Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 269713 times)

Offline Autosaver

• Total Meseta: 0
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #405 on: September 07, 2010, 07:07:54 pm »
Quote from: "crackdude"
Reviewers enjoyed the Wii version of Sonic Unleashed more though. They are stupid.

But Autosaver you are just being pathetic. You call Sonic games that got 90+ overrated, but are just fine with 80+ portable games? Really?

The games were great. Yes, they started some trends that would be tiresome later on, but they were released with a style fitting for their time.
Um... what?
I said it was overrated as I personally don't think that the game deserve a 90+. Come on, Big fishing, same levels repeated, Amy, shooting levels. Do you think Sonic Adventure deserves a 90+? It has a lot of the same problems modern Sonic games does.
And what does Dimps games that score 80+ have to do with anything? Its not like Sonic Rush Adventure was released and then critics start slamming it like no tomorrow.

And like Sega Uranus said. That is some messed up stuff saying that the game is good. And then reviewed again in a port, saying that the game is awful.

As for Sonic Colors being a "Real challenge" lol, the reason no one dies in it because it is too easy and because SPEEDEE ACKSHUN should not be mixed with complicated platforming like in Sonic Unleashed. Did you even look at the co-op stuff? Tons of holes just in the first section of the first video... Speaking of which, did you play the HD versions of Unleashed? It had a much much much larger amount of platforming than the shitty Wii release did. Unless you really want to take the word of "Professional Game Reviewers" who make jokes in every news posts.
...Um, I own both versions. If you call air boosting over platform sections real platforming. I guess.  And you know, I never mention SU Wii. Don't mention it, it can stay in the dust pile.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »

Offline crackdude

• Total Meseta: 64
  • Nintendo Bling
« Reply #406 on: September 07, 2010, 07:26:19 pm »
Yes I do. Because I was there. Back in 1999 playing it. And NO ONE complained about jack shit! The game was mind-blowing when it came out. That's what matters. Of course on today's standards it's a bit rubbish, but so are most games before it.

Of course when they released a remake of a 5 year old game the scores dropped. Were you expecting a miracle?
If Half-Life 2 was re-released today with the barebones graphics of the original Xbox for 70 bucks, it would be panned as well.
SEG4GES

Offline Orta

• Total Meseta: 5
« Reply #407 on: September 07, 2010, 07:36:03 pm »
People complained about the camera, but nothing particularly major. The issue just blew out of proportion after the Gamecube versions came out.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #408 on: September 07, 2010, 07:52:35 pm »
People liked fishing with Big and stuff when the game came out believe it or not. Honestly the biggest complaints I heard of back in the day were for the adventure fields.

Sonic Adventure was great for it's time, it has aged poorly, but most games do. The original trilogy has aged extremely well IMHO for instance.

And on the platforming sense, I was talking about how the levels were much larger, specifically the werehog which was half platforming.

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #409 on: September 07, 2010, 07:53:45 pm »
Yes I do. Because I was there. Back in 1999 playing it. And NO ONE complained about jack shit! The game was mind-blowing when it came out. That's what matters. Of course on today's standards it's a bit rubbish, but so are most games before it.

Of course when they released a remake of a 5 year old game the scores dropped. Were you expecting a miracle?
If Half-Life 2 was re-released today with the barebones graphics of the original Xbox for 70 bucks, it would be panned as well.

Oh no! It was mind blowing when it came out!
You're ignoring everything. I wish Iconoclast was here. :/
I know that the game may have been sparkling when it came out. But then take out those sparkling eyes and look at the game truly. I honestly think that SA/SA2 both have issues that are overlooked. People treat the games like god. Yes, it may be good for its time. But then you notice today that the game was pretty dreadful. The graphics,controls,gameplay. The Dreamcast could do better then that. (SA2 showed much of an improvement)

Oh, Half Life 2 rereleased? Um... Since when did Half Life 2 have gameplay that people wanted to burn the game? People still play Half Life 2 and still regard it as one of the best games. Orange box cough

TL;DR
It was OMG when it came out. Today, it has just as much problems as recent games.

And don't get me wrong, I loved Sonic's gameplay.

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #410 on: September 07, 2010, 08:25:13 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"

Oh no! It was mind blowing when it came out!
You're ignoring everything. I wish Iconoclast was here. :/
I know that the game may have been sparkling when it came out. But then take out those sparkling eyes and look at the game truly. I honestly think that SA/SA2 both have issues that are overlooked. People treat the games like god. Yes, it may be good for its time. But then you notice today that the game was pretty dreadful. The graphics,controls,gameplay. The Dreamcast could do better then that. (SA2 showed much of an improvement)

Oh, Half Life 2 rereleased? Um... Since when did Half Life 2 have gameplay that people wanted to burn the game? People still play Half Life 2 and still regard it as one of the best games. Orange box cough

TL;DR
It was OMG when it came out. Today, it has just as much problems as recent games.

And don't get me wrong, I loved Sonic's gameplay.
What the bloody fuck are you talking about! Are you even reading your own replies?

The only things that matter is how good the game was WHEN IT CAME OUT. That's the time it was made for! The game wasn't made to be played in 2010, it was made to be played in 1998.
The game as aged mildly at best, but that doesn't make it a bad game at all!

Are you going to say that Doom is a shit game cause today Modern Warfare is better? Of course not!

Your line of logic makes no sense at all. I'm not ignoring anything.

I bet the release that is coming to XBLA will get very low scores, because it is a poor game by today's standards. But looking back at it's time, it was the best. That's what makes it a great classic.

