Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?  (Read 71779 times)

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2014, 08:47:41 am »
The VC PC port was rumored for as long as one year ago, when did the campaign begin for PC ports?

Almost a year ago.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2014, 08:55:56 am »
You can get SA2 and nearly every other Sonic title for really low prices in bundles. I bought this bundle when it dropped to $14.99: http://store.steampowered.com/sub/26498/

It's over $100 now though :P

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2014, 09:10:15 am »
Almost a year ago.

Then i can't see this petition having any influence on Sega porting VC to PC..

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2014, 09:15:02 am »
Found it... Never mind, beat me to it.

The guy doing the petition is certainly passionate about this. Don't blame him, that stunt probably got him an extra signature or two.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2014, 09:32:13 am »
Then i can't see this petition having any influence on Sega porting VC to PC..

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2014, 10:45:55 am »
I think the movement played a part, though I personally think a PC port of VC was in the works before the petition. Whether the petition saved the PC port from being cancelled, or moved it along faster, remains to be seen - but is a possibility.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2014, 11:09:51 am »
Most late Sega PC ports were either on a system that was easy to program in the first place(Billy hatcher on Gamecube) or where multiplatform, and used a version that was easier to program as a porting template(Viking on the 360/PS3).

VC is a PS3 only thing, and is a JRPG strategy. 2 rather imposing genres on a platform that was hated by most programmers(at first anyway) due to its over engineered complexity. VC is probably the hardest one of the listed games in the original petition to port for that reason. That is more or less why it is a surprise to most people.

But yes, as you say, it may not have been responsible for the port, but could have had a positive effect on it.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2014, 11:13:16 am »
If it has to do with the petition, then it could be that the initiative came directly from Sega West. They did after all react quickly to a Miku localization, Miku Vita port and also the Binary Domain port.

Or SoJ really is just PC happy right now. The World End Eclipse also isn't purely mobile with getting a Vita and PC version.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2014, 11:29:49 am »
If it has to do with the petition, then it could be that the initiative came directly from Sega West. They did after all react quickly to a Miku localization, Miku Vita port and also the Binary Domain port.

This would make a bit more sense, seeing as that Typing of the Dead overkill was also a western initiative. While Sega west itself didn't make the proposal or develop the game, it was they who eventually green-lit modern dream(former blitz games) to finish the build to an apparent successful launch/post launch.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2014, 11:36:05 am »
I'm not sure how much it played on SEGA's decision, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did play a part in making their decision on the main reason. I don't have the contacts like I use to confirm but I am hopeful SEGA will listen to Virtua Fighter etc if Valkyria Chronicles is successful.

Found it... Never mind, beat me to it.

The guy doing the petition is certainly passionate about this. Don't blame him, that stunt probably got him an extra signature or two.

He actually replied in this very topic haha, he's a member of our forums.

Offline Trippled

« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2014, 11:41:04 am »
It's strange that Sega reacts quickly to certain things like Miku and this, but as far as Yakuza and Shenmue goes on, not much is going on.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2014, 11:49:17 am »

Offline George

• Total Meseta: 668
    • http://www.segabits.com/
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2014, 11:54:48 am »
I see this as the last beacon of old SEGA PC ports. No idea how Viking or Binary Domain did, but if this tanks hard say no-no to Vanquish, Bayonetta and of course Daisy Fuentes Pilates.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2014, 11:58:06 am »
Binary didn't do so hot last time I checked, though Viking might've done decent.

Typing of the dead overkill was reportedly beyond Sega's initial expectations, and that game launched with basically no fanfare.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2014, 12:01:13 pm »
It's strange that Sega reacts quickly to certain things like Miku and this, but as far as Yakuza and Shenmue goes on, not much is going on.

It makes me feel it's more a coincidence than listening to fans. They can play up the 'We listen!' afterwards.
I see this as the last beacon of old SEGA PC ports. No idea how Viking or Binary Domain did, but if this tanks hard say no-no to Vanquish, Bayonetta and of course Daisy Fuentes Pilates.

I just hope they have realistic targets for a game that came out eleven years ago and that everyone played and finished twelve times being ported to PC. At the same time, I wonder how much manpower and time went into the port, they may well need some pretty hefty numbers for them to feel this is worth their time.

I was going to say that they should release more recent games too, but then remembered Sega hasn't published many good games recently anyway.