Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269728 times)

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #390 on: September 05, 2010, 09:06:24 pm »
Chao man.. i miss Chao..
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #391 on: September 05, 2010, 11:11:40 pm »
Quote from: "Sega Uranus"
Story wise, Chao were meant to be protected and saved from a larger force that they could not stop on their own. This is not very different from the tiny friends from the original games if you think about it.
I'm talking about the entire Chao garden set up, breeding, racing, evolving, collecting toys and such... It was far less Sonicy then this Co-op mode.

Sonic Adventure was designed to be different and removed from the whole series anyways, Sonic Colors is supposed to be a return to before that, like they constantly say.
I'm pretty sure they have said in interview that this is a Sonic game aimed more at the children market then the previous games... It clearly isnt supposed to be a 'main' Sonic game as it would be on all consoles.

This one is aimed at kids and the Wii market...

I do not know why you are bringing up the Chao anyways, that was supposed to bring in new fans who could not play action games, this co-op stuff is just an extra unlockable that they think current fans will enjoy.
I'm bringing it up to prove that new and un-sonic like things have been added to the series before and been a great sucsess.

Again those are the weakest attempts at 'puzzles' I ever saw, the guy who played it had a hard time because of the holes and time limits.

And if I were to make flash games I would not make shitty ones. Look on a site like Newgrounds or something, all of the laziest flash games have that kind of level design, color scheme and sound quality.

Again, this is probably all very low level stuff... teaching you how to play and so on. The music sounds great and frankly I think the levels look fine for something that really didn't need to be made at all to sell the game but I feel will go down well with fans and kids alike.

I look forward to your multiplayer co-op flash game that is better then the one in Sonic Colours... Better get flashing!
Made by SEGA

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #392 on: September 05, 2010, 11:32:26 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
I'm talking about the entire Chao garden set up, breeding, racing, evolving, collecting toys and such... It was far less Sonicy then this Co-op mode.

It was designed around making different kinds of fans, which is why it was like that. Also, outside of the fishing the Chao stuff was literally the worst received feature in the game, and while I liked it in the second game, I am pretty sure everyone who liked the game would have preferred they just made more normal levels instead. A very large portion of the development of Sonic Adventure 2 was based around the Chao stuff, it could have been a much bigger game without it. In Sonic Colors case, they could have made whole new acts. Because you have to unlock them it kind of removes the point of kids playing a game together.

Still, Chao Garden was a different gameplay mode anyways, this is the same kind, but co-op, and with a new style. In something like Sonic Adventure, the goals were different but the style remained the same throughout.

I'm pretty sure they have said in interview that this is a Sonic game aimed more at the children market then the previous games... It clearly isnt supposed to be a 'main' Sonic game as it would be on all consoles.

It is not a main game, but Iizuka says it is and the entire fanbase will treat it as such. What does it matter anyways? Sonic Free Riders is a spinoff that plays and looks nothing like any other Sonic game (outside of the Riders releases...), it is not like saying because it is all aimed at a different audience is that it should be seen in a better light.

Again, this is probably all very low level stuff... teaching you how to play and so on. The music sounds great and frankly I think the levels look fine for something that really didn't need to be made at all to sell the game but I feel will go down well with fans and kids alike.

Fair enough points. I really can never agree on the level design though, it is some of the worst I ever saw in years. It is all extra, but it does effect the overall quality of the game. I agree to disagree on this.

I look forward to your multiplayer co-op flash game that is better then the one in Sonic Colours... Better get flashing!

I never agreed to any of this.

I challenge you to review Iron Man 2. You have to do it now because I said so and if you do not then all of your opinions are not fair.

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #393 on: September 05, 2010, 11:43:45 pm »
Why are you bashing the chao's? They were totally optional and nothing forced you to raise them.

If you ask me, the chao's have kept me busy a lot after I finished the games and I friggin enjoyed raising them, let them compete with others.

If you hate chao's, fine, but their not gamebreakers so there's no reason in getting worked up and bashing them.

Let's say they return in future games, why would that be such a problem?

