Author Topic: Captain America: Super Soldier: Out this week, reviews and movie chat!  (Read 21777 times)

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
I meant current Gen under the current Marvel/Sega contract.

Well so far the best game under the "current" contract is THOR, DS version.

Offline Deefy

• Total Meseta: 6
  • SupporterOfSEGA & F.C.Internazionale
I got the game, PS3 version, this afternoon and I played the first three chapter...ummmh...
in general the title is how I expected, the overall quality, quite good specially if compared with things like THOR or Iron Man, graphically apart some flaw I'm favorably impressed, not that is remotely close to the state of the art but not bad, where can I find the weak points is in an excessive superficiality and futility of some situations and game mechanics, thing seen already in THOR, although I must say that the battle system is quite deep and satisfying, at least for now.
SEGA STYLE

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
A lot of the reviews I've read have, have indeed pointed that it's a pretty shallow title, exploration is pretty linear, despite all things, the acrobatics seems to be PoP for Dummies.

Eurogamer was surprisingly forgivable of some of it's flaws despite it's 5/10 review.

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Total Meseta: 1
  • Loving Life
I honestly can't express how excited I am to play this game. It really has become one of my most anticipated games of this year. :)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline ROJM

Well I think the question is whether this was geared towards seasoned gamers or casuals who would pick up the title just for the movie and they don't want a complicated game. From playing it a bit, it resides in the middle of like most of the new Sega Marvel games, good ideas just not enough time to complete them. But its too early for me to give my final call on this game.

Offline Ben

Am I missing something? Why is everyone getting so excited for a licensed game by Sega?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2011, 04:26:56 pm by -nSega54- »

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
Am I missing something? Why is everyone getting so excited for a licensed game?

I can't speak for everyone else, but personally I feel the game will be a lot of fun. All the gameplay demos I've seen of it look really great. I also love the variety of the game's combat engine. That mixed with the platforming and little puzzle sections make it look like a lot of fun in my eyes. Picking up my copy of the game tomorrow morning, I'll give you my thoughts on it soon after. :)
Unlimited Continues:
http://unlimitedcontinues.wordpress.com/2012/08/18/favorite-five-video-game-ninjas/

For this edition of Unlimited Continues I share five of my favorite video game ninjas, three of which are SEGA characters!

Offline Sega Uranus

• Total Meseta: 8
  • Thank You For Playing ECCO ECCO ECCO
    • The SEGA Source
Am I missing something? Why is everyone getting so excited for a licensed game by Sega?

First of all, it is not "By SEGA".

Second, some of SEGA's licensed games are some of the best in the industry. Pretty much every Disney game they made on the Master System, Game Gear and Genesis consoles were masterpieces.

Lastly, some people like to play video games because they like video games and do not have a 90 average on Metacritic.

PS. I am not going to be getting this game.  :-[

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
I can't speak for everyone else, but personally I feel the game will be a lot of fun. All the gameplay demos I've seen of it look really great. I also love the variety of the game's combat engine. That mixed with the platforming and little puzzle sections make it look like a lot of fun in my eyes. Picking up my copy of the game tomorrow morning, I'll give you my thoughts on it soon after. :)

I do not want to dash your hopes, but even I entered with an open mind and was let down.

Offline Ben

Second, some of SEGA's licensed games are some of the best in the industry. Pretty much every Disney game they made on the Master System, Game Gear and Genesis consoles were masterpieces.

I was gaming during that era and, yes, those games on the Genesis were  great games ("Masterpieces" is going a bit far) but what does that have to do with this? Sega's recent track record with licensed games has been pretty poor and that's what matters here.

Lastly, some people like to play video games because they like video games and do not have a 90 average on Metacritic.

Yeah I'm one of those people, I love tons of games that average below 90....Don't see what that has to do with crappy licensed games like Iron Man 2 but there ya go.

Anyway, eh. I'm glad a Sega-branded licensed game aimed to be something better but I don't see why you guys expected miracles. The problem with licensed games is the limited amount of time the developers have to make them and the desire to bring in as many casual dollars as possible. Even the slightest complexity may put off the casual audience the company is aiming to attract. (People who don't play a lot of video games but saw a movie that they liked and wanted to "play" it.)

Offline max_cady

• Total Meseta: 14
I guess my excitement, so to speak, comes from the fact that Caps, out of all of the Marvel heroes, is my favorite of them all. The fact that it's also based it's template on Batman: Arkham Asylum is something that does indeed interest me.

But yes, I do concede that it's an average looking title, but as far as these latest Sega licensed titles, average is a step in the right direction, when all the others that came before this, were atrocious.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 03:56:13 am by max_cady »

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
Everyone should know by now that Cosmic Castaway is excited by everything, he wakes up in the morning excited to be alive.
Made by SEGA

Offline CosmicCastaway

• Loving Life
Everyone should know by now that Cosmic Castaway is excited by everything, he wakes up in the morning excited to be alive.

This is indeed true. :)
Unlimited Continues:

Offline ROJM

I was gaming during that era and, yes, those games on the Genesis were  great games ("Masterpieces" is going a bit far) but what does that have to do with this? Sega's recent track record with licensed games has been pretty poor and that's what matters here.

No it isn't, Masterpieces is the correct word because that's exactly what they are. There has not been a single Disney game since that era that can get close to the Illusion series and the Donald duck games not to mention the collaboration between Sega and Virgin with Aladdin.
I won't of course mention the genesis era Marvel games or even TAZMANIA and the LOONEY TUNES license, or POWER RANGERS either and of course the arcade versions of JURASSIC PARK, DRAGON BALL Z and ALIEN 3 during that period. Indeed as far as i'm concerned that was a golden age of Sega licensed games.

The only reason we could moan about the current Marvel games is really down to Simon Jeffery and his actions concerning these titles. However if we look at what Sega japan has done with recent licenses like giving the BLEACH license to designers Treasure and the recent inhouse Rambo arcade game as well as Arc System works version of FIST OF THE NORTH STAR when Sega had the license, you can see clearly that its not Sega as a whole that has lost the knack for giving out good licensed games, it was Jeffery giving out contracts to companies that weren't up to the job especially with the demands that he put some of them through. The only good thing Jeffery did with the license thing was getting ALIENS and giving one of the contracts to Gearbox. But he's gone now and Hayes is in charge so we will see if he can deliver a great licensed game when the opportunity comes along.

PS. I am not going to be getting this game.  :-[
Why not?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 07:19:39 am by ROJM »