(also, recheck that I mentioned specifically the original Xbox version of HL2. Which was considered good in 2005 and is today considered a bucket of crap. ..it's not a bad game because of that)
SEG4GES

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #411 on: September 07, 2010, 08:26:19 pm »
Quote from: "Orta"
People complained about the camera, but nothing particularly major. The issue just blew out of proportion after the Gamecube versions came out.

With 9/9 around the corner, I've been rereading a lot of my old mags reviewing the DC launch titles and I can tell y'all that Sonic Adventure was given heaps of love. Like Orta said, the camera was the one issue and that wasn't a biggie to reviewers as 3D platforming in general was still a new thing, especially platformers at the speeds of Sonic.

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #412 on: September 07, 2010, 08:53:05 pm »
The only things that matter is how good the game was WHEN IT CAME OUT. That's the time it was made for! The game wasn't made to be played in 2010, it was made to be played in 1998.
The game as aged mildly at best, but that doesn't make it a bad game at all!

Are you going to say that Doom is a shit game cause today Modern Warfare is better? Of course not!

Ugh no, people still play DOOM and love it. And most people I know think COD is crap.

You do know that SA was one of my first 3D games ever? I still didn't like half the gameplay..

Are we still rambling over the fact I think SA was really overrated when it came out?

Offline crackdude

• Nintendo Bling
« Reply #413 on: September 07, 2010, 09:05:09 pm »
Yes. Still, Doom's gameplay is crippled at best! You can't aim, you can't jump, you can't see anything but pixels, you get motion sickness, the level design is horrible, the enemies follow predetermined paths, the sound is pathetic, the story is shallow, online play is choppy ...
Still, it's a great game. Because WHEN IT CAME OUT it was incredible! Same thing with Sonic Adventure. If released today it's shit. Back then it was the shit. The reviews didn't get overrated with time. That's nonsense.

And yes. The fact that you didn't like it doesn't mean it was overrated. Most people enjoyed it, as well as reviewers.
SEG4GES

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #414 on: September 07, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »
Sonic Colours so far does not have more platforming than Sonic Unleashed, unless you are talking about the Wii version, which is not hard to do. Sonic Colours has about similar or a little less platforming than Sonic Unleashed, especially when you count the extra stages in the HD version.

One thing Sonic Colours is is that it is easier, since it's aimed at children more so.

And Sonic Adventure still has good control and graphics. I am not sure how you can claim the controls are bad when I would say the controls are superior to that of Sonic Unleashed.

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
« Reply #415 on: September 07, 2010, 10:16:31 pm »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
Yes, it may be good for its time. But then you notice today that the game was pretty dreadful. The graphics,controls,gameplay. The Dreamcast could do better then that. (SA2 showed much of an improvement)

I am sorry, but why do you not understand the concept of aging? The whole reason we as a species have been able to improve is because we learn and improve on things and are able to get eachother better tools. Concepts, genres and hardware are improved with time when it comes to games all the same. Just because the game was not fun to you in like, what? 2005? Does not mean it should be considered shit, you have to appreciate it for the time it came out. I mean, are you one of those people who say all black and white movies suck because you were born later or some nonsense?

Sonic Adventure 2 obviously showed an improvement on a lot of things because the team was working on the platform for years then and were able to push it much much further, obviously. Next are you going to be surprised that big houses take more time to build then small houses?

A lot of us actually do like Sonic Adventure 2 more. I loved a lot of stuff it did more, like how it took a higher consideration of your score than ever in the series, stuff like that. However, to just say it is plain better in every way is just an opinion. It has a lot of issues, the first game never had a level as bad as Mad Space, how your jumps would "End" before you hit the ground so sometimes you would get hurt accidentally, how rolling is even more useless and not even possible by most of the characters or how when there were far less loops and they "Pulled" you through them, something which was not fixed until the HD version of Unleashed, not that it matters now anymore because you can boost!

Anyways, I am not sure you can understand most of this because you do not really know what you are talking about. Do you realize Sonic Adventure (and Soul Calibur, as a matter of fact) had much better graphics in 1998 than every single PlayStation 2 game until Jak and Daxter, which was released in in 2001? And even that is really close. That is a three year difference! That is completely unheard of in today's games. Have some respect dammit!

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #416 on: September 08, 2010, 05:53:50 am »
Look, the fact is that Bayonetta is the best Sonic game since Sonic Spinball stole our hearts and wallets alike back in 2001.

I swear, you guys...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #417 on: September 08, 2010, 07:34:44 am »
All this talk of Sonic Adventure makes me want to have a Dreamcast marathon tomorrow. Oh wait... I AM!

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #418 on: September 08, 2010, 03:39:09 pm »
DOOM doesn't have a lot of features, who cares?
Black and White movies don't have color. Who cares?
People still play Mario 64. And its older then SA. Heck, it even got an enhanced remake. OOT is old too. Yet, its STILL praised as the best game ever. Sonic Adventure...?

I honestly don't know how people thought Big was fun.
I think the problem is that I'm just not seeing it. Playing the ported version doesn't help. (Then SA2) I just don't have the same eyes as you do.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #419 on: September 08, 2010, 03:58:43 pm »
I enjoyed Big at the time because it was a goofy side-story featuring a character who was the exact opposite of what Sonic is. He only had 4 stages and one boss fight, and only took 45 minutes to complete his story, so really it hardly affected how I thought of the game after the complete playthrough. Also, I appreciated a change of pace to take in the (at the time) awesome graphics.

Nowadays I never play Big stages, but that's the great thing! I can still boot up SA1 and play it today, and can completely skip the parts I find boring.