About the co-op thing:

Basically what sharky said
 "the levels look fine for something that really didn't need to be made at all to sell the game"

We can stop right there. Nobody even expected a co-op or even a 2 player mode. So even if you don't like the addition, at least it's there. Maybe in the next game i'd understand you more but now, it's all more extra for me :D

And I know i'm gonna enjoy it with my bro's. As other said, the music's really nice. The gripe I have is when you use a color move that theme song interferes, ugh. It's werehog battle theme all over again, only less anoying

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #394 on: September 06, 2010, 04:13:47 am »
Quote from: "CrazyTails"
Why are you bashing the chao's? They were totally optional and nothing forced you to raise them.

If you ask me, the chao's have kept me busy a lot after I finished the games and I friggin enjoyed raising them, let them compete with others.

If you hate chao's, fine, but their not gamebreakers so there's no reason in getting worked up and bashing them.

Let's say they return in future games, why would that be such a problem?

I did not even begin to say I hated them, just that I would have preferred in the end if there were just more levels instead. Especially in the second game it kept me busy for a long time, but Sonic Team DID spend a lot of development time and budget on those when they could have just made more normal levels instead.

It is the same issue with the co-op stuff in Colors really. They could have made more acts to the zones or something, but they did this instead. It is not a major issue, but they need to get their priorities straightened out before they attempt more gameplay concepts again, remember it was a major part of their downfall!

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #395 on: September 06, 2010, 06:02:54 am »
True, yea I agree with you in that regard. I kind of jumped to conclusions just reading some of your stuff. I apologize for that.

I aknowledge the flaws in both sonic adventure 1 and 2. But back than when I was still around the age of 13, 14. I had a blast in getting all the emblems and competing in chao races. It was kind of mindless going to each stage, quickly get some recources, exit the stage and give them to chao so theyre stats went up.. but it really gave you something to come back and replay the game. And it was fun. At least for me it was.

The truth is we we will never know how an optional addition does or does not ruin a game or how an addition damages an aspect of the game. You can always say, ow damn they added new stuff, they should have polished the core gameplay but maybe the product would have turned out the same without it.

It's not like any developer would think, let's keep this addition out or else people are going to think we didn't polish the game. That would be weird

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #396 on: September 06, 2010, 07:16:28 am »

I did not even begin to say I hated them, just that I would have preferred in the end if there were just more levels instead. Especially in the second game it kept me busy for a long time, but Sonic Team DID spend a lot of development time and budget on those when they could have just made more normal levels instead.
There is no way in hell I would prefer more levels over the Chao gardens.

They took a gamble, and they succeeded. I think it's stupid for a developer to play it safe when they have potentially good ideas.

The coop is a nice addition, there for who wants it. And if it plays good thats all that really matters. It's just an extra..

..and I thought I was the conservative one.
SEG4GES

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #397 on: September 06, 2010, 07:57:21 am »
It was designed around making different kinds of fans, which is why it was like that.

it is not like saying because it is all aimed at a different audience is that it should be seen in a better light.

Sonic Colours is aimed at making different kinds of fans... Even Iizuka has said so.

I never agreed to any of this.

I challenge you to review Iron Man 2. You have to do it now because I said so and if you do not then all of your opinions are not fair.

Ironman 2

Gameplay:
A rather straight forward affair with little in the way of veration, you can fly or run on the ground but both feel clunkle and poorly designed. Enemy AI is almost nonexistant.

Presentation:
Poor, dated looking visuals. Jaggies and low textures everywhere.

Sound:
Voice acting is done well but the music score isnt very memorable at all.

Lasting Appeal:
Diehard Ironman fans may get a couple of play thoughs but most will be done in 10 minuites.

4/10
Made by SEGA

Offline kozmo

• Total Meseta: 0
  • The key to victory on this cool course is patience
« Reply #398 on: September 06, 2010, 08:54:50 am »
Something that's perhaps been overlooked- the wiseguy robot's back and called "Orbot". This time he's got a counterpart.

Hmmm.....

Anyone taking bets on him being called Raster? That'd be sweet.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #399 on: September 06, 2010, 12:24:33 pm »
I have to admit, new gameplay video was a big disappointment in terms of layout and general game design, there seems to be a limited amount of platforming in the game so far, particularly it does seem more akin to Sonic Rush where boosting would help you get through the majority of the level and furthermore, there does seem a major amount of the game being played on autopilot and seems to restrict a lot of Sonic's control.

