the PC too (at the time) MS spend millions on developing the system and it showed .

Of course it would be. But  it was based on ideas that Sega had and implemented with the DC and even the segasoft HEAT.net service. You just have to see the promo promoting the xbox live service and see it was a rip off of the DC online US ad. If you're saying its better i wouldn't diagree. but if you are saying Microsoft wasn't using the DC and even the Saturn as a basis of their ideas for the XBOX system then i would disagree.

It all started to go wrong in the 32 bit age. Trying to develope for and support 2 different 32 bit consoles as well as supporting the Game Gear, Mega Drive and Arcades spread SEGA too thin and as a result SEGA lost marketshare, 3rd parties and loads of money and sadly that's to blame
32x was an add on not a console. while i agree with the gist of it i think what really did them in was the infighting between the companies and not focusing on the big picture by making a success of the saturn internationally. If they had been focused the fiasco with the Saturn's game dev and release schedule and not releasing certain titles as well as the DC's initial development debacle would never have happened which wasted much needed cash reserves.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2013, 08:29:43 am by ROJM »

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2013, 03:58:52 am »
Peter Moore did more? LOL

Where he did . The man that got the DC to shift the most Hardware, the most software and the man that didn't want SEGA to stop production of the DC, the man that pushed the DC On-line features the most .
All the DC best selling software sales came from the USA not Japan or the joke that was the DC in Europe .

strange i thought that was Atari's honour

Console with a Modem built in as standard belongs to the Pippin, not Atari.

You just have to see the promo promoting the xbox live service and see it was a rip off of the DC online US ad.

X-Box LIVE was nothing like DC Online for a whole host of reasons not least running P2P instead of Dictated services. MS Spend millions a years developing LIVE and it showed . At the time LIVE was ahead of anything on the consoles and PC .

One area quite a lot of people ripped off SEGA Japan and the DC  was in having classic download service.

32x was an add on not a console

It was less of an add on and more of its own console . And it split SEGA development and marketing Budgets , that with also trying to support a Handheld, the MD and Arcade was asking for trouble

If they had been focused the fiasco with the Saturn's game dev and release schedule and not releasing certain titles as well as the DC's

And we can thank the 32X for that . Saturn came some 6 years after the MD launched in Japan. With out the 32X in the West you would have had the likes of Star Wars, Doom, VR Delux Ect all to go along with Panzer, VF, Daytona USA (that's more enough for launch software)
 and I doubt the Saturn would have been rushed out either (after the 32X started to see massive drops in sales) 

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Nameless 24

• Shocktrooper at Heart
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:28 am »
Errr no. I meant that they were experienced in the realities of life than the virgin mary ever was. The kim Kadasian bit is Sega's desire to work with companies that is wel;l known in order to make themselves look good for publicity's sake.If sega didn't build a 16 bit when they did we'd wouldn't be enjoying the likes of the revelation of the PS4 and the other current systems. Left it to Nintendo, well look at the Wii. Being first wasn't there downfall, being disorganised was.

The way you worded it sounded like a completely different meaning dude, but if you say so.

I never said that it was a bad thing that SEGA did that, just that they handled the tail end of that generation wrongly.

But they were first, on every console since the Mega Drive...so it is, up to a point a correct statement. Disorganisation was a part of it, but look at Sony and Nintendo, who've also took a mis-step in the past so I wouldn't put that down on SEGA alone.
Big fan of Claymore, Miria in particular.

Currently playing Yakuza 0.