If you didn’t know, we here at SEGAbits are huge fans of the Official Dreamcast Magazine, so you know we totally geeked out knowing that Francesca Reyes (ODCM writer and OXM editor-in-chief) and Simon Cox (Editor-in-chief OCDM) were coming on the podcast. But that isn’t all, we also have a unique perspective coming from Ricardo Torres (working at CNET Gamecenter, coming from early online media compared to print at the time) who gets massive SEGA props for having more Samba de Amigo maraca sets than all the staff combined. I’m really happy with the way the podcast turned out this week, full of nostalgia and the perfect way to kick off the 14th anniversary of the Dreamcast.
[Download] [RSS] [iTunes] [Archive]
Swingin’ Report Show #50: Dreamcast Birthday Bash with Francesca Reyes, Simon Cox, & Ricardo Torres
- Francesca Reyes – Former writer for the Official Dreamcast Magazine and current editor-in-chief of the Official Xbox Magazine
- Simon Cox – Former editor-in-chief of the Official Dreamcast Magazine and a video game media veteran working on EDGE, GMR, Xbox Nation, 1UP.com, GameQ, and NVision
- Ricardo Torres – CNET Gamecenter, Former editor-in-chief of Gamespot
Round Table Discussion:
- What memorable moments do you have from the Dreamcast’s American launch?
- From a gaming media perspective, what was it like working with the SEGA of America of the Dreamcast era?
- How did you handle the Dreamcast’s demise, both as fans as as journalists?
- How do you think the Dreamcast impacted modern gaming, and how has modern gaming media changed since the Dreamcast days?
- Barry the Nomad for Fran: “Using the ODCM review scale, what would you have rated Shenmue II and PSO?”
- David of Sonic Retro:“When Sonic Adventure 2 was announced, did SEGA let you in on the ground floor to write up your previews for the game, or were they secretive, forcing you to look towards other sources that gave information that you knew could turn out to be false?” http://i.imgur.com/Wen4kYB.png
- 8bit from Racketboy: “When exactly did you guys know the Dreamcast was going to be phased out and the magazine would be ending?”
- superyoda41 from Racketboy: “Did Sega ever interfere with the content of the magazine, in terms of reviews/opinions, especially in the waning days of the system?”
- CRTGAMER from Racketboy: “How did demo disc content, including exclusives like Toy Commander’s Christmas missions, come about?”
- George for Fran: ” Tell me more about these photos we posted on Instagram: http://instagram.com/p/NCfqLvx7Cw/ / http://instagram.com/p/M05qCER7If/ “