I realize that they do look cool, but taking away so much control from the player is never a good thing, I would quite like it if I can control Sonic more often, not after going into a sping I am launched by a ramp that lands me onto a grind rail that takes me to a pully and placing me on a speedbooster at the end of it.

The good things are there though, the level and going through it looks fantastic for a Wii title and I was glad to see that a one point, the player falling down did not quite mean instent death. Variation in the level design like this can only help the game and hopefully we will see more of the positives in the following weeks.

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #400 on: September 07, 2010, 03:31:22 pm »
"Less platforming"
Erm, it has 50% more platforming then Unleashed lol. Oh, and it has real difficulty and not bottomless pits.
When I last played Sonic Colors, I came away with the impression that Sega had taken all the good bits from Sonic Unleashed(HD), and left all the garbage behind. Having played yet more of the game, I see absolutely nothing to dissuade me from this opinion. Sonic Colors is still everything good about Sonic Unleashed, without the crap.

So, what is it that Sonic Colors is doing that previous 3D Sonic titles isn't? Part of the appeal is the removal of cheap pitfall deaths. One of the worst parts of previous Sonic games was the fact that the fast-moving hedgehog was expected to blitz along precariously thin platforms without any rails. The focus on death-plummeting appears to have been totally removed from Sonic Colors.

Without the reliance on pitfalls, Sega has worked harder on level design. One level involves Sonic having to run along a platform full of gutters, timing his approach to avoid gigantic missiles that regularly fly his way. Many sections of the game switch to a 2D perspective in the same seamless fashion that Sonic Unleashed(HD) did, only the platforming is much tighter and more fun to control.

The Wisps are a big part of that, conferring special abilities upon Sonic once collected. I got to play with new Wisps, such as the green one that transforms Sonic into a little ghost-like creature, but the yellow Wisp is still the star of the show. Being able to drill through levels is bizarrely satisfying and has yet to get old. We'll see how it fares in the full game, but right now it's pretty awesome.

Sonic Colors is looking like a potentially fantastic little game. Usually, 3D Sonic games manage one good stage before turning to trash. I've played about six or so stages and so far, they've all been fun. The transitions from 3D to 2D perspectives, the solid level design, the unique Wisp powers and the fact that it isn't a broken, cheap, lazily designed load of ***z is making Sonic Colors a serious prospect.
http://www.destructoid.com/

Guy on Sega couldn't link it(Language) So find it yourself.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #401 on: September 07, 2010, 04:59:36 pm »
Well that's refreshing. First time critics are fully satisfied since SA2?
SEG4GES

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #402 on: September 07, 2010, 06:14:34 pm »
Erm, SA1/SA2 were overrated. The remakes fixed the scores to something more fitting.

Actually, Critics LOVED the advance series and Rush series. All scoring in the 80+ range.

Offline Sega Uranus

• The SEGA Source
« Reply #403 on: September 07, 2010, 06:42:49 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
Erm, SA1/SA2 were overrated. The remakes fixed the scores to something more fitting.

Uhh... Not exactly. In the case of Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure DX, besides the problems known that I brought up before the base game was like what, 5 or 6 years old at the time? It had aged, it was not a "More fitting" score.

A lot of critics hated Sonic Adventure 2 when it came out as well, but I remember some bullshit rearing it's head like how IGN (I think) said the music was great 80s rock, and then a year later they said it was terrible 80s rock in the rerelease... wtf

As for Sonic Colors being a "Real challenge" lol, the reason no one dies in it because it is too easy and because SPEEDEE ACKSHUN should not be mixed with complicated platforming like in Sonic Unleashed. Did you even look at the co-op stuff? Tons of holes just in the first section of the first video... Speaking of which, did you play the HD versions of Unleashed? It had a much much much larger amount of platforming than the shitty Wii release did. Unless you really want to take the word of "Professional Game Reviewers" who make jokes in every news posts.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #404 on: September 07, 2010, 07:01:51 pm »
Reviewers enjoyed the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed more though. They are stupid.

But Autosaver you are just being pathetic. You call Sonic games that got 90+ overrated, but are just fine with 80+ portable games? Really?

The games were great. Yes, they started some trends that would be tiresome later on, but they were released with a style fitting for their time.
SEG4GES