Author Topic: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?  (Read 73492 times)

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
Re: Valkyria Chronicles coming to PC?
« Reply #210 on: November 12, 2014, 01:32:04 pm »
Yakuza could stand a chance to be honest considering when the Sony campaign started last year, it got noticed pretty well(although it seemed that nothing happened in regards to that).  I think to sell it, they may need to present it better...like say if 1&2 HD got ported, you'd have to re-translate 1 because that was a rather poor translation and keep the original Japanese tracks.

^I don't believe Sega would need to get in touch with Platinum for any reason to port Bayo/Vanquish (or even Anarchy Reigns, which I would like to see on PC). They wouldn't be required for porting duties, nor for any licensing etc.

Wouldn't it be better for them if not only because the Platinum engine already being made compatible on PC but also perception-wise due to the previous handling of Bayo PS3 port?  Granted, SEGA PC ports are usually well handled, but it might save costs and headaches.

Offline MadeManG74

• Total Meseta: 1327
  • Hot, Wild Vision
« Reply #211 on: November 12, 2014, 02:07:31 pm »
Wouldn't it be better for them if not only because the Platinum engine already being made compatible on PC but also perception-wise due to the previous handling of Bayo PS3 port?  Granted, SEGA PC ports are usually well handled, but it might save costs and headaches.

Not sure what you mean about the Platinum engine, but I do think that hiring P* to port the game would be overkill. I mean, the team that did such a great job with VC had nothing to do with the original developers or Canvas Engine (Did that engine ever get used for anything else? Or was it mothballed?) As for perception, I understand that Sega had to make that port in a ridiculously short amount of time? Sega has also proven themselves capable of PC porting now, so I don't think people would judge them by a years old PS3 port.

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #212 on: November 12, 2014, 02:13:24 pm »
I was trying to figure out why exactly VC did so well when apparently NiGHTS and JSRF didn't perform nearly as well despite being wonderful ports. I think that Sega just didn't make a big deal about them ( I had to check a few times to know NiGHTS even had a PC port), whereas VC had a push by the petitioners and the like.

Jet Set Radio actually did really well, it's NiGHTS that ended up selling under expectations that killed that movement off.

I'd also honestly advise against not releasing Valkyria Chronicles 2, despite it's fault, having missing games in a series always hurt them. Despite it not being as good as the original, I still think there is an audience for it on PC but IF SEGA decides to start porting Playstation Portable games on the platform and if it is successful and they entertain the idea of translating Valkyria Chronicles 3, it opens up titles like 7th Dragon. As we've seen from the likes of XSEED and Marvelous, Playstation Portable ports can great sellers on the platform.

SEGA though must treat it as a revenue stream rather than looking at initial sales, the beauty about the PC marketplace is games tend to keep selling long after the first month, something you can rarely say about console games.

Not sure what you mean about the Platinum engine, but I do think that hiring P* to port the game would be overkill. I mean, the team that did such a great job with VC had nothing to do with the original developers or Canvas Engine (Did that engine ever get used for anything else? Or was it mothballed?) As for perception, I understand that Sega had to make that port in a ridiculously short amount of time? Sega has also proven themselves capable of PC porting now, so I don't think people would judge them by a years old PS3 port.

Yeah Platinum Games was the reason that Playstation 3 port was so broken. Not to absolve SEGA of the blame but basically Platinum only had the game running for the Xbox 360 and didn't have the resources/wanted to get it out for the Playstation 3 so without SEGA's intervention there would be no Playstation 3 port.

Offline SuperSonicEX

• Total Meseta: 3
« Reply #213 on: November 12, 2014, 04:07:49 pm »

Well supposedly since they managed to put MGR:Revengeance on PC which uses the same engine as Vanquish and Bayo, the major work is already done...unless I'm perceiving that wrong.  I don't necessarily recall what went down with PS3 port, other than it was outsourced to Nex Entertainment, which is obviously not the PC/Shanghai team, but people still like to point that port in Bayo discussions last I checked.

