Author Topic: Sonic Colours Discussion  (Read 225950 times)

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Re: Sonic Colours announced for Wii/DS
« Reply #750 on: November 10, 2010, 09:24:34 am »
Quote from: "jonboy101"
IGN gave it an 8.5, praising the visuals, soundtracks and script Sharky.

They actually also go on to call it the best sonic game since 1992.
But I was talking about Game Trailers who seem to have already written the review before it even came out... The whole thing stinks of 'We already knew what we'd rate it/say about it.'

It almost reads like a 'how to review 3D Sonic games in 2010 handbook' that they simply plucked key phrases and punch lines out of it at random. Something that might have actually been suitable for every 3D Sonic game up until this point.

Like I've always said, I take the average score of all the big critic sites and then find the average. So this isn’t exactly a big deal really. But I think this shows that some critics have no idea what they are talking about when reviewing a Sonic game. Which is a shame because usually I think Game Trailers is pretty spot on.

@Mademan, Please give it a rest already... I liked Sonic 4, so did lots of people and lots of critics. I don't care if it is a joke... It's wearing pretty thin.

I found Mafia 2 was a pretty boring, half baked sandbox game... I didn't enjoy it when my friend and I played it at his place and neither of us could be bothered to finish it... But I didn't take every opportunity to rub it in your face or anything. So don't take every opportunity to rub my opinions in my face. Epically considering you haven't played Sonic 4 yet to my knowledge.

(mostly joking etc, except not.)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 pm by Guest »
Made by SEGA

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #751 on: November 10, 2010, 09:45:55 am »
To the game's defense, it has yet to receive a negative score, if a 6/10 is worst score available then it's safe to say that it is an overall improvement over past Sonic titles.

I hope I don't jinx it...

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Total Meseta: 713
  • Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #752 on: November 10, 2010, 09:56:11 am »
Quote from: "max_cady"
To the game's defense, it has yet to receive a negative score, if a 6/10 is worst score available then it's safe to say that it is an overall improvement over past Sonic titles.

I hope I don't jinx it...

SEGAbits leaked rating: F

kidding! kidding!

Offline fluffymoochicken

• Total Meseta: 0
« Reply #753 on: November 10, 2010, 11:48:54 am »
Kotaku discusses the broken motion capture of Sonic Free Riders:

I still think Sonic Free Riders for Kinect is a broken game. And I'm not alone. But it sounds like there is a whole other camp out there who haven't really had any problems with the game. So what gives?

In my review of Sonic Free Riders I talked about how completely unplayable the game was for me, I even showed how completely unplayable it was. The menus didn't work (Yes, I know you swipe down at an angle, not across), Kinect lost me in mid-race. It was a mess.

And I wasn't the only one with the issues. Hopping over to Metacritic I see that of the seven reviews listed (We don't use scores so we're not included), only Official Xbox Magazine and IGN gave the game a score above 70. Joystiq gave the game the lowest score, a 20, followed by GameTrailers, which gave it a 40. All of these reviews cite control issues for the low score.

But some readers in my review starting talking about how they didn't have any issues with the game. So I went to Totilo and asked him to try playing it, to see what his experience was like. To my surprise he said that the game's controls worked for him. He still found elements of it frustrating, but Kinect appeared to track him in-game. Baffling.

Sega, too, seems baffled. So baffled that they offered to fly me to their studios to play the game with them to see what was going on. I politely declined, but suggested they poll reviewers to see if there was some commonality among those that had control issues.

That's what I'm going to do here, but with those of you who have the game. Normally I wouldn't be so interested in why a game did poorly, but it sounds like this could be a bigger issue with Kinect, something that could have an impact on gamers and future games, so let's see if there is something to this.

We'll start:

Brian Crecente
Height: 5-foot-8
Weight: 140 pounds
Distance from Kinect: 8 feet
Experience: Despite time spent with the developers at Gamescom, no amount of timing or special execution made the Kinect see me at times.

Stephen Totilo
Height: 5-foot-6
Weight: 150
Distance from Kinect: 8 feet
Experience: Understanding the timing needed for executing key moves was neither intuitive nor physically comfortable, but the Kinect tracking did seem accurate.

We've contacted a half dozen or so other publications about their reviews to get their stats. If they're willing, we'll add their stats to this story as they come in. Now, if you have the game, go ahead and add your info to comments.

http://http://kotaku.com/5686311/is-sonic-free-riders-broken-or-is-it-the-reviewers

Metacritic link with very mixed reviews:

http://http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-free-riders

Offline CrazyT

• Total Meseta: 100
« Reply #754 on: November 10, 2010, 01:02:35 pm »
@^

Wrong thread?

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #755 on: November 10, 2010, 01:13:02 pm »
Quote from: "Sharky"
@Mademan, Please give it a rest already... I liked Sonic 4, so did lots of people and lots of critics. I don't care if it is a joke... It's wearing pretty thin.

