You are probably sitting there thinking whats a bio and why should I give a damn? I mean, you have been playing your beautiful SEGA Dreamcast games just fine without these custom, fancy fan bios. First what is a bio? Well, you know that information that the system loads before it boots your game? That’s it.
What does this revised fan bios replace? Let’s check the list!
- Region free: boot GD/CD from any regions
- No VGA flag check: no matter if the game supports the VGA output, the lets it boot
- Bootfile extent check: allow a game to boot even if its bootfile, more commonly called 1ST_READ.BIN, is not located on the outer part of the disc
- SEGA License screen skip
- MIL-CD/backup direct boot
- Black fade-in color while booting from menu
- No VMU copy-protected file check
I tend to play my Dreamcast in VGA mode like most (cool) people, so the idea of just skipping the check on boot might be a good thing for me.The issue? the method for installing takes some talent with a soldering iron, something that I just don’t have.