Doesn't help that Platinum themselves call the port their greatest failure, plus I think they've said they want to avoid these kinds of situations again with their titles (not sure if that even matters in this case).

Jet Set Radio actually did really well, it's NiGHTS that ended up selling under expectations that killed that movement off.

I'd also honestly advise against not releasing Valkyria Chronicles 2, despite it's fault, having missing games in a series always hurt them. Despite it not being as good as the original, I still think there is an audience for it on PC but IF SEGA decides to start porting Playstation Portable games on the platform and if it is successful and they entertain the idea of translating Valkyria Chronicles 3, it opens up titles like 7th Dragon. As we've seen from the likes of XSEED and Marvelous, Playstation Portable ports can great sellers on the platform.

SEGA though must treat it as a revenue stream rather than looking at initial sales, the beauty about the PC marketplace is games tend to keep selling long after the first month, something you can rarely say about console games.

Yeah Platinum Games was the reason that Playstation 3 port was so broken. Not to absolve SEGA of the blame but basically Platinum only had the game running for the Xbox 360 and didn't have the resources/wanted to get it out for the Playstation 3 so without SEGA's intervention there would be no Playstation 3 port.

Huh, interesting to hear that NiGHTS was the one that failed, especially since it didn't have music licensing issues that JSR had.

I may be wrong on the PSP ports not being well-received on the PC platform, but I'm just worried about what move would beneficially to the franchise.  I'd like to see interest renewed and 3 localized if it all possible.  Mechanically speaking, apart from a few thing such as random drops for credits, VC2 is a solid game...the story/narrative itself was a major turn-off.  Though to be honest, being on the PSP platform itself didn't help when the game hit the Western market.

Can't seem to recall that part regarding the PS3 port...you know, I only often hear the Platinum side of these issues, I just don't know how much of it is true/spin/different viewpoints.  Again, not to absolve SEGA from fault on their own actions, but it does add some perspective. 

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #214 on: November 12, 2014, 08:25:45 pm »
It's back to No.1 on Steam again, but PES just released in UK so I don't know how long that'll last. It's No.2 on GMG finally pushed off the top spot by some shitty Final Fantasy game.

Maybe we should attempt another big push for #SEGAPCPorts now that VC came out... You know, strike while the iron is hot.
I wonder if Taro Yamada still posts here, we can organize another push...

Haven't seen him in a while... Haven't seen YOU in a while either!! Don't abandon us Riki
« Last Edit: November 12, 2014, 08:27:20 pm by Sharky »
Made by SEGA

Offline JRcade19

• Total Meseta: 6
« Reply #215 on: November 12, 2014, 09:42:55 pm »
Taro already posted clarifications on GAF. His sources confirm that the decision was made independent of the campaign.

My original source was mistaken, Valkyria Chronicles port's development actually began before before the #SEGAPCPorts campaign. While they were correct about Valkyria, they assumed that it was in response to the campaign. They never thought to ask if there were any other possible reasons and operated under the rather sensible notion that it would seem odd for SEGA to bring Valkyria to PC after all this time, unless to meet fan demand for such a port -- demand represented by #SEGAPCPorts.

I've since verified with multiple sources closer to the project that development did indeed begin before our campaign. Meaning we had little to no role in the decision to port Valkyria to PC. I was conflicted about discussing this publicly, mostly because I felt it may hurt morale and as such negatively impact the campaign.

Offline ROJM

• Total Meseta: 31
« Reply #216 on: November 13, 2014, 03:39:45 am »
Taro already posted clarifications on GAF. His sources confirm that the decision was made independent of the campaign.

Which is what i told you guys a month ago....

Offline ROJM

« Reply #217 on: November 13, 2014, 03:44:44 am »
Maybe we should attempt another big push for #SEGAPCPorts now that VC came out... You know, strike while the iron is hot.
I wonder if Taro Yamada still posts here, we can organize another push...