I found Mafia 2 was a pretty boring, half baked sandbox game... I didn't enjoy it when my friend and I played it at his place and neither of us could be bothered to finish it... But I didn't take every opportunity to rub it in your face or anything. So don't take every opportunity to rub my opinions in my face. Epically considering you haven't played Sonic 4 yet to my knowledge.

(mostly joking etc, except not.)

It's got nothing to do with you liking Sonic 4, but the fact that you said 'It's cool to bash Sonic games' when Sonic 4's reviews were so positive. If you felt they judged Sonic 4 on it's own merits, why don't you believe that IGN is treating Sonic Colours the same way? I proabbly should have just said this instead of being a smart-arse. In any event most of the reviews for Sonic Colours seem quite good.

I'm sure both games are fine, Sonic Colours especially looks to be quite good. I'll play them both eventually probably, but at the moment I don't think I'll be buying either as there are a lot of other games I want to play first.

Shame you didn't like Mafia 2 though, I personally loved it! I also disagreed with some reviews that didn't give a great score, but overall it seemed to be well-recieved.

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #756 on: November 10, 2010, 01:14:29 pm »
The Green Hover Wisp theme reminds me of Phantasy Star Online hub music.

[youtube:vemfv1jg]oUb5cW7ypIw[/youtube:vemfv1jg]

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #757 on: November 10, 2010, 02:05:29 pm »
I thought the same thing when I heard it the first time. The wisp tunes are really nice. Never anoying but they actually add to the experience unlike a certain battle tune that played every second in a previous sonic game  

Sorry if someone liekd that tune :p

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #758 on: November 10, 2010, 02:17:53 pm »
Quote from: "MadeManG74"

It's got nothing to do with you liking Sonic 4, but the fact that you said 'It's cool to bash Sonic games' when Sonic 4's reviews were so positive. If you felt they judged Sonic 4 on it's own merits, why don't you believe that IGN is treating Sonic Colours the same way? I proabbly should have just said this instead of being a smart-arse. In any event most of the reviews for Sonic Colours seem quite good.

I'm sure both games are fine, Sonic Colours especially looks to be quite good. I'll play them both eventually probably, but at the moment I don't think I'll be buying either as there are a lot of other games I want to play first.

Shame you didn't like Mafia 2 though, I personally loved it! I also disagreed with some reviews that didn't give a great score, but overall it seemed to be well-recieved.

I'm talking about Game Trailers review, not IGNs. Had no problem with IGN. The problem with GTs review is that they completely shit on the game with complaints that no other reviewer had... They didn't mention a single one of it's high points like superb music or graphics for a Wii. In fact they gave presentation a 6/10... I mean common, really? It's probably the best looking Wii game yet.

The whole review just stinks.
Made by SEGA

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #759 on: November 10, 2010, 03:13:57 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvC7iFy ... r_embedded
[spoiler:naw6hbpy](SUPA SAWNIK)[/spoiler:naw6hbpy]
Can I burn my copies of HD/SD Sonic Unleashed now?

Offline Barry the Nomad

• Let's Post!
    • SEGAbits
« Reply #760 on: November 10, 2010, 08:33:21 pm »
DS version has cameos of Amy, Big, Blaze, Charmy, Cream, Espio, Knuckles, Omega, Rouge, Shadow, Silver, a chao and Vector.
http://board.sonicstadium.org/topic/743 ... m-chaotix/

Offline fluffymoochicken

« Reply #761 on: November 10, 2010, 08:42:48 pm »
Quote from: "Barry the Nomad"
DS version has cameos of Charmy
Yay!
Espio
Yay!
Silver
Yay!
Shadow
I'd say "blah", unless his appearance involves being cute and making out with the other hedgehog males, and in which case - Yay!

Overall, I'm glad that the expansive gallery of Sonic Friends is making a comeback! ^__^

Offline Autosaver

« Reply #762 on: November 10, 2010, 09:18:03 pm »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4xyWNqR ... re=related
(Boss battle theme)
Sonic Rush Adventure theme! Sega wasn't kidding around that Sonic Colors was going to be epic. They took the best music evar and made it bester. :)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #763 on: November 11, 2010, 06:00:57 am »
Quote from: "Autosaver"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnvC7iFyG5M&feature=player_embedded
[spoiler:35s8iad3](SUPA SAWNIK)[/spoiler:35s8iad3]
Can I burn my copies of HD/SD Sonic Unleashed now?

Oh my...

Offline CrazyT

« Reply #764 on: November 11, 2010, 08:27:53 am »
Joystiq, one of the biggest sonic 'haters', or so many claim.

Gave colo(u)rs a 8.0

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/11/10/sonic-colors-review/