Holy crap! Ten screens, boxart AND an expanded game description for Sonic 4 Episode 2 are available for viewing thanks to what can only be a mistimed release on XBOX.com. No SEGA Blog announcement or anything, all this just appeared today! The XBOX site also mentions that the game is offline AND online 1-2 player co-op. Enough from me, check out the official description of the game below and check out screens after the break!
UPDATE: the screens have been removed from XBOX.com. Good thing I saved them!
UPDATE 2: Another piece of info has been added and quickly removed, a mention of a 5/16/2012 release date. This bit of info was noted at The Sonic Stadium Boards and this date matches up with our earlier reported April/May release date of the comic adaptation. The cover art has also now been removed from XBOX.com.
The Sonic 4 Saga continues as Sonic reunites with Tails for all new collaborative play! Following the events of Episode I, Metal Sonic has returned to form a formidable alliance with Dr. Eggman! To face this new threat, Sonic will have to call upon an old friend to help him save the day! Joined by Tails, utilise ingenious combination moves and race across four brand new Zones, in order to put an end to their evil plans! Play alone, or with a friend locally (and online), in an evolution of Sonic 2’s collaborative gameplay! Unleash Sonic and Tails’ devastating joint attacks and combination moves to fight the united force of Metal Sonic and Dr. Eggman. Episode II features an all new game engine, bringing you updated physics and an original graphical style as you race through four unique Zones and a new Special Stage.
- Are those fully rendered 3D graphics I see for the environments?
- CLASSIC Tornado returns! No silly plastic looking Unleashed model.
- Sonic 4 haters will moan about the string of bubbles returning.
- Sonic and Tails have a combo attack! Seems the teaser trailer was more than just flashy effects.
- Aquatic Ruin was the rehash stage Ken Balough was talking about.
- A mysterious planet with a mechanical skeletal structure appears in the background of some screens. Is it Earth? Sonic CD’s Little Planet? Calling it now: Eggman intends to build the Death Egg around Little Planet from Sonic CD.
- Sonic/Tails shippers will love their attack pose. 😛
- Another stage theme appears to be a winter theme park. Ice Cap meets Carnival Night?
- Tails carrys Sonic again! Wonder if that’s the player as Tails, or if we can change Sonic and Tails on the fly?
- Underwater ice stage could be a third stage, or an extension of the theme park.
- Metal Sonic appears riding Tail’s red rocket from Sonic 4 Episode 1. Nice to see a bit of continuity there.
- A third (or fourth) stage looks like an oil refinery zone. Looks like there is a lot of sand being moved around.
- Episode 1 has the Sonic 1 bonus stage, episode 2 will have the Sonic 2 bonus stage. Hope Tails doesn’t get in the way this time!
- Given how different Episode 2 is looking, I doubt it will lock on with Episode 1.
18 responses to “Sonic 4 Episode 2 Screens (NOT Concept Art) For Your Viewing Pleasure!”
Fuck man I was just about to post this…
Looks worlds better then Episode 1!
Yeah, it almost looks like the 2D Generations stages! Looking really good, like a proper Sonic 4! I’ll admit, I defend and enjoy the first episode, but this just blows it out of the water. Makes episode 1 look like a flash game by comparison.
LOLing at the top middle screenshot.
Tails – Sonic! There’s a group of badniks heading this way.
Sonic – You know what that means Tails. WE GOTTA 69 EACH OTHER!
Tails – Alright!!
YES! Sonic 4-I was fun and this looks so much better. Finally co-op!!!
At this rate, me and Nux might have enough material for another podcast this week!
Screens were removed. Glad I saved them!
these look great! I cant believe we’ve never had a snowy carnival zone before. Such a relief to see new level concepts!
it seems that the game is rendered in 3D with a 2D gameplay
they call it 69 everywhere on the web
I don’t care if sega release a sonic game every year. If they look this good, I want even more!!! ^_^
Time to super duper buy all copies for this game. Looks even more beautiful. I hope they let you play zones from E1. 4 zones won’t be enough.
And that tag team looks SO wrong.
Looks amazing but….
I just cant get over the fact you only get four levels :/
Maybe when they release all episodes together as one with reduced price Ill get it, but I cant bring myself to buy a game Ill beat in a afternoon
true, 4 is a small number, but when you consider the improvements and the potential of two to four ways to play – sonic, tails, sonic and tails, tails and sonic – spread over 12 acts, it should have more to do than in episode 1.
Added an update, XBOX.com posted and then removed a 5/16 release date.
I totally called it as May last month. Fits in with the Archie adaption timing.
-wipes tear from eye- All I need now is a hot ass soundtrack and this will be so God-Tier….