Before we all get carried away maybe we should consider why VC was popular. Isn't it the type of genre that would appeal to PC gamers, strategy or tactical rpgs are still close to the tactical simulation games like COMPANY OF HEROES..TOTAL WAR and WARHAMMER and that type of titles. Of course the difference is that its a full blown RPG with heavy japan anime elements in it..and it was cheap. I think it might depend on the type of game that they releae..after all Steam/PC didn't save BINARY DOMAIN did it? So why would VANQUISH be any different.

Offline Sharky

• Total Meseta: 44
« Reply #218 on: November 13, 2014, 04:09:23 am »
VC was carried by hype and word of mouth, Sega barely made an effort... Considering the amount of people frothing over VANQUISH on various sites I think it could do very well... Others, Virtua Fighter 5 would be much more modest... Unfortunately.
Made by SEGA

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #219 on: November 13, 2014, 04:45:10 am »
VC was carried by hype and word of mouth, Sega barely made an effort.

It be interesting to see the real sales as I doubt they're really massive. I doubt it mean we'll ever get a full blown sequel with Canvas II powering it for the next gen sadly . Imo and I've said it for years all of SEGA's games should be on PC just like it used to do in the DC and Saturn days .

I've never understood why they aren't when most of the games are developed on the PC for starters , even if they just sell 50,000 units its easy money
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline Trippled

• Total Meseta: 14
« Reply #220 on: November 13, 2014, 05:30:24 am »
I doubt it mean we'll ever get a full blown sequel with Canvas II powering it for the next gen sadly .

I doubt there is such a thing, these anime cel-shaded game seem to barely advance.
Most that they would do is putting more objects into a map (more detail).

Offline Team Andromeda

• Total Meseta: 39
« Reply #221 on: November 13, 2014, 06:10:16 am »
I doubt there is such a thing, these anime cel-shaded game seem to barely advance.
Most that they would do is putting more objects into a map (more detail).

There's always room to advance and add in more lighting effects and what not , just look at the likes of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jDZfREYppk

Just think there's no major market for this Val IV  at full price be that on PC or consoles , Seems that open world RPG's are much more in demand sadly
Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
One of the best 3D shooting games available
Presented for your pleasure

Offline ROJM

« Reply #222 on: November 13, 2014, 08:09:37 am »
VC was carried by hype and word of mouth, Sega barely made an effort... Considering the amount of people frothing over VANQUISH on various sites I think it could do very well... Others, Virtua Fighter 5 would be much more modest... Unfortunately.

That's mainly because people thought Sega gave into to their campaign..which we know they didn't. Anyway with this and the recent VC3 costumes...i'm thinking that Sega has a VC title in the works...its just too coincidental that you have the PC game in the west and VC related items for PHANTASY STAR NOVA...obviously they're pushing VC for a reason....

Offline Aki-at

• Total Meseta: 61
  • The Dragon
« Reply #223 on: November 13, 2014, 08:27:06 am »
That's mainly because people thought Sega gave into to their campaign..which we know they didn't. Anyway with this and the recent VC3 costumes...i'm thinking that Sega has a VC title in the works...its just too coincidental that you have the PC game in the west and VC related items for PHANTASY STAR NOVA...obviously they're pushing VC for a reason....

It could just be testing the waters too. Maybe they want to continue the franchise, which is obvious from the amount of tie ins they've done but they are unsure how much the audience want it. This is a relatively easy way to see if a sequel may get enough attention.

Offline ROJM

« Reply #224 on: November 13, 2014, 08:39:31 am »
It could just be testing the waters too. Maybe they want to continue the franchise, which is obvious from the amount of tie ins they've done but they are unsure how much the audience want it. This is a relatively easy way to see if a sequel may get enough attention.
I would say that if it was a single approach..but usually if its done like this..its usually a tie in or build up to something. SOJ kinda does this from time to time where they tie in a game to a big selling game as a promotion..SHINING REASONACE had that recently before it came out..i think...