Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?  (Read 84509 times)

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
Re: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?
« Reply #75 on: October 29, 2014, 10:17:04 pm »
Sega developers were never a problem with the saturn. I called out 3rd parties for that reason. A large part of why the PS1 became so popular other than being cheaper, is because it was easy to develop for. Sega had terrible development tools early on in the Saturn's life, and by the time they fixed this, everyone was rushing into Sony's arms. You state correctly, that the PS1 basically drowned the Saturn, but there is a reason that the PS1 did so.

The PS1 sold more in 2 days than the Saturn did in 5 months. The Saturn is an absolutely amazing coding machine all things considered, a real hacker machine, but Sega just botched up the system with poor developer documentation, high price and the knee jerk 2 CPU decision.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2014, 04:36:15 am »
Sega developers were never a problem with the saturn. I called out 3rd parties for that reason. A large part of why the PS1 became so popular other than being cheaper, is because it was easy to develop for. Sega had terrible development tools early on in the Saturn's life, and by the time they fixed this, everyone was rushing into Sony's arms. You state correctly, that the PS1 basically drowned the Saturn, but there is a reason that the PS1 did so.

The PS1 sold more in 2 days than the Saturn did in 5 months. The Saturn is an absolutely amazing coding machine all things considered, a real hacker machine, but Sega just botched up the system with poor developer documentation, high price and the knee jerk 2 CPU decision.

Apples and oranges..Sega is the focus here because its their games that are being ported to PC not anyone else's. Like i said PD was a game that was complicated to port..and a few other big Sega games that have been ported have not been that simple to transfer over. You are corect of course when its who is put in charge of the porting..whether its a talented coding team or an experienced one..or a novice.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2014, 04:37:40 am »
Actually, the Saturn's design wasn't as stupid as it seems in retrospect. Dual processors was a very familiar concept to Sega developers - theyd been doing that in the arcades for years and years. Quads are a rational geometric form to use as a 3D building block, 2D was still doing great in 1994, 3D was still very crude, and having the dev kits in assembly was the industry standard in 1994. The only reason Saturn seems like a hot mess is the Playstation outsold it 10 to 1. If Saturn had been a success, the Playstation would seem crude and infantile in retrospect. The only thing the PS actually had a leg up on is transparencies, and by 1998, Sonic Team seemed to have programmed around that, too.

And by 98 it was too late. But yeah Sega has always based some of their systems on their arcade tech...

Offline jonboy101

• Total Meseta: 9
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2014, 06:14:09 am »

In America? I should say so. The 32X, a 400 dollar price point and pissing off half the retailers will do that. The system architecture playing anything other than a small part is hyperbole. The Dreamcast was Sega bending over backward to make it easy to develop for and the PS2 was a genuine bitch, and we see how that wound up.

Sega's development tools were standard in 1994/1995. In the USA they weren't terrible - they were late to update them because of the surprise launch and corporate arrogance. They're terrible in comparison to a standard created by a rival, not in comparison to convention.

Again, assembly was industry standard. It's not like they were demanding developers learn something new, except programming for the 2nd CPU. But, if I'm not mistaken, most huckster 3rd parties ignored that aspect of the architecture anyway.

Anyway, we are sliding way off topic. Ill stop there.

I would like to see Dragon Force, Guardian Heroes, Rez and an updated Daytona.

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2014, 06:24:00 am »
I was to ask the people who played the Playstation 3 version:

Is it fair to say that Valkyria Chronicles is a spiritual sucessor to Shining Force? Or rather, do the gameplay mechanics feel more line with that classic SRPG franchise?

Offline ROJM

« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2014, 06:44:17 am »
Naw..Sega made plenty of SRPGs in the past.

Offline TimmiT

• Total Meseta: 8
    • Sonic Retro
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2014, 07:12:24 am »
Everyone had to recreate games on the saturn for multi platform purposes. 3D Realms, Activision ect...were all having to host 2 different versions of the same engine. That was not over engineered, that was just stupid design on Sega's part with the saturn for Knee jerking. Pretty big difference.

Anyway...time to isolate the potential porting houses

Sega Hardlight(Viking)
Devil's Details are finally open for work again(Gens, Binary Domain)
Blit Software(Jet set Radio, Sonic CD)
Modern Dream if they are still taking work(Typing of the dead Overkill)

I get the feeling I'm missing one.
Modern Dream is busy working on their own game (LA Cops), it's a very small studio so I wouldn't count on them doing the PC port. IIRC Devil's Details closed some time ago.

SEGA could also be doing the port in-house. Like the most recent ports of Sonic Adventure 2 and NiGHTS Into Dreams were done by SEGA China.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2014, 08:10:15 am »
I was to ask the people who played the Playstation 3 version:

Is it fair to say that Valkyria Chronicles is a spiritual sucessor to Shining Force? Or rather, do the gameplay mechanics feel more line with that classic SRPG franchise?

Not... really. I mean, it's an SRPG so it's got some similarities, but I wouldn't say it's very similar to Shining Force in any other way apart from having a tactical map and being turn based.

It's closer to things like X-Com, Silent Storm and Jagged Alliance if you are familiar with those games. Squad based, turn based strategy, mainly concerned with long range combat.

Even beyond those games, you can do things like manual aiming & sniping, and also command and drive tanks. You've got 'buffs' and the like through 'orders', so things like 'Take Cover!' will give you a temporary defense boost etc.

It's really quite unique feeling, George mentioned earlier it's similar to Xcom and the like, but even so it feels quite different.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2014, 09:04:55 am »
Modern Dream is busy working on their own game (LA Cops), it's a very small studio so I wouldn't count on them doing the PC port. IIRC Devil's Details closed some time ago.

Are you sure? Their site is still up, granted it hasn't been updated in forever.

And yes, you reminded me, I knew I was missing one porting house in Sega China.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2014, 12:02:45 pm »
Hate to double post, but VC is up on Steam for Pre-order
http://store.steampowered.com/app/294860/

As predicted, the Requirements are really nothing to be concerned about

Processor: Intel Core2 Duo @ 2.0GHz (or equivalent)
    Memory: 1 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTS 240 (or equivalent)
    Hard Drive: 25 GB available space

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2014, 12:08:53 pm »
Ohhhh 10% off if you pre-order... nice price of $20 too.

Now to wait for it to go 75%  >:D >:D >:D >:D

EDIT:
It looks like it's releasing on Remembrance Day too.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2014, 12:46:31 pm »
Someone on GAF mentioned that VC apparently was on the Steam Database as far back as 7 months ago. At least in name.

https://steamdb.info/sub/41919/apps/

EDIT: It's currently the #22 top selling game on Steam atm
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 12:55:39 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2014, 12:59:48 pm »
Someone on GAF mentioned that VC apparently was on the Steam Database as far back as 7 months ago. At least in name.

https://steamdb.info/sub/41919/apps/

EDIT: It's currently the #22 top selling game on Steam atm

Not bad, especially considering the Halloween sale is on.

Gaff is also already complaining that the game isn't 1080. A fair complaint I guess. You would expect unlocked framerate and 1080p+ for PC ports.

Offline JRcade19

« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2014, 01:08:03 pm »
Just went up to #19

Edit: https://twitter.com/SEGA/status/527882885282689025

Valkyria supports 720p / 1080p, as well as higher resolutions depending on your max monitor resolution. 60FPS supported as well.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 01:10:46 pm by JRcade19 »

Offline MadeManG74

• Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2014, 01:12:44 pm »
Thank you based Sega.